All Things BASEBALL

KarenKraft

150420082751332602.jpg

Ball coming in to catcher at home plate.

150420082752220424.jpg

Ball in catchers glove.

150420082753158270.jpg

Catcher now going for the tag.

150420082753990828.jpg

Catchers glove now on the ground and Robinsons foot no where near the plate.

150420082754839003.jpg

Still not touching the plate and catchers glove on the ground.

150420082755740033.jpg

He's definitely out.  The Umpire never had a clear view of the plate the whole time.  Bad Call on the Umpires part.

The video that was posted had a few spots of hesitation when I tried to get the clips on GOM, so I downloaded a better quality one and got it frame by frame.

I have added the clip if you want to check this one, but you can see he is out at the plate.

35165_1b65eb75a7b7d4e46f2027e510786d3bbd4f8fc8.mp4

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doc Ford on Baseball:

“I am not a baseball fan, but I am a fan of baseball. Thats not the paradox it seems. I have never followed teams and box scares, but I love to play the game. Which is why I was not unhappy that Amanda had to leave early and get back to Lauderdale. I had a game that afternoon.

What a strange thing to remind myself of after all the years since Id played competitively: have a game this afternoon.

Actually, it was a doubleheader.

A month or so earlier, Tomlinson had signed us both up to play in a baseball league; the Roy Hobbs League it is called, a national organization named after the fictional hero in Bernard Malamuds valuable book The Natural. Not Softball, baseball, a game where players steal bases and slide and wear helmets at the plate for a reason.

It was the real game. Rules required that players had to be over the ripe old age of thirty, and a solid baseball background was requisite. The league attracted a lot of former college players and a few ex-professionals, but mostly the teams were made up of an eclectic bunch of amateurs who, in their spare time, were attorneys, surgeons, plumbers and teachers or followed other vocations that were not as much fun as putting on spikes and playing nine.

Without asking my permission, Tomlinson signed us up because he said it would do the both of us good, getting off the island. No what he actually said was, Itll be good for our heads, man. Get out there between the lines where the karma is purer. Keep in mind, amigo, that the shape of a baseball diamond is nothing more than two pyramids joined at the base. And I suspect that youve read about the electromagnetic vibes generated by pyramids. Very powerful, man. A very heavy mojo.

Which was Tomlinson-speak that meant playing baseball would give us something to do that wasnt based on boats or water a nice change that might help get my mind off such things as the sexual transformation of grouper and my own failed love affair with Pilar.

Maybe Tomlinson was right, because Id come to look forward to playing baseball on Sundays. Sometimes on Thursday nights, too, under the lights. And I wasnt about to let Tucker Gatrell hold me up or make me late. So I hustled around my cabin, dressing myself in cup and supporter, stirrups over long white socks that were still known by the odd, antique name of sanitaries. Pulled on gray stretch baseball pants that buttoned tightly where white pinstripe jersey bloused at my waist, then settled my teams ball cap on my head with no less care than knights of old who once added crowning balance to their personal armor-work.  Presto. Marion Ford, Ph. D. and purveyor of biological specimens, was now a simpler man of purer purpose.”

© 1998 White, Randy Wayne, The Mangrove Coast (G.P. Putnam's Sons, ISBN 0-399-14372-6)

She probably ripped the ticket right out of his hand.  "Gimmy That!"  As visions of hot dogs and beer went swirling around inside her dizzy head.   

Sorry Charlie,.. You should have known her better than that.       

If I had known her, being as cute as she is, I suppose I would have had to don on a baseball outfit, (Her team of course), and go pay her a visit, perhaps on trick or treat night.  I'll take my chances.

"Batter Up!" 

Oh, and I'll bring my own hot dog with me.  Maybe even put a little mustard and relish on it if she's partial to that.  ;)

Take Me Out to the Ballgame (1908)

Katie Casey was baseball mad

Had the fever and had it bad

Just to root for the home town crew

Every sou, Katie blew

On a Saturday her young beau

Called to see if she'd like to go

To see a show, but Miss Kate said "No,

I'll tell you what you can do:"

Take me out to the ball game

Take me out with the crowd

Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack