Juke Box Split #6

woodworker

The way Dylan guards his royalty rights I'd be lucky if this stays up here for more than ten minutes.

But this was the song that was playing at Lee's pool hall way back when I was young, and had nearly averted a brawl, which could have been ugly, with the way that I was back in those days.

Lee's was an old time joint off in my neighborhood, a narrow building with cinder block walls, and long wooden troughs filled with sand to put your cigarette butts in.   Even the tables, just like old Lee himself were from back in the thirties and forties.  

Anyway, he use to hide some of us out in the back storage room when I was fourteen and would skip school.  

So, over the years I grew to like Lee very much.  

Well, a little later on when I was then sixteen, and while this song just happened to be playing, Danny, while breaking, hit the que ball too low and it leaped off the table like a rocket and after bouncing hard off one of the walls came close to hitting some of the other toughs a little ways off.   The guy was a bit angry, but then looked at my watchful eye, and kindly tossed the ball back gently instead.

Then, old Minnesota slop, reared back to break again, and WHAM!   Right off the table, then off the wall, and right back at that same guy once again.   He almost lost it, but when he saw that I had already stuck my pool que into the corner pocket of my table and had a severe bend now going on as I was about to snap it in two to lance my would be adversaries with it, he re-considered once again.

And to think that this sort of memory could be sparked by a simple little tune as this.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, woodworker said:

The way Dylan guards his royalty rights I'd be lucky if this stays up here for more than ten minutes.

But this was the song that was playing at Lee's pool hall way back when I was young, and had nearly averted a brawl, which could have been ugly, with the way that I was back in those days.

Lee's was an old time joint off in my neighborhood, a narrow building with cinder block walls, and long wooden troughs filled with sand to put your cigarette butts in.   Even the tables, just like old Lee himself were from back in the thirties and forties.  

Anyway, he use to hide some of us out in the back storage room when I was fourteen and would skip school.  

So, over the years I grew to like Lee very much.  

Well, a little later on when I was then sixteen, and while this song just happened to be playing, Danny, while breaking, hit the que ball too low and it leaped off the table like a rocket and after bouncing hard off one of the walls came close to hitting some of the other toughs a little ways off.   The guy was a bit angry, but then looked at my watchful eye, and kindly tossed the ball back gently instead.

Then, old Minnesota slop, reared back to break again, and WHAM!   Right off the table, then off the wall, and right back at that same guy once again.   He almost lost it, but when he saw that I had already stuck my pool que into the corner pocket of my table and had a severe bend now going on as I was about to snap it in two to lance my would be adversaries with it, he re-considered once again.

And to think that this sort of memory could be sparked by a simple little tune as this.

First off...that is a great tune and secondly....you and I would have been in so much trouble it's not even funny LOL.   I'm so glad you decided to stay WW.....you are a great person and I would have missed you so much!!

Either you are one ugly dude with a canted eye or you're one big sumbitch!!

Love your stories my friend......excellent indeed!

• Upvote 1