Rankings

timcol

Europeans, especially Germans, are willing to pay more for cars in general.

I am a german, and I have never paid more than 7.000 EUR for a car. Germans buy many extras, but hardly no one buys a new car. Most new (1-2 years) cars on the market are used company cars (leasing)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NullBurner

Many Germans doing this, i know but not all of us wants to have a second hand car.

I got a 1977 Pinto....automatic...w/AM radio

You are a wise man, wiser than i am... saves you a lot of money.

I need a truck full of gas behind me, when i planning to drive somewhere outside Hessen.

I had a Ford Fiesta when i was 20 or 21 Years old. Was a small, but cool car.

I was dreaming from a Ford Mustang at this time. It's a shame that I never bought one.

Now I don't have time to working on it, when i had one, you know..., the wife, the kids, the work and all.

Wish i could go back in time...

post-0-145739590479_thumb.jpg

Guest Squirrel

One thing that should be understood is that Vintage Car Restoration actually has NOTHING to do with cars.

It is done primarily by established Baby-Boomer men (people born from 1945 to about 1959), who' s first car was extremely used. With little money, we all fixed these beasts ourselves, learning mechanics -- and in my case -- machining. Many guys customized their vehicles as money and time permitted. It was a labour of love, but the incentive was high: If you didn't have a car, you probably could not snag a girlfriend. Simple.

In my age group, there are now many men who are currently hanging out in the garage restoring that special "dream" car  or "dream" Harley they had always wanted in their youth. It's a way of recovering their youth, getting away from the wife's bouncing estrogen levels, and it enables them to participate in old, dying American cultural customs such as self-reliance, craftsmanship, and "Yankee" ingenuity. And it keeps 'em out of bars and therefore the women put up with our hobbies.

TBG's not talking about driving a car here. He's talking about driving a work of art.

We old guys like machines. Too bad the younger generation is missing out on this simple, but fulfilling, "hobby" of spending weekends working in the garage...

PS. Sorry you didn't keep the Fiesta in the box. It'd be a museum piece today... (But then again, so would a mint Yugo...)

A Pinto stick with no A/C. Man, that's riden' brother. Beats a Vega hands down. You could watch a Vega rust while you drove it.

The Fiesta got what? 40 miles to the gallon. My Cadillac does about 9 mpg around town. In Germany the cost of fuel has to be on par with Australia. About $9.00/US gallon, USD.

Let's see...First car was a 1969 Plymouth GTX 426 Hemi. I traded that off for a 1969 Cadillac, triple white and never looked back. The police never looked at the Cadillac. They were always trying to catch me in the GTX. Few did.

Look. If just one of the big three would make a nice roomy rear wheel drive sedan, they wouldn't be able to keep up with sales. Instead, because we have a stupid shit bunch of planet saving Demoncats, we have to drive around in these tiny litle Euroboxes.

Why do you think Americans buy these huge trucks and SUV's? There are no cars that you can put a family of four in without someone getting crushed if you slide the front seat back. These little econoboxes are a big joke. Gimme a Merc 600. Something with power and room for 5. Just lower the price a bit. I mean jeez, $100K for a car?

Guest Squirrel

??? What was this thread originally about? Yes, karma. Similar to Karman Ghia. Therefore it's about cars now.

My first was a '66 Triumph Spitfire (not British Leyland!). Cost me $500 bucks, got 45 mpg, slow as a turtle, but cornered like a bunny rabbit. I drove it 25 years, and I could rebuild the engine in the dark. I even survived the Lucas electricals. Girl friends loved it.

I miss it more than I miss them!