Happy Thanksgiving

Guest TxFeller

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TBG, man, that sounds great. I love a good prime rib. Have some creamed horseradish and some au jus gravy to go with it and I am set.  :drool:

What was in your enchiladas, dfCcap? I used to make Green Enchiladas. Filling is chopped onion, chopped black olives and shredded monterrey jack. Sauce has a base of chicken broth plus sour cream and just enough flour or cornstarch to thicken the mix up, plus any leftover chopped innards and shredded cheese. I've tried putting meat into them, but they just aren't the same.

We used a mild cheddar cheese and lots of onions!!  The mild cheddar (block cheese) has to be grated or they are not as good due to whatever the processor puts on the already grated cheese (i believe it's flour) you can buy.  The enchilada sauce is key as well, we thickened it with chili before baking them in the oven.  Making my mouth water all over again lol, and you're right, they are not the same with meat in them in my opinion.

Guest TxFeller

The enchilada sauce is key as well, we thickened it with chili before baking them in the oven.

Yup. Just perfect. That's true TexMex style, there. Reminds me of El Fenix restaurant near downtown Dallas on McKinney St. Of course, to be a perfect replica, you'd have to have a lil old Mexican granny in the corner hand-making tortillas. lol

Oh... and frozen margaritas. =)

Yup. Just perfect. That's true TexMex style, there. Reminds me of El Fenix restaurant near downtown Dallas on McKinney St. Of course, to be a perfect replica, you'd have to have a lil old Mexican granny in the corner hand-making tortillas. lol

Oh... and frozen margaritas. =)

You are right about the handmade tortillas for sure but we used store bought lol.  Being a Texas man myself I've eaten allot of good tex-mex over the years lol.

To all Americans Happy Thanksgiving.  Enjoy the Feast with all the trimmings this weekend.

Geeze, this got turned into a food thread pretty quickly. But thanks. I'll remember you on Boxing Day, Dec. 26.

Everyday when I wake up and I know my kids are doing well, I am thankful.

(Weekend, smeekend. I'll be eating left-over turkey sandwiches for the next two weeks. At least nobody brought green quivering jello salads to the event! Thankful for that!)

Guest TxFeller

I'd rather have a big plate of fried chicken over all of it.  :yeahbaby:  I think that's my all time favorite. My Mrs., keeps waiting for me to grow feathers.

For the sheer abundance of times I have enjoyed a good meal featuring fried chicken, it's hard to argue with that choice. I am extremely fond, though, of a well-done meal of chicken and dumplings. Don't spare the black pepper, and don't give me a serving that's got nothing but breasts in it (like Cracker Barrel does).

My #1 choice of meals, though, is a plateful of crappie fillets (fried in cornmeal) with homemade pepper "sauce" (juice, really), and taters that were fried in the fish grease, maybe a side of spinach and a lil sliced white onion.

For the sheer abundance of times I have enjoyed a good meal featuring fried chicken, it's hard to argue with that choice. I am extremely fond, though, of a well-done meal of chicken and dumplings. Don't spare the black pepper, and don't give me a serving that's got nothing but breasts in it (like Cracker Barrel does).

My #1 choice of meals, though, is a plateful of crappie fillets (fried in cornmeal) with homemade pepper "sauce" (juice, really), and taters that were fried in the fish grease, maybe a side of spinach and a lil sliced white onion.

I would have to go with the chicken and dumplings as my all time favorite with a big plate of homemade yeast rolls to go with it!!  My mother in law makes the best of both!!  Crappie is my favorite fresh fish though, that is some good eating there now!!