Songs that shook the world!!!!

van the man

Guest bulgachica

Public Enemy - Bring the Noise (1987)

"Inspired by the Black Power Movement of the late 1960s, the Long Island collective – comprising Chuck D, Flavor Flav, Professor Griff, DJ Lord, the S1W and Terminator X – wanted to use hip-hop as a tool for social change. Their rebellious intent was signified by their logo – a b-boy in the centre of a sniper's crosshair – and musically, the production by their in-house crew the Bomb Squad was rowdy, accompanied by lyrics that bordered on hostile. Not that they cared; once frontman Chuck D declared hip-hop as the "Black CNN", they wanted not only to raise awareness, but point fingers too. The cover of their 1987 debut Yo! Bum Rush The Show was tagged with the line "The Government's Responsible", and their 1988 follow-up It Takes a Million To Hold Us Back was so raw with its black nationalist sentiments and style that it's been hailed by many as the greatest rap record of all time."

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Squirrel

In the past, great cathedrals were built throughout Europe. They were built by master masons, who could travel freely to design and construct them. The peasants would labor for years, and often decades. The point of pride wasn't just in the altar; or even the architecture; but also in the experience of being over-awed by what had been accomplished. The centerpiece was the pipe organ.

Bach would travel there, to test out the new organ. And he devised a musical composition that not only tested the power of what the people had built, but make the town's people proud of the efforts that had no doubt so drained them.

tgb150 knows more about this than I do. So I'll just leave this here for him and anyone else who has studied history. It is better heard on a Threshold with Theil speakers from uncompressed digital or direct analog equipment, but the power is still there. Crank it up!

Guest Squirrel

This topic was predicated on songs that shook the world.

This is an old English drinking tune. It is sung badly by 99.999% of Americans, but it still is sung by my cousins who descend from every country that ever existed on Earth who happen to live in the United States of America.

I prefer this rendition. This is best cranked up on a decent stereo. If the nation it represents goes to the dogs, your nation will follow. Thank you and have a nice day.  :)

Guest bulgachica

Nina Simone - I Wish I Knew (How It Would Feel to Be Free)

Of the many musicians who used their music to advance the cause of civil rights, Nina Simone was one of the most passionate, most outspoken and most gifted. Although many of her civil-rights-era songs had their origins earlier in the 20th century, this song was written in 1967 by noted black jazz pianist and educator Dr. Billy Taylor (along with Dick Dallas), and was recorded by Simone that same year. It quickly became one of the musical mainstays of the African-American civil liberties movement

Guest bulgachica

Both the songs I've posted so far shook the world, both are also American, not sure why you felt the need to make a veiled dig at the UK there, both countries have a massively rich culture of popular music.

Whilst my submissionss aren't from J.S Bach or Beethoven, (and face it, modern music cannot hold a candle to Das Wohltemperierte Klavier 1+2), they are more than worthy to be mentioned in the same thread as the good stuff posted by the others.

Guest Squirrel

I'm a big fan of Reverend Gary Davis.

Just sayin'... you won't find a pop musician who doesn't owe a lot to his time period and contributions.

Guest Squirrel

Incidentally, Squirrel has not made a veiled dig at English tunes. The tune for the US national anthem was originally in praise of wine; I'd need a belly full of wine to sing it; you would need a belly full of Scotch to survive my rendition of it. The notes are just too high for me.  The only American patriotic tune I could sing as a little kid in school was "My Country 'Tis of Thee." We were taught that song in between A-bomb drills. It's tune was, as you know, the anthem of the UK. The real lyrics of both versions are a glimpse into the history and culture of the nations.

Certainly national anthems are not great music, but they are songs that shook the world. Therefore, I state that I'm on topic here. I've always loved the tune of the Deutsche Nationalhymne, which ought to piss off a lot of my Euro friends. Especially those who hate Wagner.

I'd like to see Nora singing the "Star-Spangled Banner."  She probably could pull it off easily, but Squirrel can't without being arrested for disturbing the peace.

If she was older, given her ancestry, she'd know this one by heart:

Guest Pirate

I'm sure we old dudes can think of many more.....

I would have thought this topic should have generated many more responses, though must admit, I can't nominate a tune worthy yet, but am working on it. Australia is somewhat lacking in earth shattering moments.

Good to read some members personal views of the songs and why they picked them, more interesting than just cutting and pasting an old article.

Guest ww_watcher

No offense, but you aussies are more like us Americans than we Americans nowadays. We have lost our pioneering spirit as a nation and are letting assholes run our country.

Don't forget Olivia Newton-John's "Let's Get Physical" and other hits from Grease.

Guest ww_watcher

You have Sting (the Police), Little River band, and Cars et al. But most importantly you have "Waltzing Matilda."

I Should Be So Lucky' by Kyle!!! LOL!!!!

The little Aussie created a smash hit even though she sings like a Chipmonk!!!

Another great Aussie song is by Men at Work, 'Down Under'. A great tune that has become an Aussie anthem.

I love the Aussie's. They tell it how it is and defend their country to the hilt. They keep out the riff/raff and tell them to go back to their own country unless they behave like good Australians. Oh if only the UK would do the same.