All things soccer/football

CC Powerdriver

Because of the mega money coming into the EPL every team has the chance to buy top players and while United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and to a lesser extent Liverpool and Spurs are still much richer than the rest of the league, the quality is such that Chelsea has struggled badly this season, United cannot score and City can't defend. In Germany Bayern are clear of Dortmund who are clear of the rest. In France PSG have almost won the league. In Spain Athletico Madrid and mixing it with the big 2, but I heard their debt was absolutely ludicrous and wouldn't be allowed anywhere else - maybe government subsidies are involved as well. Italy seems fairly competitive this year but maybe not at the same level as the EPL.

The Champions League is fairly dull if you do not support one of the big teams. It will all come down to Barca, Bayern and Real as usual. Maybe City will be the other semi-finalist if their best players are fit.

When it started out the EPL was very much biased towards the big clubs because they were all of sudden allowed to keep their gate money whereas it had to be shared previously. Of course now gate money is dwarfed by TV revenue and sponsorship and the former is a bit more even. Still, in the last 2 seasons United have spent £260 million on new players and are not any better, whereas Leicester spent 400 thousand on Mahrez, an Algerian, and gained the most points in 2015.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I told you so, well the first bit anyway.

By Christ I hate Man City! I'm a Bristol City and Spurs fan so I mean that dispassionatley.  They have no class at all, from the car park to the centre circle that team is rotten. Guardiola will get found out in the Prem, he's won titles at the best team in the world, won titles at the best team in Germany and now going to a team where money can get him almost any player he wants - however the level of weekly competition in the Prem is something I don't think he'll have had any experience of to prepare for.

Lady Gaga did an outstanding job with the National Anthem last night at the Superbowl. While I am here I want to protest the Superbowl for it's prejudice against the letter "L". Since it's inception, each Superbowl has been defined with Roman numerals, but now that they have reached 50 they change the rules. I am dropping a flag on that play.

I think Spurs might win it. I have thought for that for a few weeks now. They are so consistent and tight  at the back. All the teams at the top have a vulnerability if 1 or 2 key players get injured but I think if Spurs lost Kane they could still eek at 1-0 wins. Arsenal my favourite team of the top 4 have just become so inconsistent once more as they always are post-Xmas, City seem to be waiting for next season already, which leaves Leicester as the major threat. You have got to think that the pressure will hot them eventually and Spurs have largiely been hiding under the radar. United are gettin better every game and could pinch a CL spot.

By Christ I hate Man City! I'm a Bristol City and Spurs fan so I mean that dispassionatley.  They have no class at all, from the car park to the centre circle that team is rotten. Guardiola will get found out in the Prem, he's won titles at the best team in the world, won titles at the best team in Germany and now going to a team where money can get him almost any player he wants - however the level of weekly competition in the Prem is something I don't think he'll have had any experience of to prepare for.

I think Spurs might win it. I have thought for that for a few weeks now. They are so consistent and tight  at the back. All the teams at the top have a vulnerability if 1 or 2 key players get injured but I think if Spurs lost Kane they could still eek at 1-0 wins. Arsenal my favourite team of the top 4 have just become so inconsistent once more as they always are post-Xmas, City seem to be waiting for next season already, which leaves Leicester as the major threat. You have got to think that the pressure will hot them eventually and Spurs have largiely been hiding under the radar. United are gettin better every game and could pinch a CL spot.

Pretty spot on analysis there.  The smart money has to be on Spurs.  If Vardy or Mahrez get injured the the Foxes' campaign is over. Spurs have a deep enough squad to win the title this year - after decades of supporting them I never thought I'd ever seriously get to write that sentence, happy days!!