Translation software

TBG 150

Does anyone know if there is a software out there that will present the boards to us in a chosen language? It seems that 50% of this site is all in different languages and not to knock anyone for their native tongue, but damn it makes for a very hard read when 8 replies are in English and then 5 more are in French and German. I just turn it off.

I've searched, but a blind man can do better searches in the dark than I can in daylight.

Trying to use Google Translate for every reply or post is a waste of time and you lose the continuity of the thread. There is software to translate a foreign language based website. Why can't there be one to translate to a chosen language by the viewer?

In general, I write in English, but if it's too long to write or read, or if I'm too tired, I do it with Google Translation which is for me one of the best.

As I made ​​to understand your message and as I do to answer you.

I have a plugin that can translate a site in the language that I choose, but I don't think it can translate different languages ​​simultaneously. We need all the site is in the same language.

Moreover, Google Translation also makes it.

Does anyone know if there is a software out there that will present the boards to us in a chosen language? It seems that 50% of this site is all in different languages and not to knock anyone for their native tongue, but damn it makes for a very hard read when 8 replies are in English and then 5 more are in French and German. I just turn it off.

I've searched, but a blind man can do better searches in the dark than I can in daylight.

Trying to use Google Translate for every reply or post is a waste of time and you lose the continuity of the thread. There is software to translate a foreign language based website. Why can't there be one to translate to a chosen language by the viewer?

I absolutely agree.  However, since we can't keep it in one language (and ADMIN, I hope you consider this for a rule for the site), If whoever starts a post starts it in English it should stay in English period.  That way the French, German, or any other language cannot get mad about most people on here that wants to speak English.  If I see a post with a different language, I can move on and not offend that person due to language translation.

Just a thought...

I haven't had any trouble with Google Translate from French so far.  I haven't tried the German or Spanish yet.  But my comparison is the butcher job they do on other sites when I am translating from Chinese.

It's probably a good idea--probably as a request rather than a rule--to ask that replies to a thread started in English also be in English.  But occasionally, there are great videos or pictures posted with a comment in a language other than English.  If the pictures are good, I am glad to have them no matter what language or in what thread.

And if you skip all posts started in a foreign language, you can miss some good pictures or information, such as who Vika is and the discovery that she is on Facebook in a variant of this name.  I only got access to this information through Google Translate.

Now what would really be helpful is to tell all those RLC couples to speak in English . . .  ;D

I haven't had any trouble with Google Translate from French so far.  I haven't tried the German or Spanish yet.  But my comparison is the butcher job they do on other sites when I am translating from Chinese.

It's probably a good idea--probably as a request rather than a rule--to ask that replies to a thread started in English also be in English.  But occasionally, there are great videos or pictures posted with a comment in a language other than English.  If the pictures are good, I am glad to have them no matter what language or in what thread.

And if you skip all posts started in a foreign language, you can miss some good pictures or information, such as who Vika is and the discovery that she is on Facebook in a variant of this name.  I only got access to this information through Google Translate.

Now what would really be helpful is to tell all those RLC couples to speak in English . . .  ;D

We already know that Alma speaks English so we have a starting point.

Getting all the threads in a coherent language would be great. I have no problem using Google translate on a whole tread. works very easy. But translating each post from a different one. I've stopped that. Its impossible to follow a thread this way.

But the idea of the starting post being the decisive factor in which language. I'm all for that!

Getting all the threads in a coherent language would be great. I have no problem using Google translate on a whole tread. works very easy. But translating each post from a different one. I've stopped that. Its impossible to follow a thread this way.

But the idea of the starting post being the decisive factor in which language. I'm all for that!

Thank you nightquest, karma point to you.

So, other than Google Translate we're basically on our own. Well, that sucks. All replies here have their merit, and the idea about a thread remaining in the initial language is a great one.

Pictures? We all love them. No matter what language they are in. My eyes are multi-lingual, but my brain isn't. I do recall visiting some websites found in searches that ask if you would like this translated to English.

I just thought that some of the tech people here would be aware of some type of software that would provide such a service.

I guess I'd better buy Rossetta Stone's book.  ;D

Like I posted in the beginning, I never look down on a person because of a language barrier. I see it as a chance to maybe learn something.

Is it possible to get just the text body of a thread into Google Translate? Meaning I can exclude the avatars, handles, likes/dislikes, etc... You say it's easy. I'm a willing student.

Guest Squirrel

If there is one I don't know of it. The best ones out there are Google Translate and babel/babelfish (from yahoo). But they take the entire page not just the posts. I don't think its easy for software to differentiate between the two. Its all just html

I simply keep translate.google.com open on another screen and cut-and-paste the text. Still, there still is a problem with computer-translator software when it encounters slang, idiomatic phrases, complex grammar structures and misspelled words. Alas, I cannot afford to buy IBM's "Watson" supercomputer or I'd loan it out to CamCaps in a jiffy.

I realize many people understand some English (thanks to the British Royal Navy of previous centuries) but I also believe it would be a mistake to dismiss the contributions of our non-English speaking members. A satisfactory solution to this communication problem will remain elusive.  :'(

I don't think we should have either a rule or a request to stick to the original language in a thread.  Here's a good example of why not:  There was a thread started in French today in the Nora and Kiko section.  The title of the thread was:  "après nastya, je vous présente viktoria".

I don't know French, but I used Google Translate and realized he had discovered the Facebook page of Viktoria (Vika--the mystery guest).  I replied in English, and then I did my own research on Facebook with the hint from the original post. I found her, including her real (or at least real for Facebook purposes) name and lots of her photos.  Many of her pictures are beautiful, and some are taken in beautiful settings.  She has flair and beauty like a model; maybe she is one.

I would not have been able to have posted replies in that French-started thread, if I had to write my own French. I also wouldn't want to make a reverse translation with Google Translate and copy-and-paste that--because I wouldn't really know if what was posted was what I tried to say.  I guess I could have started my own English thread and refer in it to the translated version of the French thread.  We could do that--but we'd have multiple threads on the same subject.  I would be okay with that rule, but I wouldn't vote for it.

Also, if I bypassed all foreign language posts that open new threads, I would not have learned about Vika or seen her Facebook photos.  Because we are not supposed to post real identities, I won't state her full name.  But you can use the original post that was made in the French thread about her (after using a translate program if  you don't know French) and do your own research.  He gave you enough information to find the FB pages.