Operating System: Post Q&As, discussion about OS's and updates here.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@itsme: Thanks for finding our new tech forum. I highly respect your opinions about these matters and appreciate your posts.

Win10 still scares this little Squirrel. Will MicroSoft Word 2007 still work? How about LibreOffice documents?

How about Bandicam? The costliest investment in computers is the application software, but every time I've "upgraded" a bunch of things no longer work. Drivers for older hardware don't work either. That's why I still have an ancient machine running XP -- because I can't port over the applications or the scanning equipment.

I don't much like the privacy stance they take with Win10, either.

Soothe my distrust, please. I need to hear good stories about the conversion from Win7 to 10.

(And can I get Cortana to respond to the name Leora or Nastya?  :P :P :P)

@itsme: Thanks for finding our new tech forum. I highly respect your opinions about these matters and appreciate your posts.

Win10 still scares this little Squirrel. Will MicroSoft Word 2007 still work? How about LibreOffice documents?

How about Bandicam? The costliest investment in computers is the application software, but every time I've "upgraded" a bunch of things no longer work. Drivers for older hardware don't work either. That's why I still have an ancient machine running XP -- because I can't port over the applications or the scanning equipment.

I don't much like the privacy stance they take with Win10, either.

Soothe my distrust, please. I need to hear good stories about the conversion from Win7 to 10.

(And can I get Cortana to respond to the name Leora or Nastya?  :P :P :P)

You're putting yourself at a greater risk by using an operating that's end of life was more than a year ago. Mainstream support for XP ended in April of 2009. What that means is that your operating system is  vulnerable and to ANY exploit that has been made available since that date. If you are still using Office 2007 you are missing out on many great features and improvements. I would highly suggest upgrading to at least Windows 7 and Office 2010. Personally, I run Windows 10 professional, and Office 2013. As far as the other programs that you mentioned they all have newer version that run on both Windows 7 and 10.  Computers really aren't that expensive any more, you could get a decent system for ~$500, it's time to upgrade. Many newer programs don't even run on XP any more, and your hardware will be holding you back from truly experiencing modern computing. See the pic below for suggested privacy settings on Windows 10.

windows_10_privacy_options.jpg

You're putting yourself at a greater risk by using an operating that's end of life was more than a year ago. Mainstream support for XP ended in April of 2009. What that means is that your operating system is  vulnerable and to ANY exploit that has been made available since that date. If you are still using Office 2007 you are missing out on many great features and improvements. I would highly suggest upgrading to at least Windows 7 and Office 2010. Personally, I run Windows 10 professional, and Office 2013. As far as the other programs that you mentioned they all have newer version that run on both Windows 7 and 10.  Computers really aren't that expensive any more, you could get a decent system for ~$500, it's time to upgrade. Many newer programs don't even run on XP any more, and your hardware will be holding you back from truly experiencing modern computing. See the pic below for suggested privacy settings on Windows 10.

I agree with what you say, but in my particular case, my XP is safer to use than my Linux computer -- because the network board driver is corrupted and it's not hooked up to the Internet. It just has some proprietary business software that would cost a $1,000 to replace on a new system. When the OS finally gives up, it will be a Linux box.

I'm scoping out a new dream computer, and trying to determine whether I should go to a beefy desktop with Win10 installed, or just add another high-end laptop to my collection, or just update my current Win7 Ultimate HP to Win10 Pro. HP laptops run hot, and this graphics board sucks, so I don't think this up-gradable machine could make very good use of Win10's features. Plus, I'm in a quandary about switching from Ubuntu to Mint on my Linux machine. The price of technology is that it complicates and does not simplify.

In the old days, the only decision necessary when I bought a new computer was to max out the RAM to the full 48K. Easy decision. (Pricey, but still wise.)

The nice thing about tasting different flavors of Linux is that I've got a machine available; it's absolutely free, and they are easy as hell to install, set up, and reinstall compared to Windows. Windows requires a significant investment of time in order to get it up and running.

That's why I haven't upgraded to Win10, even though I now have this damn nagware icon on my task bar.

The nice thing about tasting different flavors of Linux is that I've got a machine available; it's absolutely free, and they are easy as hell to install, set up, and reinstall compared to Windows. Windows requires a significant investment of time in order to get it up and running.

That's why I haven't upgraded to Win10, even though I now have this damn nagware icon on my task bar.

The icon on your task bar comes from Windows update KB3035583.  Uninstall the update and the icon is gone.

:)

The icon on your task bar comes from Windows update KB3035583.  Uninstall the update and the icon is gone.

:)

Then you go to Windows Update and put that as a hidden update so it can't download again.

Then run Windows Update again and there is another update with the same KB number but is a little bigger in kb's than the previous one so that one will have to be hidden as well so it can't download.

So when you look at hidden updates there should be 2 hidden updates with the number KB3035583.

Then go to  C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download  and delete everything in that download folder.  That is what the KB3035583 put on your computer.

I have Ubuntu installed in a VM, but honestly I haven't found a great use for it other than playing around. I don't think there is anyway that I would replace windows with it. What do you all use it for?

I don't have Windows on my machine at all, so, I use linux for everything. Ripping music, bank transactions, video mods, music mastering, file organization, and making fixes on my son's windows machine that the protected OS won't allow you to make unless you can navigate through DOS. I use it to watch movies. Netflix doesn't work in Linux because of DRM issues because Silverlight doesn't understand the concept of "Free", but my TV and Blu-Ray player do play nice with Netflix. I have an HP scanner, that is still better than the ones being sold now, however, windows quit supporting it past XP. Linux sees it just fine and the App I use, XSane, operates it better than Windblows ever did. In fact, Linux sees all the peripherals, on our network, that windows has to be told to look for. Linux uses far fewer resources so it can be loaded on old machines like my Dell Latitude (850MHz) laptop. I used it as a printserver before I got the network printer.

I also use it to program Microchips processors. MPlabX IDE is Java based and so is cross platform.

The best part of the Linux environment, besides being free (though you can pay big bucks for some things), is that while MS may have a few hundred, or so, software geeks maintaining each project, the Linux world will have thousands all over the world; and they will gladly accept your advise and participation since it is open source. You are allowed to fix something that is broken and submit it to the rest of the world.

I have a 4GB thumbdrive with Linux installed as a multimedia server with LOTS of music on it. When I go to parties all I have to do is plug it into a PC or laptop, tell it to boot off the thumbdrive, and I have a full media center that will play DVDs, CDs, any format of audio or video file -except iTunes protected files...who cares anyways- and will deal with mono to 7.1 surround and SPDIF optical or otherwise. Only gamers need windows and even that is becoming unnecessary for most things because of an app called "Wine" which handles the APL calls for windows and so I can play most games in Linux...and faster than windows.

Archived