Old films

BBsq69

Just browsing the post and this caught my interest. I love old movies , the actors in those days were great  And certain scenes were left to the imagination. I can remeber paying 25 cents for the movies and you got a double feature,serial and cartoons. those were the days.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

back again.  Thinking about those old movies. you mention Cary Grant he was one of the greats of his time,played alot of romantic comedies and mystery movies with some of the great woman actress of the day. How aboutthose horror movies back then,Boris Karloff Bella Lugosi were pionerers in those days. I can go on and on but i don;t want to bore everybody.

It was beauty killed the beast

More like a bad case of Lust if you ask me.    From the moment he snatched her from those pilings when the natives there were having their little jamboree, he had nothing but dirty thoughts running through that enormous head of his.     

Oh sure, she may have teased with him and led him on for a while.  But down deep inside he should have known that it was an ill-fated match, and that no good could ever come from such a thing.

And what about his parents?  I'm sure that they wouldn't have approved.   

And weren't there any Queen Kong's out there on that island for him to date instead? 

These are all troubling questions that need to be answered, if you ask me.

Great special effects on that movie, too. The biplane pilot has my respect, too.

I_think_this_is_photoshopped.jpg

He's lucky he didn't pick the Chrysler building to climb. 

That spire post was designed to retract and come up again when they want it to.

Can you imagine his surprise as this thing starts to protrude up his ass!

That would get him down pretty quick as well. 

The poor bastard just didn't understand,.. It's a whole different type of jungle than the one that he grew up in.

I am a great fan of the old Basil Rathbone - Nigel Bruce. Sherlock Holmes movies. In fact, up until the recent "Sherlock" with Benjamin Cumberbatch I have been pretty unsatisfied with the various other attempts

Jeremy Brett was Sherlock Holmes in the 80s TV series. He was so into character that rumours were that he had to check into an institution to get out of character. He was absolutely brilliant in the role and it was set in the correct time period. 

Being somewhat old, my favorite old film is Gunga Din.  Saw it when I was a kid (and contrary to what ww would have you believe, I did not attend the premiere) and it's been a favorite of mine ever since.  Owned it on video tape... and still own it on DVD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunga_Din_(film)

:)

:lmao:    You got me there.  But your not old.  Well maybe just a tiny little bit old, but not too, too, old.

Alright, fuck it, your old!    But you know what, so am I.  So what!   

And tomorrows my birthday, so add another notch and I'll soon be catching up to you.  8)

Just stay well my friend.    And your right, that was a powerful movie, especially at the end. 

And just remember.  You and I have seen things that a lot of the younger posters here haven't.  Like people getting dressed up to go on an airplane.  Just to mention one.

I am a great fan of the old Basil Rathbone - Nigel Bruce. Sherlock Holmes movies. In fact, up until the recent "Sherlock" with Benjamin Cumberbatch I have been pretty unsatisfied with the various other attempts

Don't get me wrong. Although I think Jeremy Brett was Sherlock Holmes, I was brought up on Basil Rathbone, who was always excellent. People say he was a little too dramatic in his acting but that's like saying Morgan Freeman's voice has too much gravitas ... this is case where too much of a good thing wasn't wrong.

Benedict (yes his name is even more strange) Cumberbatch is one of an extraordinary generation of English actors - sadly most of them posh because there may be many others who now can't afford to go to top drama schools which is the only way they could compete with them whereas it used to be if working class kids were good enough they made it but I digress - such as Ben Wishaw, Tom Hiddlestone and Eddie Redmayne following in the footsteps of Damian Lewis, Dominic West and Daniel Craig. But Cumberbatch's Holmes, from the Dr Who (how could I miss out David Tennant from my list of great actors but he's kind of between generations) writers, is one for modern times. The series has great style, possibly overly clever and a tad fantastical - you can't shoot people in the brain safely - but the acting is brilliant.

Yeah, I still like the old Basil Rathbone versions for sheer entertainment the best.  But they always made poor Dr. Watson seem like a doleful fool.  I mean he was a doctor for goodness sake!  I sure wouldn't have felt very comfortable of confident with him as my doctor. 

Oh well, I guess you can't have too many geniuses in the room at one time.  The last time we did we ended up with a very big explosion.