All Things BASEBALL

KarenKraft

Play billiards?

Nowdays, just slop 8 ball when general company is visiting, or 9-ball if the opponent is into it. Can't hit the cue ball anymore without reading glasses, and I can't aim it where it should go with them on.

Just so no one complains, this comment is NOT NECESSARILY OFF TOPIC, since I have made it to third base and scored home runs many times on pool tables.  :P

raisa_pool_table.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only done this on OPPTs (Other People's Pool Tables). Ain't gonna happen in my Olhausen ballpark.

Don't want to get the turf stained like Isabel and Marcello's couch...  :lmao:

The "bottom line" of course, is that this year, the Mets were the sentimental favorites nationwide, but the Royals actually played outstanding ball. There was an inning in which every batter swung at every pitch and the Royals' half of the inning didn't end any too soon (actual details missing, as I was "lager-watching" the game). Compare and contrast with the Los Angeles Dodgers: First pitch = called strike - a 89 mph fast ball right down the pipe; second pitch = foul ball; third pitch = emergency swing, ball popped up. Often it looked like they stood at the plate begging for balls they way a squirrel begs for nuts.  Not liking the direction this post is heading, I'll end it here.

Squirrels clean up all the dropped peanuts, popcorn and Cracker Jacks that fall on the stadium bleachers. It's a nice gig, and we get to watch all the games for free.

Unfortunately, the amount of undocumented rats who work for peanuts has increased and the glory days will soon be over.

Still, I was happy to see Middle America win that series.

Guest TxFeller

June 27, 1973. For weeks all I had been hearing was about this high school phenom named David Clyde from Houston's Westchester High School. The Rangers hadn't been in Arlington long and were really sucking, to put it mildly. But, they managed to sign this 18-year-old kid from Houston. They paid him squat and then proceeded to ruin his arm by not sending him down to the minors. But, I'm getting ahead of myself.

It was a very muggy June day and the Rangers would be facing the Minnesota Twins who regularly shellacked the Rangers. With hitters like Tony Oliva and Rod Carew and Harmon Killebrew in their lineup, why wouldn't they? LOL

My friend Sam said we should go try to get into the game. It wasn't an unreasonable thought considering how poor attendance had been prior to that day. But, when we got to the ticket booth, no tickets were left. A sold-out stadium!! WHAT?? We couldn't believe it. We stood around near the ticket booth, stunned.

Luckily, I just happened to spy a fella coming away from the will-call window and he was about to put his tickets up in the air. I stopped him fast and asked if he was going to sell the tickets. He was, he said, because he had a buddy on the Dallas Morning News sports writing staff who had invited him to come up to the broadcasting booth to see the game from up there. I asked him how much and he told me $6/apiece, just what he had paid for them.

These were not ordinary tickets. These were third base line, front row tickets about 2/3 the way to 3rd base. SIX BUCKS! We couldn't have been any luckier if God Himself had arranged this to happen.

We got prime seats to watch an 18-y.o. kid get 3 strikeouts on a very powerful lineup, allowing only 1 hit in 5 innings of a 4-3 Rangers victory.

It wasn't a World Series game, but I wouldn't trade it for all the 7th games in history.

• 2 months later...

June 27, 1973. For weeks all I had been hearing was about this high school phenom named David Clyde from Houston's Westchester High School. The Rangers hadn't been in Arlington long and were really sucking, to put it mildly. But, they managed to sign this 18-year-old kid from Houston. They paid him squat and then proceeded to ruin his arm by not sending him down to the minors. But, I'm getting ahead of myself.

It was a very muggy June day and the Rangers would be facing the Minnesota Twins who regularly shellacked the Rangers. With hitters like Tony Oliva and Rod Carew and Harmon Killebrew in their lineup, why wouldn't they? LOL

My friend Sam said we should go try to get into the game. It wasn't an unreasonable thought considering how poor attendance had been prior to that day. But, when we got to the ticket booth, no tickets were left. A sold-out stadium!! WHAT?? We couldn't believe it. We stood around near the ticket booth, stunned.

Luckily, I just happened to spy a fella coming away from the will-call window and he was about to put his tickets up in the air. I stopped him fast and asked if he was going to sell the tickets. He was, he said, because he had a buddy on the Dallas Morning News sports writing staff who had invited him to come up to the broadcasting booth to see the game from up there. I asked him how much and he told me $6/apiece, just what he had paid for them.

These were not ordinary tickets. These were third base line, front row tickets about 2/3 the way to 3rd base. SIX BUCKS! We couldn't have been any luckier if God Himself had arranged this to happen.

We got prime seats to watch an 18-y.o. kid get 3 strikeouts on a very powerful lineup, allowing only 1 hit in 5 innings of a 4-3 Rangers victory.

It wasn't a World Series game, but I wouldn't trade it for all the 7th games in history.

I like that story.

Thanks for sharing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Nowdays, just slop 8 ball when general company is visiting, or 9-ball if the opponent is into it. Can't hit the cue ball anymore without reading glasses, and I can't aim it where it should go with them on.

Just so no one complains, this comment is NOT NECESSARILY OFF TOPIC, since I have made it to third base and scored home runs many times on pool tables.  :P

raisa_pool_table.jpg

Does one have to have a good size rack to organize the balls?