#BLACK_LIVES_MATTER #1

Guest hacıvat

15 minutes ago, TBG 150 said:

I don't get it. The guy was drunk, he was walking/running away and he gets shot in the back. By any standard that's unacceptable. The police had his wallet in their possession, they knew where he lived. They could have just set up an ambush to take him down when he got home. He would have never expected it.

I only say it's a tough call on how to charge the cops because I wasn't there. I wasn't in that situation. The perp already fired at the LEO's with a Taser. That is considered a weapon.

Why the dude didn't just go to jail for the night and sleep it off is unknown. Up until the point he was going to be cuffed, he was going with the program. Had he just remained quiet, he probably would have just gone home if he had someone to pick him up.

A simple, 'Yes, Sir, No, Sir', even if you are in the wrong will save you a shitload of grief. The Courtroom is the place for controversy, not the street.

The guy was drunk, so if the police just let him go and on the way home he stepped in front of a vehicle and was killed what would the news story have been then, police negligent of protecting the welfare of drunk Black man?  Also, once the victim resisted arrest, fought with the police and grabbed the tazer he was guilty of much more than just the crime of DUI.

1 hour ago, Ridgerunner said:

The guy was drunk, so if the police just let him go and on the way home he stepped in front of a vehicle and was killed what would the news story have been then, police negligent of protecting the welfare of drunk Black man?  Also, once the victim resisted arrest, fought with the police and grabbed the tazer he was guilty of much more than just the crime of DUI.

I think you misread TGB150 post--he said "he probably would have just gone home if he had someone to pick him up."  No one has said anywhere to just let him go.

On your previous post and the allegation that the cops stood on him and kicked him, I have seen the videos that have been shown and the still shot produced by the DA and nothing gives a clear indication that actually happened. 

22 hours ago, nagachilli2 said:

So it transpires that Rayshard Brooks was kicked in the back after the cop had shot him, and the other cop stood on him...:dodgy:

Nothing is clear in either the video or the still shots the DA has shown---it is only an allegation by the DA that it did happen--but again nothing we have seen to indicate that actually did happen. 

What transpired was again tragic, but if it was murder, will be determined in a court of law----.  Irregardless, IMO, the police could have used less lethal force to effect an arrest --but we have to somehow put

ourselves in their position, after being overpowered by Rayshard and being fired at with a taser---adrenalin, emotions run high in a combat situation.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, happyone said:

Nothing is clear in either the video or the still shots the DA has shown---it is only an allegation by the DA that it did happen--but again nothing we have seen to indicate that actually did happen. 

Probably the same stills I saw on BBC News yesterday,...But hasn't the cop been charged with murder, or did I mishear earlier today?

4 minutes ago, nagachilli2 said:

Probably the same stills I saw on BBC News yesterday,...But hasn't the cop been charged with murder, or did I mishear earlier today?

He was charged with murder by the DA, the same DA that alleged that one kicked him and one stood on him using unclear documentation IMO.  Again, just because he was charged does not mean he is guilty--

In the USA,  presumably you are innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law. It will however, IMO, be hard for the cop charged to get a fair trial in Atlanta, where the incident occurred, but we will see. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, happyone said:

He was charged with murder by the DA, the same DA that alleged that one kicked him and one stood on him using unclear documentation IMO.  Again, just because he was charged does not mean he is guilty--

In the USA,  presumably you are innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law. It will however, IMO, be hard for the cop charged to get a fair trial in Atlanta, where the incident occurred, but we will see. 

I noticed that the officer who shot Brooks was carrying his tazer when he was chasing Brooks, so the tazer Brooks had belonged to the other officer. With as fast as things happened could the officer who shot Brooks have thought that Brooks had the other officer's gun instead of the tazer?  That's why there needs to be a thorough investigation. 

5 minutes ago, Ridgerunner said:

I noticed that the officer who shot Brooks was carrying his tazer when he was chasing Brooks, so the tazer Brooks had belonged to the other officer. With as fast as things happened could the officer who shot Brooks have thought that Brooks had the other officer's gun instead of the tazer?  That's why there needs to be a thorough investigation. 

It's possible Ridge...It'll all come out in the wash, as they say...

• Like 1

I wish the cop would have read him his rights and explained to Brooks that he was going to arrest him and why instead of just starting to cuff him out of nowhere, especially since Brooks was in a such a lighthearted mood when talking to him, maybe all of this could have been avoided.

I feel bad for the officers though because that's a very difficult situation to be in, even in retrospect it's hard to figure out what was the right thing to do. So many things could have gone wrong if they just let him run away. Of course in an ideal society they would have just taken his keys and let him walk home but I think that treatment is mostly reserved for celebrities in this messed up world.

10 hours ago, AntEater said:

I wish the cop would have read him his rights and explained to Brooks that he was going to arrest him and why instead of just starting to cuff him out of nowhere, especially since Brooks was in a such a lighthearted mood when talking to him, maybe all of this could have been avoided.

I feel bad for the officers though because that's a very difficult situation to be in, even in retrospect it's hard to figure out what was the right thing to do. So many things could have gone wrong if they just let him run away. Of course in an ideal society they would have just taken his keys and let him walk home but I think that treatment is mostly reserved for celebrities in this messed up world.

The guy was no danger. All they have to do is call for backup and then arrest him as normal. No need to shoot him.Even if he would have managed to escape, which is very unlikely, the whole thing would probably have ended without any problems. They probably could have arrested him at his home the next day. 

Sorry, but this is exactly the kind of violation of human rights that "#BLACK_LIVES_MATTER" is about. The police must be able and willing not to cause harm to harmless people. No matter what skin colour or social status. 

5 hours ago, Alladino said:

The guy was no danger. All they have to do is call for backup and then arrest him as normal. No need to shoot him.Even if he would have managed to escape, which is very unlikely, the whole thing would probably have ended without any problems. They probably could have arrested him at his home the next day. 

Sorry, but this is exactly the kind of violation of human rights that "#BLACK_LIVES_MATTER" is about. The police must be able and willing not to cause harm to harmless people. No matter what skin colour or social status. 

No danger? Two weeks ago the Black DA who is prosecuting this case said a taser is a deadly weapon. Harmless people? The guy attacked the officers, stole a taser and then shot the taser at an officer.  You are just an American cop hater. I call people like you an "uncle Tims". "Uncle Tim" is a liberal progressive White person who whenever there is a dispute between a Black person and a White person the Black person is always in the right and the White person is always wrong regardless of the facts in the case. You are the one who is unable to look past the color of a person's skin and judge everyone as an individual.  

• Like 2