Wine, Beer & Spirits -- Vins, Bières & Spiritueux

9 minutes ago, Thestarider said:

TBG I think we should invite echone to the old dudes thread ,  but the first round is on him though, and you bring some of those really nice Cubans from just south of you. we get Foamy to join us and we will tell a whole bunch of lies, and wild tales. What do you think ?

But this is "Old Dudes", Thes. Pay attention, or is it too early for you still?

6 hours ago, echoone said:

Guess I'm in the wrong part of the forum, overlooked the +40 part, my apologies, only 37yo here.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! to say it in Latin :biggrin: I'll be on my way out of here :cool:

Nonsense. "Old Dudes" is for people who don't act like they're idiots or under 18. Go ahead and post away. We're talking MENTAL age here, not PHYSICAL age.

We'll let you in the door. You obviously speak Latin. You automatically must be cool. And believe me, when I was 37, I fricken KNEW what a good adult beverage should taste like. Bring younger chicks with you if you can. We old dudes love to leer at them! :cool:

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Foamy T. Squirrel said:

Nonsense. "Old Dudes" is for people who don't act like they're idiots or under 18. Go ahead and post away. We're talking MENTAL age here, not PHYSICAL age.

We'll let you in the door. You obviously speak Latin. You automatically must be cool. And believe me, when I was 37, I fricken KNEW what a good adult beverage should taste like. Bring younger chicks with you if you can. We old dudes love to leer at them! :cool:

Cool.  Oh, if mental age counts I think I need to be in the retirement thread :cool:

Unfortunately I don't speak Latin, I only know the Latin phrases I can use or have used before.  There are quite a lot interesting phrases in Latin but the language itself is a bit obsolete though (unless you want to become a priest :biggrin:).  One of my favourite Latin quotes which is here at the right place: Dum vivimus, vivamus (while we live, let us enjoy life) :-)

Regarding "adult beverages".  If you like a good smooth inexpensive single malt to enjoy the 10yo Talisker is a good choice.  It's rather cheap (about 30 EUR) but decent enough to drink regularly.  However, if you don't drink much like I do I don't mind spending a bit more bucks on a bottle.  Currently I have the Bowmore 23yo Port Cask, the Belgian Golden Carolus single malt (a rather inexpensive bottle), the 10yo Talisker (cheap) and a bottle of Bruichladdich 23yo Black Art.  I used to have a whole collection but since I rarely really "drink" I decided to only have a couple of good bottles and even then I rarely empty them before I just replace them with other bottles.

• Upvote 1

It's your story, you tell it as you like. :biggrin:  Yeah, we like maturity and common sense here. Hard to come by any more.

Now about that 'collection' that is simply replaced. Mine is replaced on a weekly basis. 

Pull up a barstool and smoke 'em if you got 'em. We like good company. Leave your cell phone at the door.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, TBG 150 said:

Now about that 'collection' that is simply replaced. Mine is replaced on a weekly basis. 

Wow, mine about once a year and even then the bottles are rarely half. :biggrin:

The "problem" is that when you really take the time to enjoy a single malt it takes a while to finish it, even if it's only 2 to 3 centilitres.  Enjoying a malt starts with taking the right glass, a tulip shaped thin glass with a foot (contrary to the glasses mostly used, a thick broad glass which is the wrong choice).  The right kind of glass is necessary to experience your malt to the fullest.  Before drinking you need to take the time to swirl the malt and sniff it, while doing so you'll increase the temperature of the malt and it will release extra hidden odours.  So part of enjoying a malt is "playing" with it.  Then you either drink it or enjoy it like you where tasting wine, swirling it in your mouth, adding some air to maximise the experience.  And you can do it over and over again until the glass is empty and when "lucky" you notice flavours and odours that are new making it a pleasurable and time consuming experience.  Add a nice opera on the background (La traviata from Giuseppe Verdi example is a nice match to enjoy whisky tasting) and you'll have a pleasurable evening.

Guess I must be getting really old :biggrin:

You are correct. The glass is critical. Cognac and decent rum require a good snifter, preferably made of crystal. A good Scotch is similar. Personally, I never "down" it, unless it's a cheap whiskey. And I prefer to drink it with a woman who does it the same way, or a woman who is crass enough to drink it straight out of the bottle. Target acquired, in either case.

Don't drink peppermint Schnapps with a woman. I have odd and painful memories about that.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Peppermint Schnapps?    I've never had it.    Would that be the same as dropping a candy cane into a vat of moonshine?    I could see where that would be appealing at times.

"Here,.. Have some peppermint Schnapps darlin, it will help to loosen you up a bit, as will my right hand when I finally get around to it."  

Once, way back when, I made up this concoction that I then placed in a empty whisky bottle with my own personal label of a skull and crossbones on it, and with the words "Ghost Water" added right below it.

It was a dreadful mixture of some high grade alcohol, with some wine vinegar, sour lemons, salt, a little cigarette ash, and some black pepper, and I can't even remember what all else, as I got kind of carried away with it all.  

But I didn't piss in it, or anything like that.   In fact, it was actually pretty good stuff.   And it would really pucker up your lips.  Big time!   That much I do remember. 

Anyway, one night it got passed around during a poker game at my place where some of the guys were then gathered around.   But then a few months later one of the guys there by the name of Al Barron ended up spending some time in Vietnam.   And I hadn't seen him for quite a while after.    

Then one day at a welcome back party he introduced his then Vietnamese wife to me, and then added with a funny grin,.. "Do you still have any of that Ghost Water around?"   

Who knows, maybe I should have gone into the distillery business.   :sick:

• Upvote 2