Best Australian Songs Ever

Aussie_oi_oi

"Khe Sanh" is an Australian song, released as a 45 rpm single in May 1978, and named after the district capital of Hướng Hóa District, Quảng Trị Province, Vietnam. The song, performed by Cold Chisel, having been written by pianist Don Walker, is about an Australian Vietnam veteran dealing with his return to civilian life. According to Toby Creswell's liner notes for the band's 1991 compilation album Chisel, the song is also a story of restless youth.

Enjoy Aussie Music during these terrible times.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Down Under" is a song recorded by Australian rock band Men at Work. It was originally released in 1980 as the B-side to their first local single titled "Keypunch Operator", released before the band signed with Columbia Records. Both early songs were written by the group's co-founders, Colin Hay and Ron Strykert. 

• Like 1

Hi Aussie,I remember when I was in Primary School (a long time ago)we were taught to sing "Waltzing Matilda"surely the most famous Aussie song ever.

Hell I taught my own kids to sing it😀.That only lead to "Dad what's a billabong!!,"Dad what's a swagman"etc,etc,.😀

Extremely happy days.

Just thought I would share

• Like 3

21 hours ago, nagachilli2 said:

How about '2 Little Boys' or 'Tie me Kangaroo Down Sport'...😏

Just joking...😉

Hi Naga,hope you don't think I'm being rude but given that the singer of the aforementioned songs is a convicted paedophile do you think it's wise to even mention them.

Personally I never discuss anything to do with,JS,GG,or RH.as they disgust me.

Once again Naga I apologise if I am speaking out of turn here but I just felt I had to mention it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave 27 said:

Hi Naga,hope you don't think I'm being rude but given that the singer of the aforementioned songs is a convicted paedophile do you think it's wise to even mention them.

Once again Naga I apologise if I am speaking out of turn here but I just felt I had to mention it.

That's absolutely fine Dave. It was a bad joke, in bad taste which I regretted posting...Apologies to you the forum 

sad and sorry smiley

15 hours ago, Dave 27 said:

I am still learning something new every day!!!

Jimmy Barnes has said of the song, "I went to America just after Bodyswerve and met Jonathan Cain, who was in The Babys and Journey. It means a lot to me. Most people thought it was written about me, but it was actually written about my audience - staunch, honest people, who work and who care." Barnes said that, due to the "great band" he had, the recording was done in about 5 takes. "It was fun to sing, so I was really pleased. I didn't realise how much of an impact it would have as an image centre for the next five years."

The music video was filmed in Australia at the Port Kembla Steelworks in Wollongong, New South Wales, and in cane fields near Cairns in Queensland. The Director/DOP of the clip was Chris Frazer and the Producer/2nd unit Camera was Mark Lovick.

• Like 1

"Great Southern Land" is a single released by the Australian rock band Icehouse. It was released in August 1982, before the album Primitive Man. Peaking at number five on the Australian Singles Chart, it was later featured in the 1988 Yahoo Serious film Young Einstein,and remains their most popular song according to listeners of Triple M in 2007.

It was re-released in the U.S. on Chrysalis Records in 1989 as both a 7" and CD single, to coincide with the U.S. release of the compilation album, Great Southern Land.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll)" is a song by Australian hard rock band AC/DC. It is the first track of the group's second album T.N.T., released only in Australia on 8 December 1975, and was written by Angus Young, Malcolm Young and Bon Scott. The song combines bagpipes with hard rock instrumentation; in the middle section of the song there is a call and response between the bagpipes and guitar.The original recording is in B-flat major, but it was played live in A major.

A slightly shortened version of the song is also the first track on the internationally released High Voltage (May 1976). This version appears only on the vinyl release and the 2003 CD reissue.

The full version of the song is also on the Volts CD of the Bonfire box set, released in 1997.

This was a signature song for Bon Scott. Brian Johnson, who replaced Scott as AC/DC's lead vocalist after Scott's death in 1980 until his departure in 2016, did not perform it, out of respect for his predecessor.

In January 2018, as part of Triple M's "Ozzest 100", the 'most Australian' songs of all time, "It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll)" was ranked number 5.

• Like 2

"You're the Voice" is a song written by Andy Qunta, Keith Reid, Maggie Ryder and Chris Thompson, and recorded by the Australian singer John Farnham and released as a single in September 1986 ahead of his album, Whispering Jack."You're the Voice" was one of the biggest hits of 1986 in Australia, topping the Kent Music Report singles chart for seven weeks from 3 November to 21 December. At the ARIA Music Awards of 1987 it won Single of the Year.

• Like 1