Octavia - new girl in B1 - fan page

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
16 hours ago, Catmaster said:

Which  2 Air BNB does she manage? I'd like to live there! I liked Octavia so much, I named my yellow octopus after her I bought at IKEA Barcelona. I do miss her. 😇

I believe that she does not manage them anymore, if I understood her correctly on that topic. 

• Sad 1

OK, Barcelona makes the life of Air BNB hosts miserable. They want to terminate all licenses to 2028. Very sad, because the reason they officially do it is far from the truth of what is actually happening on the scene.

2 hours ago, Catmaster said:

OK, Barcelona makes the life of Air BNB hosts miserable. They want to terminate all licenses to 2028. Very sad, because the reason they officially do it is far from the truth of what is actually happening on the scene.

I saw quite a few news articles saying that barcelona residents are tired of tourists and basicaly want them gone. Seems more about rental/property price.

There are actually a certain creed of (mass) tourists, that suck, and they misbehave. There are also a good amount of well behaved, decent tourists, coming in low season to BCN to enjoy and relax. I understand, that Air BNB is a problem, when someone rents out a whole apartment to tourists, when there is a shortage of living space in BCN. But Air BNB normally means, one tourists or a couple stays at home with a local in their apartment. This does not contribute to the problem of shortage of apartments. The hospitality industry doesn't like it, because they lose revenue. So it's also a lobbying thing.

4 hours ago, Catmaster said:

There are actually a certain creed of (mass) tourists, that suck, and they misbehave. There are also a good amount of well behaved, decent tourists, coming in low season to BCN to enjoy and relax. I understand, that Air BNB is a problem, when someone rents out a whole apartment to tourists, when there is a shortage of living space in BCN. But Air BNB normally means, one tourists or a couple stays at home with a local in their apartment. This does not contribute to the problem of shortage of apartments. The hospitality industry doesn't like it, because they lose revenue. So it's also a lobbying thing.

Barcelona, a top Spanish holiday destination, announced on Friday that it will bar apartment rentals to tourists by 2028, an unexpectedly drastic move as it seeks to rein in soaring housing costs and make the city liveable for residents.

The city’s leftist mayor, Jaume Collboni, said that by November 2028, Barcelona will scrap the licenses of the 10,101 apartments currently approved as short-term rentals.

“We are confronting what we believe is Barcelona’s largest problem,” Collboni told a city government event.

The boom in short-term rentals in Barcelona, Spain’s most visited city by foreign tourists, means some residents cannot afford an apartment after rents rose 68% in the past 10 years and the cost of buying a house rose by 38%, Collboni said. Access to housing has become a driver of inequality, particularly for young people, he added.

National governments relish the economic benefits of tourism - Spain ranks among the top-three most visited countries in the world - but with local residents priced out in some places, gentrification and owner preference for lucrative tourist rentals are increasingly a hot topic across Europe.

Vacation rentals platform Airbnb, which hosts a significant number of Barcelona listings, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

“Collboni is making a mistake that will lead to (higher) poverty and unemployment,” Barcelona’s tourist apartments association APARTUR said in a statement, adding the ban would trigger a rise in illegal tourist apartments.

Hotels stand to benefit from the move. The opening of new hotels in the city’s most popular areas was banned by a far-left party governing Barcelona between 2015 and 2023, but Collboni has signaled he could relax the restriction.

“Those 10,000 apartments will be used by the city’s residents or will go on the market for rent or sale,” Collboni said of the measure.

Barcelona’s local government said in a statement it would maintain its “strong” inspection regime to detect potential illegal tourist apartments once the ban comes into force.

No new tourist apartments have been allowed in the city in recent years. The local government has ordered the shutting of 9,700 illegal tourist apartments since 2016 and close to 3,500 apartments have been recovered to be used as primary housing for local residents, it said.

EDITION.CNN.COM

The Spanish city announced on Friday that it will bar apartment rentals to tourists by 2028.