Leora & Paul Pictures - Split #1

Actually Mandarin comes 1st, English 2nd, Hindustani is 3rd and Spanish comes a sad 4th.

I suggest you check the validity of your source:

1  Mandarin (Chinese)

2  Spanish

3  English

4  Hindi

5  Arabic

These stats are from sources like The Linguistics Society and Ethnologue.

mandarin Chinese is the mother of all languages, native or not is the most spoken

the Spanish goes second, con416.580.000 speakers-, while it is down the proportion of Chinese speakers mandarin as their mother tongue (1,213 million) and English (328 million).

According to the latest report of the Cervantes Institute, has become also in the second language of international communication and the third most widely used on the Internet.

Let's learn Spanish. (repeat)

chino mandarin es la madre de todas las lenguas,nativos o no es la màs hablada

el español va en segundo lugar,con416.580.000 hablantes-, mientras que está descendiendo la proporción de hablantes de chino mandarín como lengua materna (1.213 millones) y de inglés (328 millones).

Según el último informe del Instituto Cervantes, se ha convertido también en el segundo idioma de comunicación internacional y en el tercero más utilizado en Internet.

Aprendamos español. (insisto) 8)

Don't forget, you also have to look at quality as well as quantity.

A language spoken predominantly by illiterate peasants doesn't really qualify as a dominant language.

mandarin Chinese is the mother of all languages, native or not is the most spoken

the Spanish goes second, con416.580.000 speakers-, while it is down the proportion of Chinese speakers mandarin as their mother tongue (1,213 million) and English (328 million).

According to the latest report of the Cervantes Institute, has become also in the second language of international communication and the third most widely used on the Internet.

Let's learn Spanish. (repeat)

chino mandarin es la madre de todas las lenguas,nativos o no es la màs hablada

el español va en segundo lugar,con416.580.000 hablantes-, mientras que está descendiendo la proporción de hablantes de chino mandarín como lengua materna (1.213 millones) y de inglés (328 millones).

Según el último informe del Instituto Cervantes, se ha convertido también en el segundo idioma de comunicación internacional y en el tercero más utilizado en Internet.

Aprendamos español. (insisto) 8)

Don't forget, you also have to look at quality as well as quantity.

A language spoken predominantly by illiterate peasants doesn't really qualify as a dominant language.

Eres americano ¿tal vez?

I think the stats tell one story. Who can argue with Chinese being the biggest language, however, mandarin is totally useless if you are travelling the world!!!

English and Spanish allows people to travel most of the world and never have a problem communicating with local people. This is what makes English in particular the true 'world language'.

Apparently more than 60 million people in China speak English. That is more than the number of Brits living in the UK!!!

Spanish covers a large area of the globe and if our US friends are to be believed it is rapidly becoming of equal use as English in some states!!!

English is THE world language. Everyone should learn it then I can safely travel the world without my translation book!!!

16h32 en FRANCE : elle se caresse dans la pénombre....

I agree!!!

In theese dicussions people often refers to how many people speak a language as their native toung. Well, then probably chinese, arabic and so on are the largest languages. But that's not the only way to view this. It's much more intresting to look for how big portion of the worlds population that understands a language. And then English is a major language. Some people feels a bit uneven when their language isn't a world language. But they should instead feel happy about it. There is a strong indication that the more languages you speak the more functional your brain gets. People that masters several languages does get smarter. It's not like only smart people can manage other languages, you do get smarter by learning an extra language. So please let the English talking people have it their way and use their language in international contacts, then all of us other get a bit smarter and they feel happy, it's a win win =)

Since this is a international board it is not very polite to use other languages, at least thats my oppinion.