What OS are you running? (For general planning purposes for future tutorials.)

I'm interested in what kind of operating systems we are all using here.   

29 members have voted

1. 1. I'm interested in what kind of operating systems we are all using here.

• Windows (please name version)
    • Linux (please name distrib)
    • Apple (please name version)
    • Unix (Yo da man!)
    • Mulitiple
    • Other
    • Cadillac (parking space is reserved for tbg)

Programs for capturing video and screens vary by computer system. Methods to post on CC also vary. I'd like to get some background information to devise a tutorial thread so that others could learn how to accomplish such tasks and be able to contribute when they wish.

We'll worry about browsers later--plugins solve many problems, and perhaps we can work on that, too.

But for starters, select what you are running and explain the details. Myself, I have operated all of the above operating systems in some form or another, and they all have their merits. This isn't meant to be a "computer war."

Just the basics would be fine.

This new windows 10 that's supposed to be available July 29,2015 as a free upgrade through Windows Update is supposed to have built in screen capturing software that doesn't use up a lot of System Resources.  I use Debut Video Capture it was working fine for the longest time and now giving me all kinds of trouble. As soon as I start capturing my 12 core processor goes from 20 degrees C all the way to 85 degrees C  and then it shuts my computer off.Maybe the water cooler is wearing out. I don't know why it's been so unstable as of late.

Hopefully the one Windows 10 will use less resources and make the computer run more stable with its use.

At least Internet Explorer is not on it.  They have a new browser called Spartan and to what I have seen of it in video features  it seems to look darn good.  Hopefully this is Micro$ofts comeback instead of a flop as most of their O/S's have been after Windows 7 and before Windows 7.  I have a friend that still uses Windows98SE and he's happier than a pig in slop with it..

Video Screen Capture built into Win10?  That's news to me.  I've used the Technical Preview and haven't seen it, though I stopped using it a few week ago.  In any case, I did a search and couldn't find anything about it.  Do you have a link where I can get more info on that?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Programs for capturing video and screens vary by computer system. Methods to post on CC also vary. I'd like to get some background information to devise a tutorial thread so that others could learn how to accomplish such tasks and be able to contribute when they wish.

We'll worry about browsers later--plugins solve many problems, and perhaps we can work on that, too.

But for starters, select what you are running and explain the details. Myself, I have operated all of the above operating systems in some form or another, and they all have their merits. This isn't meant to be a "computer war."

Just the basics would be fine.

This new windows 10 that's supposed to be available July 29,2015 as a free upgrade through Windows Update is supposed to have built in screen capturing software that doesn't use up a lot of System Resources.  I use Debut Video Capture it was working fine for the longest time and now giving me all kinds of trouble. As soon as I start capturing my 12 core processor goes from 20 degrees C all the way to 85 degrees C  and then it shuts my computer off.Maybe the water cooler is wearing out. I don't know why it's been so unstable as of late.

Hopefully the one Windows 10 will use less resources and make the computer run more stable with its use.

At least Internet Explorer is not on it.  They have a new browser called Spartan and to what I have seen of it in video features  it seems to look darn good.  Hopefully this is Micro$ofts comeback instead of a flop as most of their O/S's have been after Windows 7 and before Windows 7.  I have a friend that still uses Windows98SE and he's happier than a pig in slop with it..

Video Screen Capture built into Win10?  That's news to me.  I've used the Technical Preview and haven't seen it, though I stopped using it a few week ago.  In any case, I did a search and couldn't find anything about it.  Do you have a link where I can get more info on that?

They never had those features in the Technical Preview but it's supposed to be in the finished product upon release.  There are a few videos on YouTube of what the finished product will look like.

They never had those features in the Technical Preview but it's supposed to be in the finished product upon release.  There are a few videos on YouTube of what the finished product will look like.

There may be a screen capture and snipping tool but I can't imagine they would put in recording software while removing Windows Media Center.

