New Years Resolutions

cheesehead51

As this will be my last New Year I have more than one resolution.  I resolve to finish my book before I die.  Hopefully you will see it on bookshelves before the end of the year.  The Title is Point Claire and it is the story of life aboard an 82' gunboat patrolling the Mekong Delta in 1967/8.  My other resolution is to make sure my 2 granddaughters never have to worry about how they will afford to go to college and I will have that completed in the next few weeks.  I would like to hear your New Years Resolutions, grand or small, if you care to share them.  Just please make them attainable, not to single handedly solve the world's hunger problems.  

• Like 4

iStock_000001860071Small_large.jpg.ff16bb262b37a8d878327d24e21ab04c.jpg

My resolution, to be stranded on an island with Clara and Ary... No crystal ball or physic can tell what the future holds for us. And that is precisely where the thrill lies. The reality of living is ‘uncertainty.’ Not knowing where the mystical road of life leads us to, but bearing a little hope and faith, we keep walking ahead. Living in a constant state of fear, doubt, worry, and anxiety about your past or your future is only going to ruin the beautiful aura of today.

Someone had once told me, “Live each moment at a time. Take each day at once, and you will find your life falling right in place. Faith and hope are two of the few strong drivers of your life.” This makes sense.

As a kid, I always wanted to be a grown-up, and now that I am technically a grown-up, I can’t help but miss my childhood days and wish I could go back and never grow up. Let us face it; we can’t undo what is done. Neither can we replay the past, nor can we fast-forward to the future. All we have with us right now is our present. Do not ruin your gift with the regrets from the past or the worries of your future.

It is very crucial to keep your life simple to save yourself from being trapped in the messy web created by yourself, by the complex thoughts in your head. The more you complicate your life, the more you will push happiness away from yourself. And I was also told, “It’s all in your head. The day you learn to control your mind is the day you will be the master of your life. Do not let your mind control your happiness, be in charge of your happiness and the controller of your life.”

There are going to be monsters fighting wars in your head, sadness is inevitable, people will come and go, but all of this will shape you as a person. Growth comes from the battles you have fought alone, scars and wounds that are left on your body, hurt, and the agony that your inner demons have caused. The minute you set yourself free from these demons, you will triumph over the entire world’s demons. You will become dominant and unstoppable. Moreover, remember, influential people, are not the ones who make no mistakes. Instead, they learn from their mistakes. We all are humans, after all, we are meant to fall and rise, and there is nothing called as perfection.

Don’t let the word ‘perfection’ bewilder you. Perfection is nothing but a state of mind. If you can go to bed without any regrets, you have lived a perfect day. Do not judge yourself by the standards that the society has set for you, rather set standards for yourself and set your definitions. Don’t nail yourself to the cross for something that made you happy but not the society. If your conscience allows you to do a particular thing and that’s where your happiness belongs, then leave the society behind and go for it. Be powerful. Be strong. A happy life and new year await you. Joey 01.gif.fd317cf6f771e7471e74999affd6eabf.gif

• Like 3

On 12/31/2018 at 7:57 AM, cheesehead51 said:

As this will be my last New Year I have more than one resolution.  I resolve to finish my book before I die.  Hopefully you will see it on bookshelves before the end of the year.  The Title is Point Claire and it is the story of life aboard an 82' gunboat patrolling the Mekong Delta in 1967/8.  My other resolution is to make sure my 2 granddaughters never have to worry about how they will afford to go to college and I will have that completed in the next few weeks.  I would like to hear your New Years Resolutions, grand or small, if you care to share them.  Just please make them attainable, not to single handedly solve the world's hunger problems.  

Dear Cheesy---As you and I are about the same age (me 71)--this really hit me hard.  First of all---anyone who served Our Country during Vietnam is top notch in my book (not counting myself)-you served the same time I did in US Army.  I will 

by all means get the book that you will finish--and hope that the continued proceeds go to your family. Your forethought about taking care of your granddaughters is fantastic--I have already started funds for my grandkids as well.  It is people like

you that make this world a better place and it is always sad to learn that we may lose someone way too early.  

God Bless and God Speed in your journey--maybe we will be lucky to visit this again January 1, 2020.

