Sitting on the couch all day

sparky

I just ran through Avast and see nothing pertaining to an Ad Blocker. Unless I was skim reading again.

The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Let it fly.

I've used AdBlock plus  before on both firefox & chrome. works great. I stay away from IE as a rule, never been happy with it's performance.

As for what I'm currently using:

Chrome (for me, less problems with RLC feed)

Avast antivirus (free version) (built-in ad blocker)

Advanced SystemCare for cleaning (free also)

Add also the Ghostery browser extension to get rid of the Facebook/Twitter share icons.

Guest Squirrel

Hey Squirrel

You sound like you know a lot about PC's. How do you get all the various software you mention? I never knew you were able to block ads?

I don't mind CamCaps being supported with ads but some of these are gross. It's embarrassing to be on the forum and suddenly see them. My missus could see them!!!

komando.com is loaded with excellent downloads and information. Worry not: it's the site for Kim Komando, a well known radio-show host. Tons of stuff there, especially if you're on Windows; the downloads are checked before they are posted. It's also a safe way to link to the website themselves so you don't accidentally type in a "spoof" site. Incidentally, Kim is not only brilliant, she's pretty dang cute. Go there and look for security downloads; they're generally all free.

If you have a spare old Windows Machine, go ahead and upgrade it to Ubuntu or another Linux distribution. It's free, faster, and it's just simply more fun. And safer for surfing.

Go to Settings, then Browser Integration. You should see options to enable their ad block.

If this doesn't show up, you may have to add their Internet security add-on (found on the Market page).

I'm on it. I'll post what I find. Thanks.

Guest Squirrel

I've used AdBlock plus  before on both firefox & chrome. works great. I stay away from IE as a rule, never been happy with it's performance.

A truly wise man has spoken.

IE never ever measured up to the oldest version of Netscape. When guests borrow my computer, they generally go to Mozilla Firefox (safer). Some go to Chrome (also safe, but monitored by the Almighty Google). No one I know prefers IE. Plus, they can log on to either my PC or my Linux machine browsers and know how to do things even if they're Mac people and never ran PC's or Ubuntu machines before.

Go to Settings, then Browser Integration. You should see options to enable their ad block.

If this doesn't show up, you may have to add their Internet security add-on (found on the Market page).

I never found Browser Integration anywhere in the settings menu. I went to the Market page and nothing there either. Although I did find some other cool stuff.

I'll keep on the hunt though.  :-\

OK, Figured out what's up. It's a free trial for one of their add-ons.'

Since you already have Avast, you've already got step 1.

Find the Internet Security ad on the market page (pic 1). Yours should show a free trial button (if not, the website has one, just click the 'buy')

Once it's installed, your regular Avast menu will have the extra stuff shown in the other pics.

Sorry for the confusion and for stealing the thread.

For those that want to try Avast:  http://www.avast.com/get/WB3I7Z5M

post-2765-145739561261_thumb.jpg

post-2765-145739561267_thumb.jpg