Elli, Vladellia (2023) #8

Pete1960

2 minutes ago, Rattlesnake316 said:

these are now the 5 where i know exactly that they probably have an alcohol and drug problem, with elli and vali i can't tell if they also take drugs. Of course there will also be others who may have been there in the past like gloria, ashley and so on

gotcha!

• Haha 1

Il y a 2 heures, FrankZabba a dit :

it's sad how the youth of today destroy their life with endless drinking, drugs, and partying.  they will regret it one day!

You could hear exactly the same quote 50 years ago... Probably 500 & 5000 years ago, too.

Lots of people (exception: the shut-in, the religious,...) go through a wild phase when they are young. 

Most end up fine.

2 minutes ago, Epikouros said:

You could hear exactly the same quote 50 years ago... Probably 500 & 5000 years ago, too.

Lots of people (exception: the shut-in, the religious,...) go through a wild phase when they are young. 

Most end up fine.

i could maybe go with 50 years ago but 500 & 5000 years ago, sorry i'm not buying it.  some end up dead as well

il y a 28 minutes, FrankZabba a dit :

i could maybe go with 50 years ago but 500 & 5000 years ago, sorry i'm not buying it.  some end up dead as well

Well, the places that were able to make alcohol 5000 years ago. That was not everywhere, of course. Though some tribes got off on psychedelic mushrooms, certain spices etc...

Alcohol abuse was a big problem in cities in medieval and early modern times, when, due to a lack of clean drinking water, people (even children) drank beer. Lots of reports of bar room brawls that ended deadly because of that. Domestic violence, too. Granted, this was more of a general problem than just a "young people" problem. Though young men/boys were considered the most dangerous in that regard.

As for ancient times: there are sources from Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece & Ancient Rome complaining about the behavior of "the youth of today", compared to one or two generations before...

Edit: I survived my youth, have fond memories of it, and was probably one of those talked about in a derogatory way as "the youth of today" (back then). If I regret one thing, it's not having even more fun than I actually had.

If anything, I have the impression "my time" (largely the nineties) was wilder than what most young people experience today (lots of youngsters now are terrified about being filmed while doing something naughty, a problem we didn't really have), but I might be out of the loop a little.

As for 50 years ago, the Sexual Revolution was not even 10 years old back then. The late 60s & 70s must have been pretty wild times. Though probably not everywhere. Anyway, I'm too young to have experienced all that era had to offer. Still enjoying the music of that time period, though.

20 minutes ago, Epikouros said:

Well, the places that were able to make alcohol 5000 years ago. That was not everywhere, of course. Though some tribes got off on psychedelic mushrooms, certain spices etc...

Alcohol abuse was a big problem in cities in medieval and early modern times, when, due to a lack of clean drinking water, people (even children) drank beer. Lots of reports of bar room brawls that ended deadly because of that. Domestic violence, too. Granted, this was more of a general problem than just a "young people" problem. Though young men/boys were considered the most dangerous in that regard.

As for ancient times: there are sources from Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece & Ancient Rome complaining about the behavior of "the youth of today", compared to one or two generations before...

Edit: I survived my youth, have fond memories of it, and was probably one of those talked about in a derogatory way as "the youth of today" (back then). If I regret one thing, it's not having even more fun than I actually had.

If anything, I have the impression "my time" (largely the nineties) was wilder than what most young people experience today (lots of youngsters now are terrified about being filmed while doing something naughty, a problem we didn't really have), but I might be out of the loop a little.

luckily you turned out ok.  there are a lot of people that don't turn out ok, they might not be dead but they have other illnesses due to abuse of alcohol and drugs.  with the rlc group, it's eat a little something first and then lets start drinking before noon, to me that is a problem and it will be more than likely for the rest of their lives.

• Upvote 1

Il y a 6 heures, FrankZabba a dit :

luckily you turned out ok.  there are a lot of people that don't turn out ok, they might not be dead but they have other illnesses due to abuse of alcohol and drugs.  with the rlc group, it's eat a little something first and then lets start drinking before noon, to me that is a problem and it will be more than likely for the rest of their lives.

Most of my friends & acquaintances from back then turned out ok, too.

Those few who didn't, would have faced life problems regardless. Substance (ab)use was rather a consequence than a cause of their issues.

conformism & moral panic about these things are overrated. You just have to (get to) know your limits. If you can do that, you'll be fine. Some can't, though, that's true. But it's a minority. Some of the people I drank, smoked joints (& tried other things like mushrooms, XTC & LSD) with in the nineties, are teachers and even school principals now. If only their pupils & colleagues knew, lol.

• Like 1