Ideas for improvements

FN

In different topics there are post about how to use this forum and how not to.

I have an idea that i would really like for this site. Hope you agree.

In each apartment thread there well be a "pictures" and a "video" thread. In these it is only allowed to contribute. Not to comment or anything else. only thing else alowed is reports of non functional links or videos.

This way members of this forum have easy access to the main content.

What do you guys think?

Guest noralover

Good idea FN!! That would get rid of all the haggling and also allow ALL members to see the photos/videos in one place.

Another thing (that might be difficult to add) would be a feature to comment a photo in a new thread.

Lets say that @noralover's reply here had i picture. Id would be so nice if the first person how wanted to comment on it, could start a new thread with a click on a button. And from then on the button would turn into a link to that thread.

I would love that. But lets keep this thread to my first idea. Give me all your pros and cons. 

Guest 862286

That's not a bad idea. I think it's something that Admin should consider in light of all the bs going back and forth. Maybe restrictions on some viewing of whats posted to non paying members may help even things out so that this site can resume somewhat to what it use to be. Agree or disagree, as a paying member that's my opinion.

I think it's a good idea. As long as you keep the 'like' button so people can show appreciation. nothing more demotivating than seeing '2000 viewed this' and not one 'thank you'.

Maybe it's also an idea to introduce some sort of system where you have to contribute something (small, just to show good will) in a special thread before you're allowed to post at all, even if you're registered? There's a lot of activity from newly created accounts with 1 or 2 posts whining for video's without even realising the backstory. (ok granted I also don't have a large record of posting content, but at least I try to contribute in one way or another -- eg technical help with rtmpdump)

I often read the forum from my phone while I'm at work, so the ability to view topics knowing roughly what the topic will contain and not have to wade through the garbage that has appeared lately would be great. So I am all for FN's idea.

I wait until I am at home and on my desktop to look in the Video topic, to see what I have missed while at work/sleep.

I have posted the occasional photo and appreciative that other people in other time zones post videos/photos that show what I have missed while at work/sleep. If I do miss something it’s no big deal and would not demand members to upload. I enjoy the conversations when on topic but spam and “going to bedroom cap someone†type post piss me off, more strict work by the moderators I think is required or have topics which are open to all comments and some that are heavily moderated.

I think it's a good idea. As long as you keep the 'like' button so people can show appreciation. nothing more demotivating than seeing '2000 viewed this' and not one 'thank you'.

Maybe it's also an idea to introduce some sort of system where you have to contribute something (small, just to show good will) in a special thread before you're allowed to post at all, even if you're registered? There's a lot of activity from newly created accounts with 1 or 2 posts whining for video's without even realising the backstory. (ok granted I also don't have a large record of posting content, but at least I try to contribute in one way or another -- eg technical help with rtmpdump)

I would much rather see a boatload of likes when I post a video than a boatload of individual posts from people thanking me.  But, yeah...getting thanked one way or the other is nice.

But, jimbo, I disagree with your suggestion that a member should contribute something before they can post to the forum.  There are many people who may have interesting things to say, but who don't have the means to capture screenshots or videos.  I don't think they should be penalized.

I would much rather see a boatload of likes when I post a video than a boatload of individual posts from people thanking me.  But, yeah...getting thanked one way or the other is nice.

But, jimbo, I disagree with your suggestion that a member should contribute something before they can post to the forum.  There are many people who may have interesting things to say, but who don't have the means to capture screenshots or videos.  I don't think they should be penalized.

I agree, people with something to say should be encouraged to do so. However,  the list of registered members vs people who actually contribute is quite out of proportion unfortunately (granted, that's usually the case with most forums). But if the majority of members can only just utter the words "send me the vids" or "when will you be recording new videos" and nothing else, it might be feasible to make posting just a little harder; the ppl who want to contribute (in any way possible) can still do so, and the leechers might not want to bother to take another hurdle ? More strict moderation is also an option, but that takes up a LOT of time and effort, which not everybody has; and I can image that FN already puts in quite a lot of time as it is now.

That's not a bad idea. I think it's something that Admin should consider in light of all the bs going back and forth. Maybe restrictions on some viewing of whats posted to non paying members may help even things out so that this site can resume somewhat to what it use to be. Agree or disagree, as a paying member that's my opinion.

One of us is thoroughly confused here. Restricting viewing for non paying members? I'm not aware of anyone paying for membership to this forum. If you are referring to RLC membership, what would that have anything to do with this site?

I agree, people with something to say should be encouraged to do so. However,  the list of registered members vs people who actually contribute is quite out of proportion unfortunately (granted, that's usually the case with most forums). But if the majority of members can only just utter the words "send me the vids" or "when will you be recording new videos" and nothing else, it might be feasible to make posting just a little harder; the ppl who want to contribute (in any way possible) can still do so, and the leechers might not want to bother to take another hurdle ? More strict moderation is also an option, but that takes up a LOT of time and effort, which not everybody has; and I can image that FN already puts in quite a lot of time as it is now.

shrug...

I've never had someone ask me to send them vids, and I would have refused if someone did.  I post links...if that's not good enough...too bad.  The people asking if I'm recording something never bothered me.  If I was recording it...I said so.  If I wasn't...I said so or didn't respond.  It was no biggie to me.

As far as leechers and lurkers are concerned...they don't bother me either.  Heck, some of my videos have been downloaded over a thousand times.  I think that includes a whole lot of lurkers and leechers.  Some people choose not to have a vocal presence on a forum.  I respect their choice.

In different topics there are post about how to use this forum and how not to.

I have an idea that i would really like for this site. Hope you agree.

In each apartment thread there well be a "pictures" and a "video" thread. In these it is only allowed to contribute. Not to comment or anything else. only thing else alowed is reports of non functional links or videos.

This way members of this forum have easy access to the main content.

What do you guys think?

Initially, I was trying to get people to start new threads when they had new topics to discuss or new pic sets. However, I quickly realized that people either didn't like starting new threads, or didn't know how to. At the time we probably didn't have the traffic volume to warrant that anyway. Now, Aside from adding new features here and there and some administrative duties I try to stay hands off and let things evolve on their own. If you would like to create threads as you described feel free to do so. However, I am not going to police them. I'll leave that up to you and the the other mod (we may need more mods).

Another thing (that might be difficult to add) would be a feature to comment a photo in a new thread.

Lets say that @noralover's reply here had i picture. Id would be so nice if the first person how wanted to comment on it, could start a new thread with a click on a button. And from then on the button would turn into a link to that thread.

I would love that. But lets keep this thread to my first idea. Give me all your pros and cons.

I'll look into this.