Juke Box Split #2

piedpiper1968

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beethoven doesn't have to roll over.  Your talking about one of the original shit kickers of the times.

The first Romantic, who refused to bow down to the kings and queens of Europe back then, even when they still possessed considerable power.  He told this one king, "You rule your kingdom, and I'll rule mine, for kings may come and kings may go, but in all the world there is only one Beethoven."

And where once he deeply admired Napoleon, and had dedicated his amazing third symphony to him which on the title page was written,.. "In memory of a great man"  The minute he heard that Napoleon had just crowned himself emperor, he tore off that titled page, ripped a painting of Napoleon off his wall that Napoleon had given him, and threw it in the fireplace and shouted to his man servant to "Burn It!"

And once, while in France, and while still upstairs in his room getting ready for the assembled crowd of aristocratic admirers waiting for him downstairs.  He opened one of those little silver boxes there on his dresser that contained these black dots if you will, that the upper crust would often place on their face to enhance their chalk white, powdered up beauty.

As the servant knocked on his door and was telling him that he must hurry, for they are growing restless in waiting.  He heard Beethoven laughing to himself, almost uncontrollably. 

For you see, Beethoven thought, 'Hey, if one of these things should make you more beautiful, then a couple of dozen of then should make you look positively glorious.' 

And he plastered his face with them, thereby mocking their high fashioned customs of the times.

My kind of guy!  Love his music too.

Beethoven certainly doesn't need to rollover for anyone or anything, and certainly not to modern musicians. The ELO version is highly respectful. In fact, I think the song is actually a respectful compliment to the Great Composer.

Neither does Wagner need to make an excuse for himself or the power he imbued in his musical compositions (relax with a snifter of cognac and crank up the volume!):