Songs that shook the world!!!!

van the man

Guest Pirate

Can't get this to load but for those that might be interested to check it out, certainly shook Australia in the 1980s.

Tribute to all the Vietnam vets and all those from every war since. Today is ANZAC day in Australia, when we commemorate the landing at Gallipoli in 1915. Next year marks 100yrs and the Govt. in their wisdom is spending more on the 'celebrations' than we do on supporting our returned service men and women.

Need a few more protest songs and protests.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Squirrel

Tribute to all the Vietnam vets and all those from every war since. Today is ANZAC day in Australia, when we commemorate the landing at Gallipoli in 1915. Next year marks 100yrs and the Govt. in their wisdom is spending more on the 'celebrations' than we do on supporting our returned service men and women.

Need a few more protest songs and protests.

Ditto here from North America. A bit more support for those still under arms is needed, too.

Thank the ANZAC forces for us. We who know our history have a great respect for the fighting forces of your nation. Both my father and grandfather felt honored to fight along side your ancestors.

Guest bulgachica

My father still plays this song "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda"very well on guitar.  It's one of the most touching songs about the ANZACs.  There's  many different excellent versions - the original by Eric Bogle, who lives in Australia, is fantastic but here's the amazing version from The Dubliners that I grew up with.

Guest Pirate

I posted the song,‘I Was Only 19’, not because of its musical qualities, or to compare it with other tunes, but because it fits the thread, "What songs had a profound affect on the world or at least their country of origin........"

During the policing action (Australia didn’t declare war until we were about to pull out in 1973) approx. 60,000 Australians soldiers were involved, with 521 deaths and over 3,000 wounded. Small numbers compared to the USA but significant for such a small country.

‘I Was Only 19’, a first person account of the war, was released by Redgum in 1983, with royalties for the song donated to the Vietnam Veterans Association of Australia. The Vietnam vets didn’t receive a formal “Welcome Home” parade until October 1987, more than 14 years after the last soldier returned, far too late for many. Some the Returned and Services League of Australia (RSL) clubs, a support organisation for men and women who have served or are serving in the Australian Defence Force (ADF), refused Vietnam vets membership. They were also stopped from marching with returned service men and women in the annual ANZAC day marches.

A concert was held after the welcome home parade where ‘I Was Only 19’, was played live by the band, including the veterans that the song was based around. As a result of the message promoted by the song and the success of the concert, all of which assisted with the ground swell of support for the vets, a Vietnam Forces National Memorial was finally constructed in 1992.

What songs had a profound affect on the world or at least their country of origin........I think this one more than meets the criteria.

What an interesting story. When I started this thread that was I was hoping to see. Interesting stories or events linked to some music.

Maybe you have heard the song '19' by Paul Hardcastle. It was a big hit in the 1980's and the story of the song tells how the average age of the combat soldier in Vietnam was 19. It is a great tune that really tells a true story of what combat soldiers faced in that conflict.

19 in no age to be sent to a foreign land to fight an unknown enemy!!

Guest Squirrel

When I was in kindergarten and elementary school, we had more A-bomb drills than we did fire drills.

And it's May Day, and this song seems to be regaining its previous audience:

Guest Pirate

"And it's May Day, and this song seems to be regaining its previous audience:"

Interesting graphics, I've never seen the hammer and sickle depicted straddling the Americas and Europe before!

Guest Pirate

Better look up from DownUnder then. It's happening. Square mile, by square mile.

We do tend to forget the northern hemisphere exists sometimes, but acknowledge your comment, just look at Russia and south east Asia.

Unfortunately there's only two horses left in this race, communists and muslims. All the others are now no shows, knobbled by their own syndicates because they've allowed foreign investment to take a hold. All the stewards have been paid off too.