Are PMs Really Private?

Amy3

3 minutes ago, moos54 said:

No we are not paid to moderate the forum, we do this as a volunteer because we love this community

I have notice lately that all you mods get paid quite a lot--but it isn't compliments 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, moos54 said:

No we are not paid to moderate the forum, we do this as a volunteer because we love this community

Woaw that's crazy to me. That's a lot of work for no pay. I would really hope the owner doesn't make a lot of money from this forum cause that would be such a rip off. I clearly have no idea how the forum business works. Not saying it's bad or anything. Just spouting my random opinion.

Check around, AntEater. Rarely will you see a forum that has paid Mods. The Admin may make a small amount based on membership but, then you have to consider the hosting costs. This board eats up huge amounts with all of the pictures and videos occupying the server. There are 3 Mods and 1 Forum Administrator and 1 Forum owner. 

For the crowd out there, the Mods can basically see nothing as far as personal info is concerned. They can only hide threads with no power to delete the threads unless it's a spammer. Anything that is reported has to be looked at by all of the Mods and the Forum Admin and agree that it doesn't serve the board in a positive way. If there is a deadlock, it goes the the Forum Owner in which he makes the final decision. His house, his rules. Like it or leave.

The Forum Admin, can't do a whole lot more than the rest. He can add or deduct from the forum itself. The software has a lot of settings and like I said earlier, the Admin keeps it locked down to where a rogue Mod can't take out his board. What the Owner allows the the subordinates to see is his choice, but I would bet $1000 to anyone here that would say that StnCld316 can read PM's. No way in hell. Maybe like was noted previously there are permissions that are out there but, I would make the bet that the Owner wouldn't allow that. That places a legal liability on Stone. He may be hanging in this place, but he isn't that stupid. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

On 4/21/2020 at 4:19 PM, TBG 150 said:

Check around, AntEater. Rarely will you see a forum that has paid Mods. The Admin may make a small amount based on membership but, then you have to consider the hosting costs. This board eats up huge amounts with all of the pictures and videos occupying the server. There are 3 Mods and 1 Forum Administrator and 1 Forum owner. 

For the crowd out there, the Mods can basically see nothing as far as personal info is concerned. They can only hide threads with no power to delete the threads unless it's a spammer. Anything that is reported has to be looked at by all of the Mods and the Forum Admin and agree that it doesn't serve the board in a positive way. If there is a deadlock, it goes the the Forum Owner in which he makes the final decision. His house, his rules. Like it or leave.

The Forum Admin, can't do a whole lot more than the rest. He can add or deduct from the forum itself. The software has a lot of settings and like I said earlier, the Admin keeps it locked down to where a rogue Mod can't take out his board. What the Owner allows the the subordinates to see is his choice, but I would bet $1000 to anyone here that would say that StnCld316 can read PM's. No way in hell. Maybe like was noted previously there are permissions that are out there but, I would make the bet that the Owner wouldn't allow that. That places a legal liability on Stone. He may be hanging in this place, but he isn't that stupid. 

You seem to know a lot about this stuff, I just have a few more questions if you don't mind. Why would the owner go into this forum business if it doesn't make much money? Also could the owner make more ad revenue by adding ad space? Thanks!

3 hours ago, AntEater said:

You seem to know a lot about this stuff, I just have a few more questions if you don't mind. Why would the owner go into this forum business if it doesn't make much money? Also could the owner make more ad revenue by adding ad space? Thanks!

A lot? Not by any means. Just enough to get into trouble or stay out of it. I'll do what I can to answer your questions...

Why would the owner go into this forum business if it doesn't make much money?

*The site owner may be new into website development and creates a site in which to 'practice' on. If he screws up, only the owner suffers the consequences. If he/she can create a site with fair traffic volume and create enough income to sustain the site, he breaks even, minus his time and learning curve effort. Therefore, a small income is generated and it, on it's own may pay for the hosting of the site and the cost if any for the site software. This software, while outdated, may have been top of the line during its inception period and cost a few bucks to post it live.

Also could the owner make more ad revenue by adding ad space?

*Using yourself for example. Would you like to go to your favorite site only to find that everytime you click on an item to open an ad pops up? I know that I wouldn't and truthfully, don't. I simply don't bother. I go elsewhere for the information. The Web is huge. Many options out there. Plus, many people use ad-blockers. I use 'AdBlock Plus' and love it. I don't even know if this site has ad pop ups. The ads can also be put on a sidebar so as not to get in the way of text by the members. That way they are still there, just not a major annoyance. A host also has to make the site available on iO/S and Android for phone users. Ads could be a real nuisance on a small phone screen. 

If you can get 1000 people to pay a very reasonable cost of say, $20 for an entire year, you made $20,000. Not a bad haul. But there are many costs to consider. Hosting is the main one. Depending on the host, it has to be dependable. A site that goes down, like RLC when overloaded won't last. A site that is maintained by a good host costs money. If it slows down and you create a support ticket and it takes them more than an hour to fix the issue, they don't really care about you. That's generalizing, but a fact none the less. 

Now you have to moderate the site. Mods are usually selected from a group that contributes to the welfare of the board, wants the power of a mod and can be fair. If you have 20,000 people registered and they all participate, then you have 20,000 differing personalities. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. You simply can't please them all. Just for the amount of time I spent as an Admin here, it made me say, 'screw it, it's not worth it'. I stayed away for a year or more before returning. Reading some of the constant trash that is posted here, I'm real close to pulling the plug again.

I hope I answered your questions. You're welcome.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TBG 150 said:

A lot? Not by any means. Just enough to get into trouble or stay out of it. I'll do what I can to answer your questions...

Why would the owner go into this forum business if it doesn't make much money?

*The site owner may be new into website development and creates a site in which to 'practice' on. If he screws up, only the owner suffers the consequences. If he/she can create a site with fair traffic volume and create enough income to sustain the site, he breaks even, minus his time and learning curve effort. Therefore, a small income is generated and it, on it's own may pay for the hosting of the site and the cost if any for the site software. This software, while outdated, may have been top of the line during its inception period and cost a few bucks to post it live.

Also could the owner make more ad revenue by adding ad space?

*Using yourself for example. Would you like to go to your favorite site only to find that everytime you click on an item to open an ad pops up? I know that I wouldn't and truthfully, don't. I simply don't bother. I go elsewhere for the information. The Web is huge. Many options out there. Plus, many people use ad-blockers. I use 'AdBlock Plus' and love it. I don't even know if this site has ad pop ups. The ads can also be put on a sidebar so as not to get in the way of text by the members. That way they are still there, just not a major annoyance. A host also has to make the site available on iO/S and Android for phone users. Ads could be a real nuisance on a small phone screen. 

If you can get 1000 people to pay a very reasonable cost of say, $20 for an entire year, you made $20,000. Not a bad haul. But there are many costs to consider. Hosting is the main one. Depending on the host, it has to be dependable. A site that goes down, like RLC when overloaded won't last. A site that is maintained by a good host costs money. If it slows down and you create a support ticket and it takes them more than an hour to fix the issue, they don't really care about you. That's generalizing, but a fact none the less. 

Now you have to moderate the site. Mods are usually selected from a group that contributes to the welfare of the board, wants the power of a mod and can be fair. If you have 20,000 people registered and they all participate, then you have 20,000 differing personalities. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. You simply can't please them all. Just for the amount of time I spent as an Admin here, it made me say, 'screw it, it's not worth it'. I stayed away for a year or more before returning. Reading some of the constant trash that is posted here, I'm real close to pulling the plug again.

I hope I answered your questions. You're welcome.

That was very helpful. Thanks a lot!

• Like 1