5 hours ago, HotWivesRock said:

I missed that but thinking back when Miss USA was asking about a toaster Maddi did struggle to understand. Probably explains why there was little interaction between them although Miss USA could have given them a wave now and then.

I know Marilyn speaks Spanish, (I thought she spoke English too) Are you sure Maddi speaks Spanish?

I was just repeating what Massimo said.

From my own observations:

Marilyn and Hawk speak Spanish, they both communicate with Massimo and Marilyn's boyfriend in Spanish.

Marilyn doesn't speak English or doesn't speak it very well.  When the American girl first arrived at B7, she was in Massimo's room with Massimo and Marilyn came to the door.  She spoke to Massimo in Spanish, and Massimo translated to the girl in English, that Marilyn told him he could give her Marilyn's number and she could borrow things like soap, if she wanted to.

It seems Madison doesn't speak English or Spanish.  I didn't realise the latter until today.  I was always aware that she never really interacted with Massimo, but never thought anything of it.  Today, I watched her eating lunch with Marilyn and boyfriend, and Madison and Marilyn's boyfriend struggled to communicate with each other, with Marilyn translating for them. 

It seems that Madison is learning English though.  At one point, Marilyn left the table.  After a period of silence, Marilyn's boyfriend spoke to Madison in English and said, "you have to practice because we can't sit in silence".  Madison aked if he meant for her to practice English and he replied, yes.  He then typed a message in to the translator on his phone and played it for her to listen to in Russian or Ukrainian, because he didn't think she fully understood what he said.  After hearing it, Madison typed a message of her own and played it in English, and told him that she'd had 6 lessons and was still learning the basics like numbers and colours.  Later, when Marilyn left them alone again, they continued with her practice of English and Marilyn's boyfriend also showed some interest in learning a little Russian or Ukrainian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ash1 said:

Marilyn and Hawk speak Spanish, they both communicate with Massimo and Marilyn's boyfriend in Spanish.

Marilyn doesn't speak English or doesn't speak it very well.  When the American girl first arrived at B7, she was in Massimo's room with Massimo and Marilyn came to the door.  She spoke to Massimo in Spanish, and Massimo translated to the girl in English, that Marilyn told him he could give her Marilyn's number and she could borrow things like soap, if she wanted to.

It seems Madison doesn't speak English or Spanish.  I didn't realise the latter until today.  I was always aware that she never really interacted with Massimo, but never thought anything of it.  Today, I watched her eating lunch with Marilyn and boyfriend, and Madison and Marilyn's boyfriend struggled to communicate with each other, with Marilyn translating for them. 

It seems that Madison is learning English though.  At one point, Marilyn left the table.  After a period of silence, Marilyn's boyfriend spoke to Madison in English and said, "you have to practice because we can't sit in silence".  Madison aked if he meant for her to practice English and he replied, yes.  He then typed a message in to the translator on his phone and played it for her to listen to in Russian or Ukrainian, because he didn't think she fully understood what he said.  After hearing it, Madison typed a message of her own and played it in English, and told him that she'd had 6 lessons and was still learning the basics like numbers and colours.  Later, when Marilyn left them alone again, they continued with her practice of English and Marilyn's boyfriend also showed some interest in learning a little Russian or Ukrainian.

If they're having trouble with English they have to start off with the basics. Start reading Green Eggs & Ham and work from there.  :biggrin:

Dr Seuss Ham GIF

• Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 9:02 PM, Ash1 said:

Thanks for the full explanation.

Marilyn lives in Spain as does Hawk

I pretty certain Maddi lived in Ukraine until arriving in B7, her BF / Hubby appears to be in the Army.