THE ETERNAL LANGUAGE ISSUE THREAD

Always have a contingency plan. Morse might be plan d or even e but it's still in the equation. But if we get to that stage for comms we are truly fucked, besides it's only the old dudes that would know what it was. I worked with some Army pilots awhile ago who couldn't read a map, they reckoned that's what GPS was for. Their contingency plan was spare batteries!

It only takes one EMP. I've got a magnetic compass, a slide rule, and a very nice mechanical typewriter. And a metal lathe that a squirrel cage could power. I'm set. I can kick ass.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Rodent. I have a Circa 1940's?, maybe Royal mechanical typewriter. It weighs near 30 lbs.

Any idea what it's value is? It's going on FleaBay in a short time and I have no clue where to start the bidding.

I suppose if I did a little research, that I wouldn't have to ask a dumb question like this, but you're the writer amongst us.

Hey Rodent. I have a Circa 1940's?, maybe Royal mechanical typewriter. It weighs near 30 lbs.

Any idea what it's value is? It's going on FleaBay in a short time and I have no clue where to start the bidding.

I suppose if I did a little research, that I wouldn't have to ask a dumb question like this, but you're the writer amongst us.

You might be looking at a hundred bucks if you do it right. Check here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=old+typewriter&_sacat=&_ex_kw=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_sop=12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=

I had a collection of typewriters in my youth, but divested myself of them. Dammit.

The older ones are quite beautiful machines, finely engineered. I've kept a Smith-Corona and an Olympia: the keyboard action far exceeds that of any computer I've ever had. Kinda the difference between a Caddy and a Yugo; kinda a difference between a manual or an automatic transmission in a sports car. Ribbons are available, and you can be entirely off-line 24-7 and still produce a written product without using fossil fuels or being distracted by CamCaps or RLC. Very nifty devices, old typewriters are.

There are several on that page. Royal made many of them.

It had an interesting history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Typewriter_Company

I prefer the Clark Nova. They're very good for writing reports.

But for business, I use a Krupps Dominator. Company policy.

http://oztypewriter.blogspot.com/2013/09/yikes-its-back-clark-nova-typewriter.html