Operating System: Post Q&As, discussion about OS's and updates here.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TxFeller

If you have a back up  or maybe the system restore feature is on where you can roll it back to a point before the changes were made.

Not necessary. A reboot solved the issue. =) I just "stopped" quite a few running processes while going through the list of services. Whatever it was is turned on during boot, so it's fine now.

...Netflix doesn't work in Linux because of DRM issues...

Actually, you can watch Netflix on Linux, just install Chrome. I use it on Ubuntu, It uses HTML5 so no additional plugins required and works without a hitch. Yet another reason for people to get rid of SpyOS aka Windows.

I mean, come on people there is a reason why it has a "free update". You can't turn off the spying features contrary to the "settings", and you can't turn off auto updates which, considering it's Microsoft, always has a bug in it, that they later have to roll out a new update to fix the old one, lol.

Upgraded a new machine yesterday from 8.1 (which I rather liked) to Win10 (which I like more). I had zero problems, and everything works as promised.

Still, I'm hanging on to my up-armored Win7 Ultimate machine and my Ubuntu machine for things like Internet banking, surfing sketchy sites, and of course for studying elite sites like CamCaps and RLC. I don't want to get Cortana jealous of Leora or the other RLC babes.

Fortunately, unlike some others here, I have the luxury of having a few extra machines laying around so I figured I'd take the chance. I am not disappointed. So far. (Wait until the subscriptions start!  :yikes:)

Upgraded a new machine yesterday from 8.1 (which I rather liked) to Win10 (which I like more). I had zero problems, and everything works as promised.

Still, I'm hanging on to my up-armored Win7 Ultimate machine and my Ubuntu machine for things like Internet banking, surfing sketchy sites, and of course for studying elite sites like CamCaps and RLC. I don't want to get Cortana jealous of Leora or the other RLC babes.

Fortunately, unlike some others here, I have the luxury of having a few extra machines laying around so I figured I'd take the chance. I am not disappointed. So far. (Wait until the subscriptions start!  :yikes:)

Oh for sure!! I'm suspicious of a corporation giving anything away for free. Either they are selling all your info to the highest bidder, or they are doing that to hook you then hit you with subscription fees later, like you mentioned. They'll make their money somehow. Adobe did that same model with Photoshop awhile ago with monthly subscriptions to use their product.

For ones that have issues with the running process RunTime Broker  here is what you do to disable it from running.

Runtime Broker is a service called Time Broker, which can be disabled through editing the registry.

Right-click on the Start Menu Icon. Go to RUN and type regedit.exe and select OK.

Find the following entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TimeBroker] "Start"=dword:00000003

Change the 3 to a 4.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TimeBroker] "Start"=dword:00000004

4 is Disabled, 3 is Manual and 2 is Automatic startup.

Before editing, the original value was 3. Set to 4 to disable. Just change the 3 to a 4 through the MODIFY menu selection, exit regedit and reboot your system.

After this edit, Runtime Broker no longer runs and the CPU at idle is now only 0 to 1 or 2 percent instead of 70 to 80 percent when the service is running.

Squirrel reporting in on Win10.

OK, so I've now been on Win10 for several days.

- Experienced one incidence of "Out of Memory" crash, with only a Firefox window open, sitting idle. This, I understand, has been reported as a common problem that can somehow be fixed.

- Started up a privacy program called "O&O Shut up 10" (as suggested by Kim Komando.) It turned off something necessary and I suddenly had no driver to my network card, and the computer decided that my laser printer was the network router  :doh:. (Wireless still worked.) Rolled back to a restore point, and it actually worked! My first time ever having a Restore Point work on any windows machine! But then I  had to re-install the network card driver, and I'm back to full function. Essentially this is similar to TxFeller's experience. Funny things happen when you tell Win10 to quit snooping on you.

The processor runs at 25% at idle with spikes to 90% when the "Snoopy" process kicks in, but with an I5 & 12 gigs DDR3 ram, my virtual memory disk IO is minimal.

I think this OS would probably bog down my 4gig AMD machine, however. Regarding StnCld's problem, I think the OS has not been tuned up for the various processors and system configurations that are out in the field quite yet.

Guest TxFeller

For ones that have issues with the running process RunTime Broker  here is what you do to disable it from running.

