Juke Box Split #5

woodworker

My following artist is an artist that unfortunately died 19 years ago but he will always be associated with country music...  John Denver, may you rest in peace.  For some reason I really like country music, I can't help it but when I'm in the USA on vacation I always rent a car with a SiriusXM satellite radio to be sure I can get country music stations while driving.  Maybe it's because country music will always be associated with the US, I don't know but I do like a nice country song.  I guess I should grab my Stetson, have a Cohiba and pour myself a glass of Bowmore Jack Daniels and enjoy the following song: "Thank God I'm a country boy"

Yihaaaaaaa :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Let's stay a bit in the country music.  For my next artist I've chosen Willie Nelson, one of America's greatest country artists who was (is) also active as an actor and activist.  Maybe he's even more a hippie then a country star :-)

In 1980 he wrote his biggest hit which got him a Grammy award for the best country song:  On the road again.

I've chosen for his performance at "The Grand Ole Opry"

• Upvote 1

From country to rhythm and blues is only a small step.  Who doesn't remember the movie "The Blues Brothers"?  It was a comedy (or should we say a musical criminal comedy?) about a blues band called The Blues Brothers.  Originally founded by actors Dan Aykroyd and John Belucci they made some famous songs, since the death of Belucci (in 1982 I think) the band has rotating members but Dan Aykroyd is still part of the band as is John's brother, the actor Jim Belucci.

I've chosen for their movie performance in 1980 with the original members Dan & Jim.  "Everybody needs somebody to love" was originally recorded in 1964 by Solomon Burke but the version of The Blues Brothers is much more famous (and entertaining to watch) :-)

• Upvote 1

So let's jump to my midlife crisis :biggrin: and start with some more interesting music.  Let's start with Van Halen, this band was formed in 1972 by 2 Dutch brothers Eddie & Alex Van Halen. 

I would have chosen for "Hot for teacher" but tonight seems a night to "Jump".  Van Halen wrote the song in 1983 and it became one of their best known songs.  I've chosen for a 2015 live performance on the American tv:

I guess the "jump" :biggrin: from Van Halen to Kiss is only a small one, so my next band is going to be Kiss.  Kiss was formed in the same time period as Van Halen, more specific in 1973 by Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley (which are the sole original bandmembers still on the band today).  The bandmembers of Kiss are recognisable with their face paint and were featured in the 1999 music comedy "Detroit Rock City".

I've chosen for Detroit Rock City, more specific their performance in 2012 on the Letterman show:

• Upvote 1

A final one for today:  Let's cross the pond back to Europe, more specific to the United Kingdom where we find the only band in the world who tours around the world with a Boeing 747-400 plane and where the lead singer pilots that particular plane himself as a licensed commercial pilot (captain). I'm talking about Iron Maiden, a band formed by Steve Harris in 1975.  Lead singer Bruce Dickinson (who is not only a licensed commercial pilot (Captain on the Boeing 737, 757 and recently also on the 747, he's also licensed as a training instructor and examinator on the Boeing 737 and 757) but also is the owner of several aviation businesses (MRO facility, Pilot training facility, ACMI plane leasing, Charter airline, Private Jet sales business, ...) made the band more successful when he joined in 1981.

I've chosen for "The Trooper", here performed in Chile in 2011:

• Upvote 1

Recently, in a weaken state, (Drunk), I ventured into what is normally foreign territory for me concerning the web, and clicked on You Tube, "The 25 most embarrassing moments for certain performers", only to watch Justin Bieber finally steal the show by throwing up on stage in front of his hundreds of adoring fans, who no doubt paid big money just to go and see this.

And while in this inebriated stupor I couldn't help but wonder what next?  

Honestly, I fully expect that one day one of these galactic mega stars will soon just prance out onto the stage and simply bare their ass and take a dump there.    It's inevitable to me, and what is probably due to the strains that arises from that of an overly inflated status of fame mixed with that of a lack of talent.  

Anyway, We sure have come a long way from the days of the Everly Brothers, or Ricky Nelson, haven't we.

• Upvote 4