Top 5 movies to watch when not on CamCaps

van the man

Guest Squirrel

Yes, 'Das Boot' was great. It was a career boost for many German actors and the big break for some of them.

U-boat life was certainly dangerous and miserable. This movie was seriously powerful, perfectly done, and quite historically accurate.

When Germans make a great movie, they kick serious ass--two of my top five list movies are German, and one of them is considered the "big daddy" of science fiction.

If you have not seen "The Lives of Others," regardless of your national location, I suggest you do so if you want to understand why some American and German citizens are now so deathly paranoid about surveillance.

Hell, maybe I should have put THX1138 on my list. Luca's best movie. Originally billed as science-fiction, it's now pretty much how my government will be operating by 2016...

'The Lives of Others' is absolutely brilliant. It says everything about freedom and how fragile it is.

I worry the west is moving in that direction. The US is becoming a big brother society whilst the UK already has more surveillance camera's than any other country. All of this is being done under the cover of the war of terror! Bush and Blair have a lot to answer for. My personal hope is that Blair suffers the most horrendous death very soon!!!!

Guest NullBurner

Yes, 'Das Boot' was great. It was a career boost for many German actors and the big break for some of them.

U-boat life was certainly dangerous and miserable. This movie was seriously powerful, perfectly done, and quite historically accurate.

When Germans make a great movie, they kick serious ass--two of my top five list movies are German, and one of them is considered the "big daddy" of science fiction.

If you have not seen "The Lives of Others," regardless of your national location, I suggest you do so if you want to understand why some American and German citizens are now so deathly paranoid about surveillance.

Hell, maybe I should have put THX1138 on my list. Luca's best movie. Originally billed as science-fiction, it's now pretty much how my government will be operating by 2016...

I've never seen 'The Lives of Others' but I've read about it. I should give it a try.

There are many versions of 'Metropolis' out there. My favorite is also Georgio Moroder's and I think his version is the one the most people in the world has seen.

They found a movie role in buenos aires 2008 which was a copy from the master cut, but some scenes were destroyed.

The new version they've made in 2011, based on this cut, is the closest one to Fritz Lang's Master. Only 8 minutes are lost.

They are making open air festivals each summer and showing this version. All these festivals are always  sold out.

Fan base is great in Germany.

Guest Squirrel

There are many versions of 'Metropolis' out there. My favorite is also Georgio Moroder's and I think his version is the one the most people in the world has seen.

They found a movie role in buenos aires 2008 which was a copy from the master cut, but some scenes were destroyed.

The new version they've made in 2011, based on this cut, is the closest one to Fritz Lang's Master. Only 8 minutes are lost.

They are making open air festivals each summer and showing this version. All these festivals are always  sold out.

Fan base is great in Germany.

Agreed. I've only seen three versions, own two of them, and have read  Lady Frieda Von Harbou's book. Metropolis cannot be considered just a movie requiring restoration, or even a book. It's human Literature.

And yes, the fuller restorations and symphonic music are excellent and follow the continuity of the story better, but Moroder's more modern disco and industrial pop-rock soundtrack is actually very true to the story, though it's anachronistic and lacks the newly discovered footage.  The release of his version also inspired many people to get involved with efforts to restore these old classic films. I tend to prefer the Moroder version because of his pioneering efforts to popularize and and push for film restoration, and because Bonnie Tyler's expression of the "Bad Maria" is seductively hot as hell (see link below, it does show tits, boys); but any and all versions are worth serious study, and the newer versions are wonderful. The film was way before its time.

Here She Comes (Metropolis) / Bonnie Tyler

More information for film buffs: http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/345331|345333/Metropolis-The-Restoration.html