Xmas Dinner

BBsq69

Well soon I will have to abandon RLC until tonight because I have to cook a time consuming Xmas dinner. I'm only doing a duck this year with apricot, raisin and walnut stuffing as I left it too late to get a goose and my family don't want turkey for 4 days.

So are you doing the cooking? What are you having?

Aussie Christmas dinner focuses around seafood, especially big, juicy prawns and crayfish on the barbecue. I always add a turkey roll, easier to cook and carve with no waste and it's nice cold, plus a good quality ham. Other than that, good quality salad, avocado, tomatoes etc. Far too hot for the usual roast dinner. Most of Australia is currently in a heatwave with many bush fires, except up north with a cyclone brewing and flash flooding.

Will stretch to a good old fashioned Christmas pudding, with a very hard to get double thickened cream flavoured with Baileys Irish Cream.

I have a beef standing rib roast marinating in the fridge which will be slow roasted on the rotisserie on the grille. Add to that, the Au Jus, chunked, seasoned Yukon Gold potatoes roasted in the oven with fresh picked sweet green beans (string beans) and fresh homemade biscuits. And something that I've mastered making just right. A beautiful Yorkshire pudding.

I have a beef standing rib roast marinating in the fridge which will be slow roasted on the rotisserie on the grille. Add to that, the Au Jus, chunked, seasoned Yukon Gold potatoes roasted in the oven with fresh picked sweet green beans (string beans) and fresh homemade biscuits. And something that I've mastered making just right. A beautiful Yorkshire pudding.

Last time I had a really good Yorkshire pudding, it was Christmas dinner at friends place. Coincidently, they had not long returned from a posting to the US so it was my first exposure to pumpkin pie, which I think is normally served at thanksgiving. Loved it and still looking for a traditional recipe.

There was something about Pumpkin Pie that I never could like. It just has that...taste. Ehh, to each their own.

It seems in typical Yank fashion, around Halloween and Thanksgiving, everything has to be pumpkin flavored. These idiots come up with pumpkin coffee, doughnuts, candy, pumpkin flavored mashed potatoes and about everything else that you can think of. They have to overdo everything and ruin it.

Probably explains why I can't find a traditional recipe 'that I like', hers was likely an Aussie version.

We had a State Premiere, Joh Bjelke-Peterson, who's wife was famous for her pumpkin scones. He was mostly remembered for running a police state, including a Minister for Police who said he couldn't see what all the fuss was about, after all, he was running the police department at a profit!

Visited Queensland a few times, never met one person who would admit to voting for Joh, but he was Premier of the State from 8 August 1968 – 1 December 1987, a bloody good run by anyone's standards.

Not a thing wrong with that. I am Italian and rarely eat it. That's cuz since Mom died, I have no one that knows how to make it right. It's a lot of work to layer it just right with just the right amount of ingredients between the layers so that it cooks evenly.

We had pulled pork, shrimp kabobs, stuffed dove breasts wrapped in bacon, and a honey glazed spiral cut ham with stuffed artichokes and poblano peppers with a rice dish.  Desserts were your pretty typical desserts, sweet potato pie, pecan pie, and homemade vanilla ice cream!

The duck was terrible BTW. Normally my duck is succulent and juicy but this was tough with virtually no meat on it - I think it had been starved. Turkey next year! The rest of the meal went down very well.

I wondered whether Americans were so keen on Turkey because they will have already had their fill at Thanksgiving.