#1 What do you drive?

HarleyFatboy

2 hours ago, kalevipoeg said:

This thread looks very much like the American Car show. Have you Americans noticed that driving your cars in the U.S. is nowadays more expensive than our driving in Europe? Your petrol price is pretty cheap, but as your cars consume three times as much petrol as ours, the total bill is bigger. Last time in the U.S./Canada we rented a Lincoln SUV for the Rocky Mountains tour and we had to fill the tank every day as it consumed over 12 litres per 100 km (sorry, I cannot use your strange units of measure). My Mercedes-Benz A CDI model consumes 4.2 litres per 100 km (98 g CO2 per km), my wife´s Volvo V40 D2 consumes 3.8 litres (82 g CO2). After that U.S. trip I understood why the American cars don´t sell in Europe and why Detroit is a dead city. And it is very true, the best way to diminish the U.S. greenhouse gas emissions would be to double the petrol price in the U.S. But that will never happen during Trump, the advocate for fossile fuels and global warming.

Great comparison...you rented one of the largest SUVs available.  Try renting that in Europe...it (or a similar size) would cost you a fortune even if you could.  A Mercedes A class? had better get great gas mileage...it's a fucking roller skate.  But then again it likely cost you as much as we would pay for the Lincoln...lol.  Next time you "tour' the Rockies, you might want to wait until you are on the flat to compare.  I would expect any car to perform poorly climbing mountains.  I have rented cars many times in Europe and the UK.  While NA is not perfect, Europe and their cars have issues as well.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, maxfactor said:

Great comparison...you rented one of the largest SUVs available.  Try renting that in Europe...it (or a similar size) would cost you a fortune even if you could.  A Mercedes A class? had better get great gas mileage...it's a fucking roller skate.  But then again it likely cost you as much as we would pay for the Lincoln...lol.  Next time you "tour' the Rockies, you might want to wait until you are on the flat to compare.  I would expect any car to perform poorly climbing mountains.  I have rented cars many times in Europe and the UK.  While NA is not perfect, Europe and their cars have issues as well.

As I did not remember the exact model of that Lincoln, I just wrote Lincoln SUV, but it was not one of the largest available. I checked the Lincoln website, the same that we rented is not there any more, model MKX is probably the closest. Touring the Rockies, we did not "climb the mountains" but stayed on the highways, which are very easy compared to some roads in the Alps or Norwegian coastline. It is funny that you call Mercedes A class a roller skate. As we have no more kids at home, we do not need bigger cars and as, due to my profession, I have to show that my car has low CO2 emissions, both my Mercedes and my wife´s Volvo are excellent examples of modern economical car engines. Using your measures, both these cars run about 60 miles per gallon on the highway and about 55 miles per gallon in the city. We used to drive VW Golf, VW Passat and Audi A4 for years. but happened to switch to M-B and Volvo just before the VW diesel scandal. I think we will stick to these brands for a while as they are also great to drive - as was VW Golf.

8 hours ago, kalevipoeg said:

As I did not remember the exact model of that Lincoln, I just wrote Lincoln SUV, but it was not one of the largest available. I checked the Lincoln website, the same that we rented is not there any more, model MKX is probably the closest. Touring the Rockies, we did not "climb the mountains" but stayed on the highways, which are very easy compared to some roads in the Alps or Norwegian coastline. It is funny that you call Mercedes A class a roller skate. As we have no more kids at home, we do not need bigger cars and as, due to my profession, I have to show that my car has low CO2 emissions, both my Mercedes and my wife´s Volvo are excellent examples of modern economical car engines. Using your measures, both these cars run about 60 miles per gallon on the highway and about 55 miles per gallon in the city. We used to drive VW Golf, VW Passat and Audi A4 for years. but happened to switch to M-B and Volvo just before the VW diesel scandal. I think we will stick to these brands for a while as they are also great to drive - as was VW Golf.

The only North Americans who give a shit about vehicle CO2 emissions...either don't drive or don't drive much.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, kalevipoeg said:

This thread looks very much like the American Car show. Have you Americans noticed that driving your cars in the U.S. is nowadays more expensive than our driving in Europe? Your petrol price is pretty cheap, but as your cars consume three times as much petrol as ours, the total bill is bigger. Last time in the U.S./Canada we rented a Lincoln SUV for the Rocky Mountains tour and we had to fill the tank every day as it consumed over 12 litres per 100 km (sorry, I cannot use your strange units of measure). My Mercedes-Benz A CDI model consumes 4.2 litres per 100 km (98 g CO2 per km), my wife´s Volvo V40 D2 consumes 3.8 litres (82 g CO2). After that U.S. trip I understood why the American cars don´t sell in Europe and why Detroit is a dead city. And it is very true, the best way to diminish the U.S. greenhouse gas emissions would be to double the petrol price in the U.S. But that will never happen during Trump, the advocate for fossile fuels and global warming.

About a decade back we rented a moving van. It was an Isuzu cab-over 25ft diesel. We made two round trip ...trips... and the silly vehicle got almost 25 mpg. That was an average and it was empty half the time. I rented a 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 to move a bunch of fencing material about 150 miles. It got an average of 20mpg fully loaded (half the time) with a 15ft trailer.
My 2005 Lexus Rx300 barely gets 17mpg in the city and 21 on the highway. I used to drive 75 Chevy Laguna S3 with a 400HP 350ci engine. I could manage ~22mpg on the highway but 10-12mpg between stoplights...LOL. Parent's VW TDI gets about 50mpg. Daughter's Subaru Crosstrek gets about 25-30mpg.

I have to agree with Kale on why Detroit died. When you rebuild two defeated nations (Germany and Japan) from scratch, you generally try and use up-to-date tooling and materials. Detroit failed to recognize the wisdom in retooling for the future and produced cars inferior to those produced by the rebuilt nations. However, the best way to reduce emissions is not to raise costs, that's just stupid and doesn't address the issue, but to build more efficient machines. The Japanese taught us that lessen. The Germans became too proud of their stuff which is why they cost so much to buy and to maintain. The Japanese have a better product than the Europeans. They last longer and are much less expensive to maintain.

I disagree, a little bit, with Maxfactor about NAs and CO2 emissions, although I do fall into the category of "don't drive much" my vehicles have always been well maintained because a smoking, poorly running vehicle is an embarrassment. Most farmers and ranchers rely on well maintained equipment. So, maybe it's the city folk who don't care.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/4/2017 at 5:48 AM, SPYING 1 said:

I drive a 2013 FORD F-250 6.7 DIESEL SUPERDUTY, SUPERCAB LONGBED

That is a bad ass ride right there my friend!!!

On 10/4/2017 at 7:17 PM, rose said:

i have a 63 corvette  convertible my hubby restored for me 

You are one lucky lady!!!  Nice ride for sure!