All Things BASEBALL

KarenKraft

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That said, my editor nose couldn't let pass the silly error in MLB's Official Rules.  I told them, of course, but since I wasn't getting paid to advise them....  we all know that volunteers are worth the money they're paid:

The ball shall be a sphere formed by yarn wound around a small core of cork, rubber or similar material, covered with two stripes of white horsehide or cowhide, tightly stitched together. It shall weigh not less than five nor more than 5 1/4 ounces avoirdupois and measure not less than nine nor more than 9 1/4 inches in circumference.

Did you know that wiffle balls are made at one factory in the United States? And that they were designed so kids could throw curve balls?

Betcha didn't know that.

http://www.npr.org/2011/09/05/140145711/wiffle-ball-born-and-still-made-in-the-usa

Yes, indeed: I did not know that.  I thought they were designed so Howdy Doody boys could perfect their throwing a baseball like a girl. 

KK: I knew this post was coming. I grew up when Don Drysdale was THE man. Since then, I've changed allegiances to several other teams (usually picking out the World Series winners automatically.) And even that is erratic, because I root for the players as much as the team, and my loyalty has extended across the continental United States (Except for SF or NY, of course. That would be unforgivable for a So Cal squirrel.)

But when the Dodgers do well, you must know that I will always root for my home town team.

Hitting and Being Hit

Giancarlo Stanton, became one of the few players to hit a

homerun ball that travelled out of the stadium,

bounding on the roof of the left field pavilion

before coming to rest in the parking lot.

Yes, this is the same Giancarlo Stanton who was hit in the face

by a pitched ball that it knocked him out of commission for a very

long time, during which he needed many surgeries to be able to

return to the game.