Runtime Broker is a service called Time Broker, which can be disabled through editing the registry.

Something I noticed is that after I 'End Task' for Runtime Broker, if I start up any of my Xbox Microshaft games (Microsoft Solitaire Collection, Minesweeper, Mahjong, Puzzles, etc...), RTB runs again. So, if you want to play any of the Xbox games on your system, it may not be advisable to totally disable RTB.

Something I noticed is that after I 'End Task' for Runtime Broker, if I start up any of my Xbox Microshaft games (Microsoft Solitaire Collection, Minesweeper, Mahjong, Puzzles, etc...), RTB runs again. So, if you want to play any of the Xbox games on your system, it may not be advisable to totally disable RTB.

It all depends on what you use your computer for. I myself don't use mine for games and such things from the Windows Store so disabling it was my best option as it uses up a lot of CPU resources.

If you need that process then just keep it removed from Task Manager. When you use something that needs that task then it will start upon command.

Howdy, folks!!

I haven't jumped into this thread yet because I didn't want to scare anyone away with my support for Win10...but reading a few pages shows me that people are having success with the OS.  Good deal.

For those of you who use Android, iOS or CyanogenOS and have Win10 on their computer, you can now use Cortana on your phone and it'll integrate with your computer.  In other words, you can tell Cortana to do something while on your desktop...like send a text to someone or call someone...and it'll make your phone do it.  I can say, "Hey, Cortana...call Cindy." and my Android phone will call her.

Here is a link that talks about this stuff:  http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/cortana-comes-to-ios-android-and-cyanogenos-devices-brings-nifty-features-290962.html

For those of you who use Android, iOS or CyanogenOS and have Win10 on their computer, you can now use Cortana on your phone and it'll integrate with your computer.  ...

Thank you JoJo. I always respect your comments.

It's obvious that the purveyors of Operating Systems have been working on device independence, meaning that they'll work on any device, since now people have so many different devices. Those of us who are laptop or desktop oldsters will simply need to understand that the new operating systems (and this includes even the newer versions Linux distribs) are radically changing to ultimately reach this goal, and though they come with some pain involved, these changes are inevitable.

Microsoft's recent tendency to include Linux occasionally in their support mechanisms is shocking; but Apple's reluctance to give up it's proprietary domains is not surprising, with perhaps the exception of Itunes, which works on PCs, but not on Unix systems. Apple has other interests.

Google has always supported cross-platform, on all platforms (Linux included: Google Earth works great on my Linux box and so have their other aps --and yes, I know Android is Unix based) and I think MS has decided that it must respond with a similar and hopefully better effort to become the almighty "Universal Operating System."

Apple's strategy is to sell new and innovative physical products based on proprietary hardware and software: Microsoft and Google never cared about selling gizmos. They are interested in something far more expansive: control of the entire consumerist IT virtual market which controls those physical devices.

That's just my  :twocents:

I'll simply roll with the change...

Thank you JoJo. I always respect your comments.

It's obvious that the purveyors of Operating Systems have been working on device independence, meaning that they'll work on any device, since now people have so many different devices. Those of us who are laptop or desktop oldsters will simply need to understand that the new operating systems (and this includes even the newer versions Linux distribs) are radically changing to ultimately reach this goal, and though they come with some pain involved, these changes are inevitable.

Microsoft's recent tendency to include Linux occasionally in their support mechanisms is shocking; but Apple's reluctance to give up it's proprietary domains is not surprising, with perhaps the exception of Itunes, which works on PCs, but not on Unix systems. Apple has other interests.

Google has always supported cross-platform, on all platforms (Linux included: Google Earth works great on my Linux box and so have their other aps --and yes, I know Android is Unix based) and I think MS has decided that it must respond with a similar and hopefully better effort to become the almighty "Universal Operating System."

Apple's strategy is to sell new and innovative physical products based on proprietary hardware and software: Microsoft and Google never cared about selling gizmos. They are interested in something far more expansive: control of the entire consumerist IT virtual market which controls those physical devices.

That's just my  :twocents:

I'll simply roll with the change...

Companies like Microsoft won't leave people much choice but to roll with the change. Mainstream Support for Windows 7 is already done. Extended Support only lasts until 2020 then that's the end of the line for Windows 7.

Archived