Old films

BBsq69

First of all what is the cut off date for an old film

1989 doesn't seem that old to me but would mean "Back to the Future" was old film which considering the sequel was set in the far future, which is now, maybe a good yardstick

1979 I think this was the end of the decade when modern films started to be made

Star Wars would be good a boundary

1969 I suppose I'd seen a few films by then but only with my parents so that is a bit too early for me

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll start off with "The Conversation" (1974) Dir: Francis Ford Coppola

Gene Hackman is one of cinema's best actors. Here he plays a very different character from the loud 'Popeye' Doyle as he is a socially awkward surveillance nerd who spies for whoever pays him. He starts off by being professionally detached but this one conversation keeps playing in his head. It nags at him so much that it overwhelms him with dire consequences. As a portrait of obsession it is absolutely brilliant and needless to say Hackman nails the role.

I like the virile cinema since the mid-sixties , or shortly before , with those movies with Lee Marvin and Angie Dickinson, until the mid- eighties with films under consecrated actors, besides Woody Allen, Scorsese, and others that are timeless ... Martin Ritt , Norman Jewison , Sidney Lumet, Frankenheimer ... and also the intrigue and suspense film with British flavor of these two decades ... well, a lot ....

Guest TxFeller

Liked Lee Marvin in "Prime Cut" as well as "The Great Scout and Cathouse Thursday". Fave movie from "back in the day" would be "The Quiet Man" with John Wayne and Maureen Ohara.

Anyone remember "Village of the Damned"?

• 1 month later...

"Ice Station Zebra" is on TV at the moment. I absolutely love it and it has to be one of the best Cold War thrillers ... perhaps the location was a metaphor. It is not often the complex Patrick McGoohan got a big film role but he was absolutely brilliant here and the claustrophobic tension throughout is fantastic.

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes, one encounters an "old film" that (1) is only old because you're not, and/or (2) has been seen by everybody else but you.

The death of David Bowie spurred additional interest in his life's work. Falling into that category is The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976). The film was made before my birth so, under the United Nations Protocol on Entertainment Antiquities, it's classified as "an old film." Disambiguation: "old film" in this context refers to motion pictures that were made long ago. For Wiki information on the "old film" that coats the underside of your toilet's water closet see here: _____

Anyway, I managed to get my hands on the DVD and was amazed at how wonderful the movie is. Bowie's performance is stellar.  The direction and editing were marvelous and, considering the year it was made, the special effects (all analog) were astoundingly convincing.

post-47762-145739690852_thumb.jpg

post-47762-145739690855_thumb.jpg

post-47762-145739690856_thumb.jpg

Some people, dogs that they are, often get a very close inspection of the film left on the underside of the toilet rim.  And they often share notes and write reviews, or sometimes even flowery sonnets about it. 

Everything seeks it's own level. 

Anyway, I've got my hat and coat on.  But all the same, welcome back Karen. 

Some people, dogs that they are, often get a very close inspection of the film left on the underside of the toilet rim.  And they often share notes and write reviews, or sometimes even flowery sonnets about it. 

Everything seeks it's own level.

What in the world does THAT mean?

What the fuck is it to you!    Are you the freedom of speech police around here?

But since you somehow took a personal offense to it.  I was referring to those that are so debased, so full of wanton debauchery that they know no limits to their depravity. 

That's what it was all about.   

It was also in reference to what Karen had mentioned in her remark about Wiki, and old film.

What the fuck is it to you!    Are you the freedom of speech police around here?

But since you somehow took a personal offense to it.  I was referring to those that are so debased, so full of wanton debauchery that they know no limits to their depravity. 

That's what it was all about. 

Actually, I took no offense. I honestly didn't understand. If it was referring to some other post I didn't know which one. To be honest, I still have no idea what you are referring to, but you know what? That's fine.