Juke Box Split #5

woodworker

Today an old friend died.    Walter Gzelac,  (Pronounced 'Shellac')

I still remember that wry smile of his.    A great guy, or else I wouldn't have bothered with this.  In fact both he and his brother Henry were both aces in my book.    But Walter was one of the guys. 

I remember like it was yesterday when some of us along with Walt went out drinking.  By the time we pulled up to Walt's house to drop him off he was pretty sloshed.    We could see the light from the living room through the open front door, and the stairs that lead to the upstairs just beyond it.

And I recall both Pete and Jim Burris saying to him,.. "Now remember, just keep walking and don't stop." "Just say, Hi mom, Hi dad, and just keep moving up the stairs."  "Got it?"    And poor Walt just silently nodded.   

Well we watched intently as he managed to get to about the third or forth step before falling flat on his face which drew lamenting sighs from all of us.   

So long Walt,.. I haven't forgotten you. 

Guest TxFeller

Woodworker, Condolences on the loss of your friend. I lost one to a motorcycle accident years ago. It was very saddening to have his mother tell me how it all happened, caused by a drunk crossing the yellow line on a two-lane highway. He was a shooting star, burning bright, but faded far too soon.