How is the quality of life in USA compared to Europe?

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:47 AM, SPYING 1 said:

You guys left out, the FREEDOM we have in the U.S.A. We AMERICANS can own as many guns as we can afford !!!!😜

Blow a Gasket and become Mentally Unstable and they'll come and take your Guns away.   :biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BBsq69 said:

Where do you get this information from?

First of all rate of rape crime is extremely difficult to tell since it is dependent on culture, the current state of the law where the crime is committed and vitally that includes the definition of rape. These make comparison virtually impossible.

Second, recorded figures in the US are still quite a bit higher than for Western Europe

Third, none of this is direct evidence of firearms laws having anything to do with the rate of rape. In fact the only way you could measure it is if you changed firearms laws in a US state while keeping everything else the same. Everything else is speculation. Statistic are hard to read as there are other factors. Because there was a clear religious/racial element to the Rotherham case then a large part of that was a fear of politicians, civil servants and police of being accused of racism which is a social factor which has now presumably ended. This is part of what makes figures hard to look at. We see figures trend and we investigate why. Often we do that by applying complex regression methods but they can also lead to incorrect conclusions. Don't get me wrong the figures provide clues to what is worth investigating, but it needs serious research my qualified people which costs public money that people are unwilling to spend.   

https://canadafreepress.com/article/muslim-migration-and-rape-statistics-in-europe

1 hour ago, BBsq69 said:

Where do you get this information from?

First of all rate of rape crime is extremely difficult to tell since it is dependent on culture, the current state of the law where the crime is committed and vitally that includes the definition of rape. These make comparison virtually impossible.

Second, recorded figures in the US are still quite a bit higher than for Western Europe

Third, none of this is direct evidence of firearms laws having anything to do with the rate of rape. In fact the only way you could measure it is if you changed firearms laws in a US state while keeping everything else the same. Everything else is speculation. Statistic are hard to read as there are other factors. Because there was a clear religious/racial element to the Rotherham case then a large part of that was a fear of politicians, civil servants and police of being accused of racism which is a social factor which has now presumably ended. This is part of what makes figures hard to look at. We see figures trend and we investigate why. Often we do that by applying complex regression methods but they can also lead to incorrect conclusions. Don't get me wrong the figures provide clues to what is worth investigating, but it needs serious research my qualified people which costs public money that people are unwilling to spend.   

WWW.BBC.COM

Swedish national TV says 58% of men convicted of rape in the past five years were born abroad.

6 minutes ago, SPYING 1 said:
WWW.BBC.COM

Swedish national TV says 58% of men convicted of rape in the past five years were born abroad.

How have you extrapolated out from this to connecting to gun law in Europe. That's an amazing leap.
First of all Sweden has changed its definition of rape which would lead to more convictions in itself.

But your actual point is about immigration and here we move on to cultural differences. The laws in Syria and Afghanistan are I am certain very different. These are not necessarily new arrivals (37% of the population of London was born abroad). However, because of the civil war in Syria or more accurately Asad and Iran's war against Saudi Arabia which IS got involved in bringing in Russia, US, UK etc., a couple of years ago there was mass immigration into Sweden from Syria with some Afghans tagging along. This all came about due to Merkel inviting all the refugees into Germany and Sweden going along with them. It was probably not a sensible move because it encouraged a mass migration across Europe and in terms of population the influx into Sweden was bigger than even to Germany.

So this a particular set of circumstances. In the UK we have had cultural problems with the Pakistani community and quite frankly some of the exploitative teachings of the Saudi sponsored mosques which really should have been more controlled. But this is nothing to do with guns and I am sure in Sweden, as it is in the UK, the problem is being addressed. For Sweden who have never had mass immigration on this scale before (and in percentage terms, the Mexican border is a drop in the ocean compared to this) this has been a shock to the system. But the Sweden only represents 2.5% of the population of Western Europe with the other 97.5% having different laws and measurements. 

But the number of convictions for rape in Sweden is still well below that in the United States, again less than a quarter.in line with the average in NW Europe. 

4 minutes ago, BBsq69 said:

How have you extrapolated out from this to connecting to gun law in Europe. That's an amazing leap.
First of all Sweden has changed its definition of rape which would lead to more convictions in itself.

