Building a stick!

Down toward the bottom of it, it has what appears to be an LNB. And by the angle of the LNB it may be able to capture spot beam signals. But the hoop type object doesn't have a dish shape to it to capture and direct the signal to the focal point of the supposed LNB.

Too bad it isn't a nice clear pic. A proper zoom and I'd have a great shot at Leora's feet.  ;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Squirrel

I agree Paul is a smart guy. He just needs to mature as a man. Given time I'm sure he will but I am not sure he will still be with Leora!

I'm sure Google's HR has sent out an application to him already...

It's a directional antenna. I know nothing about antennas, of course, but I do understand a bit about engineering. I'm waiting to watch him wind a thousand turns of wire to make a Tesla coil.

He's far smarter than most CamCaps members give him credit for.

Anyhow, the device looks cool.

A Tesla coil is used for generating electricity, this device he is building appears to be meant to receive signals.

So far it is hard to determine it's purpose and may be designed for any number of reasons.

It also looks like the base coil on a ground sweeping bomb or metal detector.

There are what appears to be cables running off one side near the stem.

Guest whoever

i think he is Building a Nuclear Reactor.. the neighborhood needs to run on the Emergency Generator too much so the House manager gave him the Mission to do it..

i really hope he can Finnish it before the next Winter.. so they can have full use of it ..

and i think he may have some Plutonium somewhere.. .

Guest Squirrel

I'm pretty sure it's a receiving antenna. It looks a lot like the ones that secret police or Gestapo used to track down illicit transmitters in WWII. They'd drive around with them on the top of their lorry, the antenna would rotate, then they'd go in and shoot the allied agents when the signal got the strongest.

Made for suspenseful movies.

On the other hand, maybe he has AT&T and wants to get more bars in more places for a change, so he plans to hook this up to his cell phone.

It is a Magnetic Loop Antenna. That box at the bottom houses a tuning capacitor and the inner single loop is what "picks off" the signal. It is a tuned directional antenna with a built in pre-selector. I wonder if it is for Shortwave Listening or if he is an Amateur Radio Operator like myself. I see no Ham Gear around... yet.

It is a tuned directional antenna with a built in pre-selector.

If it is an antenna, it is an omni-directional antenna.

Directional antenna require a center receiver if round and should be dished to focus the signal.

I have also seen them made out of Pringle cans, but are more commonly the Yagi type.

Wait are you sure that stick or directional thingy isn't like one of those electric fly zappers? OR could be some sort of electrode-gizmo guidance device to bring in the Mother Ship to take him home.....