As for my New Year's resolution--I really did not make one, but continue to strive to make myself a better person, especially to my family and my kids, because of my addiction to alcohol (which I quit over 3 yrs ago) and my obsessive need to work,

I missed most of their growing up and my wife's real love.(we are still married however). I cannot ever get back those moments--but like you, can make the best of what time we have left. 

• Like 4

Thank you Happy for this post.  I debated long and hard about putting the truth out there but I had to be honest about my resolutions..Besides it probably won't too long and my absences from the forum and my spelling and grammar and who knows what else will begin to show more and more and questions will start coming so it will be difficult to hide.

Thank you for your service as well my friend.   As for the proceeds of my book 80% will of course go to my family but 20% is going to the Dry Hooch program.  I'm sure you of all people know what that is.  I am proud to have had a very small hand in it's creation and continue to support it every year.

You are wrong about one thing.  You do have a New Years Resolution.  Continuing to stay dry in 2019 is a fantastic resolution and one I know you will easily keep.  

• Like 3

On 12/31/2018 at 10:57 AM, cheesehead51 said:

BADASS!

I tried writing a book about my experiences, but my tears get in my way. I assume it will take me as long as it took you. The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event. What amazes me, how you stuck out in the open during a patrol, worst than urban warfare IMO. Thank you for your service. VIETNAM was brutal! We lost a lot of military personnel, especially my Marine brothers.

• Like 1

My dad went into the Army WWII in 1942. Drafted like just about any man then. He like the Military because of the organization. After WWII, he joined The Corps and went to Korea. After Korea he retired as an E-6. He came stateside and started his family. 'Nam was brewing and heating up a few years later. He had to go back into the Service. He signed up with The Marines, as an E-6 and was stationed at Camp LeJeune. After basic and still being Military trained he became an E-8 overnight. He ended his career (30 years) in The Corps.

My dad kicked my butt more than a few times. Only one time did I raise my hand to him. He picked me up (17 years old and not too shabby) and put me into the wall of the garage. While in the wall, he grabbed me by the throat and said, 'If you ever do that again, I will kill you.' He raised me right as did my Mom, and they both taught me well. For that, they have my never ending gratitude and respect.

At 18, I went to the Induction Center. The didn't accept me because I supposedly had a heart murmur. I have been passing US DOT physicals since I was 19, but I couldn't become a Marine . 

"Get out of that shitsack you call a bed you piece of shit." All a mind game to see if you can be broken.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2019 at 7:20 PM, TBG 150 said:

My dad went into the Army WWII in 1942. Drafted like just about any man then. He like the Military because of the organization. After WWII, he joined The Corps and went to Korea. After Korea he retired as an E-6. He came stateside and started his family. 'Nam was brewing and heating up a few years later. He had to go back into the Service. He signed up with The Marines, as an E-6 and was stationed at Camp LeJeune. After basic and still being Military trained he became an E-8 overnight. He ended his career (30 years) in The Corps.

My dad kicked my butt more than a few times. Only one time did I raise my hand to him. He picked me up (17 years old and not too shabby) and put me into the wall of the garage. While in the wall, he grabbed me by the throat and said, 'If you ever do that again, I will kill you.' He raised me right as did my Mom, and they both taught me well. For that, they have my never ending gratitude and respect.

At 18, I went to the Induction Center. The didn't accept me because I supposedly had a heart murmur. I have been passing US DOT physicals since I was 19, but I couldn't become a Marine . 

"Get out of that shitsack you call a bed you piece of shit." All a mind game to see if you can be broken.

iStock_000001860071Small_large.jpg.10d6860589a64b78e3a6f2521dda4dfb.jpg

Yes! That's why our motto is "The Few - The Proud - The Marines." Over a hundred men stood on those yellow foot-prints at 0300 AM - Only 48 of us graduated. This is NOT during the draft. The new Corp! (no difference) Better bunks!

I too grabbed my nephew the same way your father, did you. I don't know why I did it, or I know, till this day, my nephew fears me. Something I'm not proud of. I still have my bad days when I witness a man's abuse of a Women, Child, or Animals.

• Like 1