All Things BASEBALL

KarenKraft

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it comes as no surprise that, like many Los Angeles teams, the Dodgers choked again this year. My favorite player used to be Kershaw.  I still think he's great but now I'm thrilled with Chase Utley. Yeah, I know: Hall of Fame is nice; Golden Glove Award - okay; but there needs to be one other:  The Tyrus.

That is the award won by serious baseball players who don't grow beards, don't roll their eyes and thank Jesus when they hit a double and, most importantly, know how to break up a double play.

The Tyrus is so named to honor the greatest baseball player who ever lived: Ty Cobb.

I'm sure everyone agrees.

:: smiles ::

post-47762-145739674883_thumb.jpg

Who is this KarenKraft character? I vaguely remember the name from the near past, but age seems to have fogged this old dudes brain a bit.  :scratchchin:

:doh: Your memory is scrambled. KarenKraft is considered one of the best closers for the Dodgers. Even at Old Dudes's renowned baseball stadium (known for its poor design and violent spectators) nobody evidently ever got a hit off KK. Really a modern day version of Don Drysdale. Always a team player  :clap:, and occasionally a  :stirthepot: , KK is known for providing an action packed and entertaining game.

Or maybe this Kraft character was the head of mission control during the early years of America's space program. I forget...  :idk:

:doh: Your memory is scrambled. KarenKraft is considered one of the best closers for the Dodgers. Even at Old Dudes's renowned baseball stadium (known for its poor design and violent spectators) nobody evidently ever got a hit off KK. Really a modern day version of Don Drysdale. Always a team player  :clap:, and occasionally a  :stirthepot: , KK is known for providing an action packed and entertaining game.

Or maybe this Kraft character was the head of mission control during the early years of America's space program. I forget...  :idk:

“Karen Kraft is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.  Karen Kraft is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life. Karen Kraft is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life. Karen Kraft is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life. Karen Kraft is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.  Karen Kraft is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life. Karen Kraft is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life. Karen Kraft is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life. Karen Kraft is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.  Karen Kraft is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life. Karen Kraft is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life. Karen Kraft is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life. Karen Kraft is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.  Karen Kraft is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life. Karen Kraft is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life. Karen Kraft is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.”

- Raymond Shaw

I'm a Brit and recently visited California. I watched TWO baseball games. San Francisco Giants v the San Diego Padres. One at the AT&T Park and one in San Diego!

I loved the build up to the games. I loved all the amazing food on offer. Not sure about the Clam Chouder though!!!

The game itself is a bit of a let down. 9 innings and nothing really happens! I did nearly see the Giants pitcher have the perfect game. Only one hitter managed to get to first base. Everyone else missed every ball.

1) People note when Kobi Bryant (U.S. professional basketball player) has some spectacular numbers, lifetime, for a season, for a game.  The win-loss numbers, shooting percentages are all well and good also.  But basketball is, indeed, a short-staff team sport where the numbers are merely reportage.  In baseball, it's 40% events and 60% numbers.  And that's an understatement.  You rarely hear a basketball play-by-play announcer invoke the names of Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Bill Walton, Wilt Chamberlain, John Havlicek,  Bill Russel or Larry Bird during a game.  But the names Ty Cobb, Joe DiMaggio, Sandy Koufax, Roberto Clemente, Barry Bonds, Willie Mays, Lou Gehrig and even the always-annoying Jackie Robinson at least once a week (one of the above, not all of them) during a broadcast.  Babe Ruth not so much because his numbers are mostly untouchable.  But it's the super-importance of the numbers that keep both the tradition and the players' histories alive.

2) + 3) For sure.  But you can also root against those same players if their success might impede the success of a past or present favorite.

4) You are never alone in most other team sports.  In baseball, when you are standing at the plate and the defenders have the ball (strange, that), you are very very alone.  Your teammates can do little but yell some usually-unwanted encouragement to you.

5) ... Or little girl for that matter.  We are allowed to play in U.S. Little League, but by the time we reach high school ball, we are encouraged to "go try out for the softball team!"  Now, softball is one of the most stupid sports of all time.  For those who aren't familiar with the two sports but are familiar with racket sports, baseball is like racquetball; softball is like squash: dead ball, a whole lot of effort for much less adrenal blast.  But that's just how I see it.  One day, MLB (that's the name of the professional sport --  Major League Baseball -- will allow girls/women to play.  :: sobs ::

I'm sure one day they may let a woman play but I seriously doubt that she would play long!  I remember when LPGA professional golfer Annika Sorenstam thought she could hang with the big boys when she was invited to play in the 2003 PGA event at Colonial and what a joke that was!  Now don't go getting your undies in a bunch because I'm not dissing on women, I'm just saying they have their sports and that is where they should stay!  Could you imagine a woman getting hit by a 95 mph fast ball?  I know I wouldn't want to see that happen!!  Leave the men sports to the men and the women sports to the women, that's all I'm saying.

I'm a Brit and recently visited California. I watched TWO baseball games. San Francisco Giants v the San Diego Padres. One at the AT&T Park and one in San Diego!

I loved the build up to the games. I loved all the amazing food on offer. Not sure about the Clam Chouder though!!!

The game itself is a bit of a let down. 9 innings and nothing really happens! I did nearly see the Giants pitcher have the perfect game. Only one hitter managed to get to first base. Everyone else missed every ball.

Gee Van, that's more pro baseball games than I've attended in the past 40 years! And two more pro-ball games than cricket games I've attended in my entire life! FYI: You're supposed to eat the hot dogs, peanuts, Cracker Jacks and drink the expensive watery beer when at these baseball games. We don't do chowder in California...

Next time you're in the area check in at my humble forest dwelling, I'll break out the stash of pecans & single malt, and we'll play billiards and talk about how Nora's doing. I mean, anything else just wouldn't be cricket, would it ol' boy?  8)

Gee Van, that's more pro baseball games than I've attended in the past 40 years! And two more pro-ball games than cricket games I've attended in my entire life! FYI: You're supposed to eat the hot dogs, peanuts, Cracker Jacks and drink the expensive watery beer when at these baseball games. We don't do chowder in California...

Next time you're in the area check in at my humble forest dwelling, I'll break out the stash of pecans & single malt, and we'll play billiards and talk about how Nora's doing. I mean, anything else just wouldn't be cricket, would it ol' boy?  8)

Play billiards?