US General Domestic Politics #10 Begin 10/29/20

1 hour ago, ed2 said:

I think he must understand the concept of a federation. He is German, and Germany is also a federation. The reason for so many votes being wasted, and also why you only get 2 parties with any chance of representation, is your first-past-the-post system. Or plurality voting, wich is a more technical term. The UK have the same. But countries in Europe have a voting systems with proportional representation. In USA, I think only Maine and Nebraska does it like that.

My point was, each state gets to decide how their representatives vote. Most states go with winner-take-all for the popular vote, but they don't have to. If they wanted to let the representatives vote for whoever they want, regardless of what the population thinks, that would be legal (if extremely unpopular (heh... )). And the votes are proportionate... just not an even proportion...  e.g. each state gets 2 votes, then based on their population and districts they get a split of the other 438 votes, not saying it's not complicated, but it is fair(ish)... no matter how unfair the losing side (whoever they may be....) thinks it is that they lost...

Of course the above doesn't take into account any corruption they may come into play, but for me that's a separate issue to the process... 

That's why states like California get 55 (2 + 53) votes, Texas 39 (2 + 37) and states like WY get 3 (2 + 1)...

I know you probably know a lot of this already @ed2, but I wanted to show some examples of where I'm coming from...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bluewinner said:

Biden is closing the gap in Georgia 😃

Screenshot 2020-11-05 at 03.25.27.png

Don't worry. The Democrats who control the vote counting process in Atlanta will find or create enough votes to give the Georgia election to Biden. The outcome is predetermined, it's just a matter of how do they accomplish the task.

• Haha 1