Buyer's remorse

11 hours ago, BBsq69 said:

Obama took over in 2009 months after the banks had f***ed the world economy. The fact is relative to the rest of world (and to my belief largely because they are America rather than any personal/collective talents within the administration) the US performed really well.

I truly don't understand what point you're making.

22 hours ago, eagleb1 said:

I truly don't understand what point you're making.

It wasn't a difficult point but those figures that you showing as being a symbol of Obama's failure were due to world events (well specifically the toxic debts) and fucked every country in the world. Look at the figures for any developed country and my guess is they would look worse and some in cases much worse than that.

It is all about context. Without proper policing the banks gambled and lost and that's why 2008-2017 has been so shit. In the UK and Europe people are earning much less than they did before the crash. Poverty has increased massively. Hopefully in the future politicians of all colours will learn that banks lie, although recently they have seemed to start forgetting again.

As for share prices, well I remember they were ridiculously high in the 90s so much so in the UK it has taken 20 years for them to get 10% above that level, which should show you how much they represent economic reality. Basically if you lower the interest rates, shares become more attractive. As soon as the economies are strong enough to let interest rates rise (as has begun after a decade) shares may plateau. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BBsq69 said:

It wasn't a difficult point but those figures that you showing as being a symbol of Obama's failure were due to world events (well specifically the toxic debts) and fucked every country in the world. Look at the figures for any developed country and my guess is they would look worse and some in cases much worse than that.

It is all about context. Without proper policing the banks gambled and lost and that's why 2008-2017 has been so shit. In the UK and Europe people are earning much less than they did before the crash. Poverty has increased massively. Hopefully in the future politicians of all colours will learn that banks lie, although recently they have seemed to start forgetting again.

As for share prices, well I remember they were ridiculously high in the 90s so much so in the UK it has taken 20 years for them to get 10% above that level, which should show you how much they represent economic reality. Basically if you lower the interest rates, shares become more attractive. As soon as the economies are strong enough to let interest rates rise (as has begun after a decade) shares may plateau. 

Oh, I see.  You thought that I was agreeing with the post I quoted.  On the contrary, I was making the same points you made.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, tripod2 said:

Trump gets it right again and pardons Sheriff Joe .

I don't know who to feel more sorry about --- you or us.

Do you understand what he was charged with?  The 4th Amendment to OUR constitution prohibits unreasonable search and seizure.  Arpaio encouraged his deputies to require individuals to prove their legal right to be in the U.S. simply on the deputy's feeling that they might not have the correct documents. What might give them that feeling?  Maybe skin color or accent (unless it's a British accent.)  The courts ruled repeatedly that this was UNCONSTITUTIONAL.   There was at least one case of a U.S. citizen who was jailed because he couldn't (or wouldn't) produce proof.

So, understand the implications of this.  Trump could effectively ignore any any constitutional right by simply pardoning the actions of any of his supporters.  And they now know it.  I guess you're alright with that as long as it's not a right that you cherish.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, eagleb1 said:

Oh, I see.  You thought that I was agreeing with the post I quoted.  On the contrary, I was making the same points you made.

Apologies ... I was looking to quote the previous post. i.e. the misleading stats. My mistake.

On 8/24/2017 at 6:00 PM, BBsq69 said:

Obama took over in 2009 months after the banks had f***ed the world economy. The fact is relative to the rest of world (and to my belief largely because they are America rather than any personal/collective talents within the administration) the US performed really well.

Actually, the Community Reinvestment Act screwed up the economy in the US. It was a time-bomb, and it's still in place and has not be repealed.

Actually, the Community Reinvestment Act screwed up the economy in the US. It was a time-bomb, and it's still in place and has not be repealed.

The Dow Jones industrial average cannot be used for comparisons of economic health. The stocks that are selected for the average change over time, sometimes quite substantially. Furthermore, if the interest rate is held artificially low, the money moves out of banking into stocks which have a higher return. Also, if real estate crashes, the money investments move to stock or bonds, depending on whichever looks like the better deal.

Oddly, Presidents have little to do with what the stock market does; although generally it can be said that Congress is really good at fucking up the economy with short-sided pandering legislation.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Climate change real or fabricated, That is the question, and whether President Trump was correct in pulling out of the Paris Climate Accord. I present the evidence from the climate science community, where others present the Media's version,  well you decide ?

Beware there are many hours of scientific research presented in the videos. Climate and physical science from some of the very best minds who study climate.