Operating System: Post Q&As, discussion about OS's and updates here.

I had a Win 7 Asus laptop's hard drive DIE on me. Replaced the drive.  My OS system recovery CDs were scratched or corrupted. NO OS for the damn thing. Installed Ubuntu 12.04.

My battery lifetime doubled.

At this point, I know that I will be forced to use Win10. So I'm thinking I'd probably prefer to upgrade to a machine designed for it. This is an odd consideration when you understand that at one time, operating systems were designed for the hardware available. Now it's the other way around. The OS has become the driver to sell new hardware. Symbiosis exemplified.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What partition would you use cause it likely not made for NTFS or FAT32 partitions.

Read this. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/35676/how-to-choose-a-partition-scheme-for-your-linux-pc/

it can explain it better than I. However, keep in mind that Linux can navigate through NTFS and Fat32 just fine. My main 'puter is a dual boot system, because my son didn't want to run his games in Linux, and I have editted WORD and Excel files directly in the Windows side using Open Office. Another good argument for having Linux around is an episode concerning the McAfee Virus Instiller. A few years back McAfee had some problems with the checker not allowing certain programs to be installed and when you tried to install the fix it made it so you couldn't completely uninstall the software as long as you were in the Windows protected environment; and DOS shell doesn't handle long file names very well. McAfee supplied a utility to do it but it didn't work because only McAfee had the necessary permissions to delete the offending files. So I started up Linux, navigated to the proper directory and deleted the bastard files. Weeks of dealing with McAfee customer service vs. 5 minutes, including a beer break, to give McAfee the "ole heave ho."

There are still issues with silverlight DRM (that which drives netflix) and playing DVDs, for the same reason. The problem is money not ability. Linux is free and does not  pay the licensing fees that windows and Mac do. However, the thousands of people out there who contribute to the Linux environment have their own ideas about that stuff and have various "unofficial" ways of doing things which are freely available to the Linux user. It hasn't been a problem for me yet...mainly because my smart TV, smart Blu-ray Player, and Xbox all take care of that just fine, and all my movies and favorite TV series-es (Babylon 5 etc) have been converted to .MKV files and are stored on my network drives.

Just an aside, I have an old Dell Latitude 850Mhz Laptop, that has Linux 12.05 installed on it, that I used (no longer necessary) as a print server for my plotter and scanner so the windows wienees could use it too.

Aside #2, Google Wine for Linux and see if it will help you run the windows apps you can't do without. I have all the Diablos and Myst games installed in Linux and they run better when playing on-line.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TxFeller

I am becoming increasingly frustrated with Win10 performance on my PC. Even with nothing else running and only 2 tabs open (sometimes just 1), I get momentary slowdowns in processing, on the CPU itself, I think. Adding any additional action (mouse click, going to full-screen or back from full-screen mode, opening Solitaire... etc.) makes the sound stutter and video will slow slightly, much like putting your finger alongside an old LP while it's playing on a turntable. I NEVER had any of these issues with Win8.1 . My system was always ready to run like a raped ape in 8.1 .

Edit: BTW, it happens regardless of browser.

I am really watching this thread closely for people's opinions.

I may or may not upgrade my 8.1 (brand spanking new hardware) or one of my other Win7s up to Win10, but the reactions to Win10 vary considerably. Usually, with MS operating systems, people agree whether a new version is good or bad (example: Win98, Vista, Win8.0--bad, everybody knows it; Win95, XP, Win7--good and vastly improved over their predecessors).

But Win10 comments are really controversial: it runs the gambit. Some love it, and some hate it; and the opinions upon which I need to make my decision all come from well experienced people.  :bang head:

Sometimes I think I should just nuke it all and install Ubuntu 12.04. It was great. (Then they went to Ubuntu 14 & screwed it all up!  :curse:)

Making decisions like this is frustrating. Can't win.  :trashcomputer:

I think I'm going to quit the Internets and play games on my Amiga for the rest of my life...

I am becoming increasingly frustrated with Win10 performance on my PC. Even with nothing else running and only 2 tabs open (sometimes just 1), I get momentary slowdowns in processing, on the CPU itself, I think. Adding any additional action (mouse click, going to full-screen or back from full-screen mode, opening Solitaire... etc.) makes the sound stutter and video will slow slightly, much like putting your finger alongside an old LP while it's playing on a turntable. I NEVER had any of these issues with Win8.1 . My system was always ready to run like a raped ape in 8.1 .

Edit: BTW, it happens regardless of browser.

There is a process RTBroker in windows10 that chews on your CPU resources. When you see this happening open the Task Manager and stop that process from running. It's a process that sends information to Microsoft about what you are doing on your computer. Windows 10 is a joke it was all set up with Security Features that can't be disabled just so Microsoft can spy your every move you do on your computer. As long as that one process doesn't run Microsoft gets no information but when the process runs it uses close to 90% of the CPU Resources which will cause a machine to what's known as crawling.

Guest TxFeller

Thanks. I see it in my Task Manager and can kill it there, but it would be nice to get into Services and stop it cold before it ever gets cranked up. Do you know if it correlates to the service labeled "Background Tasks Infrastructure Service"? The Properties says it's "BrokerInfrastructure" for the task name.

Thanks. I see it in my Task Manager and can kill it there, but it would be nice to get into Services and stop it cold before it ever gets cranked up. Do you know if it correlates to the service labeled "Background Tasks Infrastructure Service"? The Properties says it's "BrokerInfrastructure" for the task name.

Windows 8.1 has the same Task but it doesn't run as it can be disabled in the settings whereas Windows 10 doesn't let you disable to many what they call Security Features.  If you go into Services it's labelled as Time Broker. I have mine disabled and the system still runs with no glitches. I would say it's safe to run without it.

Here is a small app that will give you Control over some of the things.

This app will disable some features that Microsoft doesn't want disabled.  http://www.filehorse.com/download-shutup10/

Guest TxFeller

Pepe, Thanks. I set everything to spec.

StnCld, I get an error message when I try to run the program: "This service cannot accept control messages at this time." That may be due to some services I have disabled already per the above specs.

Archived