Picture threads

Thestarider

I am not one to bitch and complain much, but I have to get this one off my chest.

We will now have to search through currently 175 pages of bullshit to see the pictures in the girls thread beginning next month.

PAGE after PAGE of 2,3,4 word comments of just plain idle chatter that belongs on the chat feature, instead of the comments section. C'mon people, that is what a fucking chat is for !!!!!

SO I hope all you fucking whiners and criers are happy now, and I so look forward to spending hours just trying to see the pictures we all want to see.

I must be honest, this was a huge step backward in the progress that was made in this forum.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Thestarider said:

I am not one to bitch and complain much, but I have to get this one off my chest.

We will now have to search through currently 175 pages of bullshit to see the pictures in the girls thread beginning next month.

PAGE after PAGE of 2,3,4 word comments of just plain idle chatter that belongs on the chat feature, instead of the comments section. C'mon people, that is what a fucking chat is for !!!!!

SO I hope all you fucking whiners and criers are happy now, and I so look forward to spending hours just trying to see the pictures we all want to see.

I must be honest, this was a huge step backward in the progress that was made in this forum.

I agree. Had people taken the time to learn how to link a picture to a comment in the comment thread, this wouldn't have been necessary. I'm not sure if the forum software would support a "button link", but if not, maybe a label added to each picture post that says ""to comment, right click on the time link (upper left corner of the picture post), "copy link", and include that link in the appropriate thread with you comment""  It's not that difficult. Besides wading through pages of comments to see pictures, now we still won't know what comments go with what pictures - and no way to fix it.

• Upvote 2

I'm obviously late commenting on this decision.  I've occasionally been frustrated by the difficulty of making an immediate relevant comment about a picture post.  Perhaps a compromise at this point is to require that comments in the picture topic be TRULY relevant to the picture post in question.  off topic  comments should be reported and deleted.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Thestarider said:

Hmm, speaking of whining and crying...

Completely disagree.  The whole replying is a separate thread thing was just plain goofy.  There are still threads for general discussion on the apartments and hopefully the comments in the picture threads will be related to a posted picture, not general discussion.

The chat feature only benefits the handful of people in the room at the time, then is lost forever. In order to keep the community and interest going, there needs to be open, civil discussion in the threads.

• Upvote 3

Bull shit tripod, go read the girls thread...... how much fun it will be trying to see the pictures starting in May. I am probably one of the most computer illiterate people in this world and even I can copy a picture to the comments thread and make a comment on it LOLOL.

Your right to disagree, but I believe it is just plain crazy to go backwards

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Noldus said:

I have begun to look at attachment center, there is all the pictures in chronological order as they are posted. without any comments you can easily scroll through the pictures with left arrow

Issue with that is you can only scroll through the pics on the current page and there are 815 pages at this point.

50 minutes ago, tripod2 said:

Hmm, speaking of whining and crying...

Completely disagree.  The whole replying is a separate thread thing was just plain goofy.  There are still threads for general discussion on the apartments and hopefully the comments in the picture threads will be related to a posted picture, not general discussion.

The chat feature only benefits the handful of people in the room at the time, then is lost forever. In order to keep the community and interest going, there needs to be open, civil discussion in the threads.

This is what your going to end up with...

pic 1

general comment

comment about pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

comment about pic 3

general comment

general comment

comment about pic 1

pic 4

comment about pic 2

general comment

comment about pic 2

general comment

general comment

pic 5

comment about pic 4

comment about pic 1

(What a mess)

• Upvote 2

Believe it or not, comments will speed up the page loading times significantly.

Why, you ask? Well, each of our pages are set to 15 comments. After that, a new page is automatically created. If that page contains only text, that page will load instantly. But if it contains 4 hi-rez pictures, gifs, videos, or youtube links in each comment, that page will take FOREVER to load, and it will choke older machines that have less ram.

We expect comments to 1) be highly respectful to the pix or vid poster, 2) be interesting or add information that will help explain the photo, and 3) Be on topic.

It will also save the hassle of having to copy pictures over to a separate comment thread, which many people find confusing, awkward, time-consuming, and just plain a hassle. I will lobby the other mods to have a General Discussion for each apartment so we can discuss issues that don't directly relate to a picture. In other words, it will be much like it was before we experimented with the current system, except for being "On topic" will be strictly enforced.

And besides, methinks the pix threads will need some padding from here on out because there will be a whole lot less pix to scroll through. :sad:

• Upvote 3

Foamy, we will wind up with page after after page of general chatter in the picture section again just like before, just go back in the history and try to find a picture that you want, and you see exactly what I'm talking about, and If you want to see pictures you to surf though 5 pages of chatter just see 10 pictures, as it is now you have just that pictures, The people who want just pictures will wait for the page to load to see them. I am sorry to disagree but this is huge step backwards for this forum.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Thestarider said:

Foamy, we will wind up with page after after page of general chatter in the picture section again just like before, just go back in the history and try to find a picture that you want, and you see exactly what I'm talking about, and If you want to see pictures you to surf though 5 pages of chatter just see 10 pictures, as it is now you have just that pictures, The people who want just pictures will wait for the page to load to see them. I am sorry to disagree but this is huge step backwards for this forum.

We'll make a Thread and Label it General Chat for This Apartment. Then those Comments can be placed in that Thread that does not associate with the Picture and/or Video. So the chatter between the Pictures and Videos should be down to a Minimum.   The current way there was just to many pictures on one page and creating a lot of Load Time to get that page to Buffer and Load as well as have to scroll the page. If the page has 100 or more pictures on it between those 15 Post Slots it takes quite a long time to scroll a page as every Picture and GIF Image has to buffer a copy to your Temporary Folder before that content even shows. I have seen some pages with as many as 150 + Pictures. When content has to Monitored on a daily basis it creates a lot of extra time involved for those that have to Monitor this.  With the page loading faster should create less time for all.

• Upvote 2