Songs that shook the world!!!!

van the man

Guest ww_watcher

not a song, but when a person leaves a company and then comes back at a higher pay they are called a "boomerang." If it wasn't for the Aussies, Vauxhall would have gone the way of British Leyland.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bulgachica

I'm sure we old dudes can think of many more.....

I would have thought this topic should have generated many more responses, though must admit, I can't nominate a tune worthy yet, but am working on it. Australia is somewhat lacking in earth shattering moments.

Good to read some members personal views of the songs and why they picked them, more interesting than just cutting and pasting an old article.

Nick Cave, absolute genius.  I was fortunate to see him live in Barcelona last year. Awesome musician!

Guest bulgachica

Nick Cave - No Pussy Blues

Not world shaking but check out the lyrics, I'm sure every bloke has been there at least once with his Mrs.

Guest Pirate

I am surprised as to how many Aussie groups etc some of you guys have heard of. I guess it's down to personal taste, I still consider most ear shattering rather than earth shattering.

Personal favourite that I believe had a huge impact, Bob Seger and Night Moves. And I still own and play the original vinyl.

Guest ww_watcher

Speaking of Cap't Beefheart...

I finished my last two years of high school in an apartment with 2 roomies; one was my best friend in high school the other was a fellow in his first year of college. In 1973, my junior year, I had the only functioning car that weekend so I was elected to drive the older roommate's GF back to UT Austin (I grew up in Houston) after a weekend of debauchery. Her Dorm bunky's boyfriend was a doorman for the Armadillo World Headquarters. I was only 17 at the time but had never been ID'd and he just let me in. Lo' and behold Frank Zappa and Cap't Beefheart had just started recording the "Bongo Fury" Album. I had missed about 5 minutes of it. Not only was it the first Rock concert I had attended but it was also the first time I had witnessed weed smoking and bare titties in public. My world view changed that evening and it only took me 14 years to move to Austin...but I made it.

Great memories.

I remember having my first real sexual encounter with my then girlfriend in the upstairs bedroom whilst my mates were playing records downstairs.

At the key moment in my encounter the wonderful song 'Sugar Sugar' by the Archies began playing. I love that song and it brings back wonderful memories. The song was a huge hit around the world.

It didn't shake the world but for sure when it started playing at the crucial time, my world definitely began to shake!!!!

If I remember correctly, they called this 'Bubble Gum' rock, for those wearing the Letterman Sweater and  driving Dad's Dodge on a date with your best girl. Damn, I feel old sometimes.  :-\

I loved the Partridge Family. The music was great and Susan Day was more than a young teenager could stand. God she was gorgeous!!

Don't get me started on The Who. Won't get fooled again is beyond words and Baba Riley was the first recording to use electronic sounds.