Live Streams of Breaking News Events

One can view the Congress' action in 1986 to ban civilian possession of fully automatic weapons as something of a kind of a precedent that would open the door for restricting civilian access to semiautomatic, assault-style weapons," Spitzer says.

Spitzer says a major reason the machine gun ban met so little resistance was a 1934 law passed a month after outlaws Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow were killed in a hail of machine gun bullets. It required machine gun owners to pay a hefty tax, be fingerprinted and be listed on a national registry.

As a result, he says, sales of machine guns plummeted.

"It is a good example of something that is little known, which is a gun control law that was pretty effective in keeping such weapons out of civilian hands," he says. "So by 1986, when the provision was added to the Firearm Owners' Protection Act to bar any newly produced fully automatic weapon from possession by civilians, it was really a fairly small step to make, because so few of them were in circulation to begin with."

That's clearly not the case with the semiautomatic guns that polls show a majority wants banned today.

9 minutes ago, BBsq69 said:

It goes up all the time. Last i heard it was 19 - I think my eyes were watering (with amazement) when they said it was 10.

That's not a lot of guns, when i go to the gun range i take more guns than that. Here in America we have gun collectors, target shooters, hunters, & most importantly we have guns for "SELF DEFENSE" 

Machine guns are not illegal, but it is illegal to make and register new ones on a form 1 (as you would do for an SBR)

I love machine guns. They don’t call the selectors on automatic firearms “fun switches” for nothing, and I have yet to hand off a machine gun to someone and have it not bring a smile to their face (it brings me joy exposing people to full auto for the first time). For the sake of this article, the word “machine gun” will meet the ATF’s definition: Any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.

• There is no way around the May 19th, 1986 date. if the machine gun in question was made after that date, you may not own it (unless you are a dealer)
  • Transferable: Guns registered prior to May 19th, 1986 that are able to be owned by everyone. There are only 182,619 transferable machine guns according to the ATF.
  • Pre-Samples: Machine guns imported after 1968 but before May 19th, 1986. The 1968 GCA established that machine guns with no sporting purposes could not be sold to civilians. Dealers can however buy them and keep them after they give up their licenses. As a general rule, pre-samples cost about half that of a transferable.
  • Post-Samples: Machine guns made after the May 19th, 1986 cutoff date. These are only for dealers, manufacturers, military, and police. A manufacturer who pays $500 a year is permitted by the federal government to manufacture these. A dealer (who is not a manufacturer) may acquire these if a police agency provides a “demo letter”. A demo letter is simply a letter from a PD asking you to acquire a sample gun for them to test and evaluate for potential purchase. Unfortunately dealers must sell or destroy post samples when they give up their license.

3 hours ago, SPYING 1 said:

Almost 50,000 people a year died from auto accident, are we going to ban automobiles  ??

This is too foolish to reply to but I'll try.  Many people die from slipping in their bathroom.  Maybe we should ban bathrooms.

And, by the way, many of those auto deaths are because of DUI drivers, and we CAN do much more to protect those of us who drive (and walk) sober.

• Like 1

It is so sad to read the posts where you desperately try to defend "the constitutional right to own guns for your own private security". I know Trump wants to fight against the terrorists and keep the guns at American homes. Which ones kill more in the U.S., terrorists or private gunowners?

Damn so much truth in the facts instead of speculation:

CPRC Original Research: All but one of the 20 worst mass public shootings, 45 of the worst 50, occurred outside the United States since 1970

Screen-Shot-2017-01-30-at-Monday-January

Gun control in Europe is almost total. It hasn't stopped mass shooting attacks like Las Vegas

It is an attack that is likely to rank 14th in the most deadly mass public shooting in the world since 1970. It is the worst ever in the United States, according to data collected by the Center for Crime Research where I am founder and president.

There were 29 such shootings (four or more fatalities in a public place, according to the FBI’s official definition) in the U.S. during the eight years of the Obama administration; 26 in Europe. The rate at which people are killed is virtually the same in the European Union as in the United States.

Again, many of the facts about what happened in Las Vegas remain unknown at the moment, including exactly what type of firearm the gunman used. But one sad fact that everyone calling for gun control needs to consider is that, as Europe has shown, you can have all the gun control laws you want and you still won’t be able to stop horrors like this from happening.

Guns don't kill, it takes someone to pull the trigger !

Bump stocks will be made illegal, and they should be, because the law is the law, and has been since 1986.
https://crimeresearch.org/2017/01/with-39-killed-in-tunisia-attack-the-top-three-mass-public-shootings-are-outside-the-united-states/

31 minutes ago, Thestarider said:

Damn so much truth in the facts instead of speculation:

CPRC Original Research: All but one of the 20 worst mass public shootings, 45 of the worst 50, occurred outside the United States since 1970

[...]

I was curious about the CPRC which I assume is the Crime Prevention Research Center.  One look at their website and it's clear what their bias is.  Mass killings get attention, but don't define the total level of deaths due to guns.

I was suspicious of the statistics shown because it conflicted with what I understand happened in Australia after a horrendous mass shooting. You can read about it here: https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/10/australia-gun-control/541710/

Here is a comparison of gun death rates from CBS (I know ----  "fake news"): https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-u-s-gun-deaths-compare-to-other-countries/