Leora - General Chat Topic November 2019 #14

happyone

2 hours ago, jimbo4 said:

People People!!! Be nice. Why all the bad mouthing off each other......One guy makes a genuine mistake and he is then scolded like a child by someone who thinks Thanksgiving is two separate words.....None of us are perfect, so how about a small portion of tolerance?

This is an example of how situations get out of hand on this forum sometimes, people always too ready to " point score " from others. I have been as guilty of it as the next person, but what does it achieve?...... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !! ::)

Not trolling just showing an arrogant millennial that the old boomer as he called several of us a few weeks ago ain't so smart.  it's called payback in a small way.  You just got in the crossfire. :dodgy:

9 minutes ago, maxfactor said:

It's to words...just an American ism

Sorry! But I think it is one word. It’s called a compound word, which means two words in one that equate to one word....Nothing at all to do with Americanism or any other type of ism.

In English dictionaries it is one word, so that’s good enough for me......It’s the act of giving thanks...” Thanksgiving “

• Like 1

Just now, jimbo4 said:

Sorry! But I think it is one word. It’s called a compound word, which means two words in one that equate to one word....Nothing at all to do with Americanism or any other type of ism.

In English dictionaries it is one word, so that’s good enough for me......It’s the act of giving thanks...” Thanksgiving “

nobody outside of North America has use for it.

2 minutes ago, jimbo4 said:

Other compound words are “ Earache, Aftereffect, Campfire, Daredevil, Fallout and Gallbladder, Gallstones.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, maxfactor said:

nobody outside of North America has use for it.

Not strictly true...Germany has Harvest Thanksgiving, Grenada has Thanksgiving In October, Korea has Thanksgiving in late September early October and Japan has Labour Thanksgiving.... 

• Like 1