Laptop trying to boot in X drive??

I wish I understood all that was said in this thread. I just don't have the time to sit and 'play' with a computer. This laptop here is almost 8 years old and it works great. I have a Win7 laptop that I would love to dig into and get it going again. TIME! It's something I'm still a few years away from getting plenty of. 

I wish that I even knew how to do a back-up of this one. Lots of files and pictures are on it. If someone told me to back it up. I'd give them a blank stare. I'd back them all up and then wipe this one clean. If I needed anything, they would be on the external drive. Or at least a copy of them would be. There has to be well over 20,000 pictures of all sorts of car rebuilds that need to be saved and categorized. NO TIME!

1 hour ago, TBG 150 said:

I wish I understood all that was said in this thread. I just don't have the time to sit and 'play' with a computer. This laptop here is almost 8 years old and it works great. I have a Win7 laptop that I would love to dig into and get it going again. TIME! It's something I'm still a few years away from getting plenty of. 

I wish that I even knew how to do a back-up of this one. Lots of files and pictures are on it. If someone told me to back it up. I'd give them a blank stare. I'd back them all up and then wipe this one clean. If I needed anything, they would be on the external drive. Or at least a copy of them would be. There has to be well over 20,000 pictures of all sorts of car rebuilds that need to be saved and categorized. NO TIME!

Get your self an External Hard Drive in an enclosure that plugs into a USB Port and just cut and paste them from where you have them stored onto the External Drive. A lot quicker than trying to back them up.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 11:43 PM, TBG 150 said:

I wish I understood all that was said in this thread. I just don't have the time to sit and 'play' with a computer.

I understand and commiserate with you, TBG, I'm kind of in the same boat as you, tech-wise.  Back in the day, when DOS was King, I could handle my own.  But when things went Winblows, I lost my edge.  That's why I reached out for help here on this forum, because I knew the resident geeks (and I say that with love and respect) would try to assist, and Stone helped me out.  I ended up fixing the laptop on my own, but he gave me the courage to try different things.  

Honestly, ask me anything about diesel engines, I can enthrall you for hours.  Ask me to break down "MACBETH" line by line and I can do it.  But ask me to explain this computer world - fugghedaboutit.  

In your situation, I would follow Stone's advice - get an external HD (the latest and greatest) and just drag/drop.  Almost all peripherals these days are "plug-n-play" with minimal installation, which is perfect for greenhorns like me.  Good luck!  

• Like 1

I've been looking at them on Amazon, their reviews and ratings. I figure to go with a large capacity (4 terabytes) and still have room for more in the future. 

Like me, I'll rebuild an engine, transmission, even do a nut and bolt restoration on an 80 year old car. I can build a house, do plumbing, electrical, tile setting and all that stuff. But, take the back off of a computer and about all I can do it blow the dust out of it.

Right now, I have to be like you and get out there and drive that dumb old truck!

IMG_20191218_105038435_TOP.jpg