Chromebook / Chrome OS

Looking into getting a couple Chromebooks with Chrome OS for my grandkids...  anyone have an opinion on Chromebooks?  Chrome OS? 

Good or bad or whatever, just looking for opinions and comments to help make a buy, or not buy, decision. 

Thanks.

:)

I have one in my bedroom which I use to check my mail and review my regular websites.  It's fine for that and a very light device to travel with when you want to be able to do the same.

My oldest grandchild has a Macbook Air.  All the others, down to a 3 1/2 year old, have tablets which they use mainly to download and play apps and to access kid-friendly websites.  While they are increasing, there are comparatively few apps available for Chromebooks.  If your grandkids are like mine, they would not be happy with a Chromebook.

• 3 months later...

I know this is old but I thought I'd add my two cents. In my opinion Chrome books are Only good for browsing the internet. Don't expect them to do anymore than that. I'd say the main benefits are that they are relatively fast, they are light, and the battery life is pretty good. I wouldn't recommend them for work.

Is there any storage at all for a few pictures or other files or is it strictly for Internet usage?

Sometimes all I need for an overnight run is a small internet capable device, not this huge laptop. 

On 4/3/2016 at 5:23 AM, TBG 150 said:

Is there any storage at all for a few pictures or other files or is it strictly for Internet usage?

Sometimes all I need for an overnight run is a small internet capable device, not this huge laptop. 

There is a limited amount of storage on the machine, but they really want you to use Google Drive. They give you 100GB free for a year I believe. 

• Upvote 1

I get that from work and only use it for business reasons.

What I meant was, if I could just have a few small sized pix to say use on a forum or something during travel. It's really no that important, but just in case. I may look into one.

On 4/8/2016 at 6:24 PM, TBG 150 said:

I get that from work and only use it for business reasons.

What I meant was, if I could just have a few small sized pix to say use on a forum or something during travel. It's really no that important, but just in case. I may look into one.

Yes there is some limited storage space, but just be aware that you can't actually install programs, so if you use a particular gallery or screen shot program it likely won't work unless their is an app for it.