Yannow, My jobs have involved dealing closely with MS OSs since DOS 3.0, the IBM OSs (OMG WTF were they thinking?) , and (but not until later) Apple OSs to develop PC audio and the hardware MPEG codecs. I used UNIX at AMD but that was a different kind of job...anyway! Since I started using various forms of LINUX, prior to the Redhat distribution, I realized that the usual PC OSs stink. Not new news but I only have WinOSs on one machine because my son is a gamer and most of the stuff he does is in Widnose land. He whines and badmouths Linux BUT when he needs to correct a problem in Windows that requires being outside the "protected environment", such as getting rid of the McAfee virus-checker virus, he found it was easier -and healthier- to do things from the LINUX side of the computer. I seem to remember Woody also uses Linux. Since everything you need is free and far more well supported in LINUX (except for Acrobat/flashplayer for some reason and Silverlight because of copyright issues) why don't you geniuses just worry about Windows because us Linux users will adapt; in spite of Adobe's myopic reasons for not supporting Linux.

Sorry, I'm just sore because I keep having to support the uselessly ever-changing landscape of Windoze in my work.

There may be a screen capture and snipping tool but I can't imagine they would put in recording software while removing Windows Media Center.

That's what I'm thinking, too.  Win8/8.1 has very good screen capture built in...I expect it'll be in Win10, as well.  Screen video recording...not likely.  But I'll wait and see.  If it's there, cool, otherwise, Replay Video Capture or IDM will still work in Win10.

Yannow, My jobs have involved dealing closely with MS OSs since DOS 3.0, the IBM OSs (OMG WTF were they thinking?) , and (but not until later) Apple OSs to develop PC audio and the hardware MPEG codecs. I used UNIX at AMD but that was a different kind of job...anyway! Since I started using various forms of LINUX, prior to the Redhat distribution, I realized that the usual PC OSs stink. Not new news but I only have WinOSs on one machine because my son is a gamer and most of the stuff he does is in Widnose land. He whines and badmouths Linux BUT when he needs to correct a problem in Windows that requires being outside the "protected environment", such as getting rid of the McAfee virus-checker virus, he found it was easier -and healthier- to do things from the LINUX side of the computer. I seem to remember Woody also uses Linux. Since everything you need is free and far more well supported in LINUX (except for Acrobat/flashplayer for some reason and Silverlight because of copyright issues) why don't you geniuses just worry about Windows because us Linux users will adapt; in spite of Adobe's myopic reasons for not supporting Linux.

Sorry, I'm just sore because I keep having to support the uselessly ever-changing landscape of Windoze in my work.

You have my sympathy for the downside of your profession, but all this is irrelevant to the thread.

You have my sympathy for the downside of your profession, but all this is irrelevant to the thread.

Thank-you Dad.

Since when was I subject to your approval or disapproval JoJo? Keep your holier-than-thou scolding to yourself. I am quite capable of deciding the "relevance" of my posts and would ask if I needed advice.

Thank-you Dad.

Since when was I subject to your approval or disapproval JoJo? Keep your holier-than-thou scolding to yourself. I am quite capable of deciding the "relevance" of my posts and would ask if I needed advice.

Shrug...

You can decide whatever you want...but the OP of this thread has already set the ground rules...has already set the relevancy.

That's what I'm thinking, too.  Win8/8.1 has very good screen capture built in...I expect it'll be in Win10, as well.  Screen video recording...not likely.  But I'll wait and see.  If it's there, cool, otherwise, Replay Video Capture or IDM will still work in Win10.

IDM will still work for Windows 10 they've already done the upgrade to their software.

Look JoJo, I am sorry that my two-cents worth seems to have bothered you so, and I read what Foamy T said but I did no harm and wasted no-one's time. Some may have even found some relevance to their own experience or at least sympathized (without your smug sarcasm). Foamy, I apologize for overdoing it a little and contributing to what seemed like a "computer war"; though I'll admit to whining. JoJo, mind your own business where I am concerned. They don't need you to protect them from me and if I need your advise or want your opinion I am not too proud to ask you directly.