But your actual point is about immigration and here we move on to cultural differences. The laws in Syria and Afghanistan are I am certain very different. These are not necessarily new arrivals (37% of the population of London was born abroad). However, because of the civil war in Syria or more accurately Asad and Iran's war against Saudi Arabia which IS got involved in bringing in Russia, US, UK etc., a couple of years ago there was mass immigration into Sweden from Syria with some Afghans tagging along. This all came about due to Merkel inviting all the refugees into Germany and Sweden going along with them. It was probably not a sensible move because it encouraged a mass migration across Europe and in terms of population the influx into Sweden was bigger than even to Germany.

So this a particular set of circumstances. In the UK we have had cultural problems with the Pakistani community and quite frankly some of the exploitative teachings of the Saudi sponsored mosques which really should have been more controlled. But this is nothing to do with guns and I am sure in Sweden, as it is in the UK, the problem is being addressed. For Sweden who have never had mass immigration on this scale before (and in percentage terms, the Mexican border is a drop in the ocean compared to this) this has been a shock to the system. But the Sweden only represents 2.5% of the population of Western Europe with the other 97.5% having different laws and measurements. 

But the number of convictions for rape in Sweden is still well below that in the United States, again less than a quarter.in line with the average in NW Europe. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/eu-rape-numbers-england-wales-recorded-reported-police-european-union-a8072026.html

1 hour ago, BBsq69 said:

https://www.euronews.com/2017/11/24/which-eu-countries-have-the-highest-rate-of-sex-crimes-

4 hours ago, SPYING 1 said:

Do you actually read those articles?

Do you see that it mentions different cultural attitudes which might explain the differences? Are there any events you can think of which might make the UK particularly sensitive to sexual crimes? Well yes there are and that trend has been going on since early in this decade.

In the second article it says:

When comparing statistics in the EU it is important to bear in mind that countries record data differently and state laws vary greatly on what constitutes rape, so figures show the number of crimes that are reported—not committed.

which strangely is just about what I said except I already know this. I didn't have to look it up.

And again you were arguing about the fact that firearms made rape less likely so I am really struggling to see how you are comparing Western Europe with the US because you are not. And obviously you can't. I know you are not going to give up just keep searching the internet for some keywords without any depth of analysis about what you are actually reading. I might as well be arguing with a Google search engine.

The UK is a violent society so just imagine what would happen if we had guns. The US's firearm homicide rate is 70 times the UK's. 70 times is pretty remarkable. The worst in Western Europe is Italy which is still about 8% of the US rate and they have the Mafia.

• 2 weeks later...

The statistics regarding the idea that "The US's firearm homicide rate is 70 times the UK's. 70 times is pretty remarkable. The worst in Western Europe is Italy which is still about 8% of the US rate and they have the Mafia," seems to have come under serious skepticism. I trust just about no statistics about governments except this one:

and its nested sub-topic:

https://usdebtclock.org/world-debt-clock.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2019 at 12:55 AM, BBsq69 said:

Do you actually read those articles?

Do you see that it mentions different cultural attitudes which might explain the differences? Are there any events you can think of which might make the UK particularly sensitive to sexual crimes? Well yes there are and that trend has been going on since early in this decade.

In the second article it says:

When comparing statistics in the EU it is important to bear in mind that countries record data differently and state laws vary greatly on what constitutes rape, so figures show the number of crimes that are reported—not committed.

which strangely is just about what I said except I already know this. I didn't have to look it up.

And again you were arguing about the fact that firearms made rape less likely so I am really struggling to see how you are comparing Western Europe with the US because you are not. And obviously you can't. I know you are not going to give up just keep searching the internet for some keywords without any depth of analysis about what you are actually reading. I might as well be arguing with a Google search engine.

The UK is a violent society so just imagine what would happen if we had guns. The US's firearm homicide rate is 70 times the UK's. 70 times is pretty remarkable. The worst in Western Europe is Italy which is still about 8% of the US rate and they have the Mafia.

Haha--Fortunately here in the us you have the right to protect yourself and your loved ones should the need arise -- You dont have to put your life in the hands of the bad person---and a young girl can choose to carry a gun for protection so that she just doesnt have to bend over and take it --Another thing about rapes only a tiny portion of actual rapes are reported in the us

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2019 at 1:34 PM, sr71gn said:

Another thing about rapes only a tiny portion of actual rapes are reported in the us

So logically you are implying that the figures in the US are even worse than I've said.

I would imagine that many rapes go unreported in all countries but the fact remains that in the us a girl can carry protection if she chooses --- but it is so comforting to know you can carry your .45 and at least not be at a criminals mercy

• Like 2