America alone

On 6/7/2017 at 2:28 PM, BBsq69 said:

Mind you people voted for Brexit for the same reason to recreate the industrial world as it existed up to 1980/1990s...

Actually, the 80's and 90's were pretty damn good, at least in North America. There was a tremendous amount of technological progress, a great deal was accomplished to clean the environment, and telegraphy morphed into what we now call the Internet.

I once believed in Evolution as being logical, scientific and truthful; but I've overcome that and I'm now a firm believer in Human Devolution. It's the wave of the future, or so it appears. Serfs up!

11 hours ago, Foamy T. Squirrel said:

Actually, the 80's and 90's were pretty damn good, at least in North America.

For most of the UK the 80s were a disaster and then we had another severe dip in the early 90s. The 70s of course thanks to OPEC were a disaster but then the unions got too much power, so much so they brought down the government that supported them.

• Upvote 1

Just a note on something else. Size depends on genetics, diet, lifestyle and perhaps above all health. People in the UK in the Middle Ages were bigger than they were in the 18th century. That is less to do with evolution and more to do with appalling sanitation and diet. The 20th/21st century has seen a dramatic increase in the height of humans.    

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BBsq69 said:

Well that's a survey I read a few years ago and I'll never forget how shocked I was, but

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_support_for_evolution

Way back in the 70s I saw a pictorial, in Time Magazine, which showed the time lapse gestation of a human baby from ovum to fetus to birth and I was struck by the stages the baby went through. It was as if I were watching the time lapse show of evolution. It included the tadpole stage, then the loss of the tail, followed by ...well... you get the idea, all the way to birth. Not one stage of the path of the theorized human evolution was left out. Now, I already knew how it worked but had never seen it put into perspective like that. I was already skeptical creationism but after reading the article I just couldn't imagine any being so dense they could so easily dismiss that kind of evidence. Now that I'm older I still can't understand why anyone would.

• Upvote 1

Everybody has valid points, and thusly the arguments goes nowhere. In the US the conservatives are not certain of the doomsday, just as certain as the liberals are. Neither argument can be proven without a catastrophe, and I know many people have various examples of catastrophes occurring now - but they too have embedded arguments. And as I am told the Cold Age was completely unavoidable but did not destroy the earth.

In America it is all about old school politics and old school money. This is the threat that President Trump poses. He is not a politician, and his money is first generation. If he is successful then the politicians would lose their stranglehold on the US Government. This is why John McCain will never support Trump. McCain, as the career politician, has the most to lose. This is what the people who voted for Trump want. That and a new direction (which every president promises).

Now then, I said all that to say this; The US never became bound by the Koyoto Protocol despite President Clinton having signed it.... only to be handed down to the conservative administration of George W. Clinton was able to successfully work with the republican congress to tackle many economic problems, but not the Koyoto Protocol. Why would you be surprised now? 

Well, I am not surprised at all, rather angry. The U.S. have always been reluctant to participate in international conventions, especially if the U.N. is behind them, starting from the Human Rights Declaration. I guess the U.S. politicians have always regarded themselves as superior compared to those of the more modest countries, just like the British have thought of themselves compared to other European countries (there is fog in the English Channel, the continent is isolated). But Trump´s America Alone policy gives the global leadership voluntarily to new powers like China, India, the E.U. Once lost, it may be difficult to get the leadership back.

Some Europeans don't quite understand the point of their cousins coming over to America because they were sick of Europe and wanted independence from it. It wasn't just breaking from the King of England, it also included breaking away from the Dutch Reformed Church and every other European institution.

Then, apparently, the Europeans blew themselves up for the second time in the 20th Century, and suddenly nobody was around to police commerce except for the United States and the Soviet Union. Neither of these two nations had any experience with policing the high seas or keeping a lid on world problems. Give them a break. They're the little kids on the block.

But looking back, I'm sure some of you would have preferred to be under Soviet control rather than buying Cokes and KFC or spending so much time on computers that were designed by evil money-grubbing US corporations. I'd be better off tending to my own business rather than providing for your upkeep.

It's not arrogance; some of us just don't want to play your game.

• Upvote 2

On 6/9/2017 at 8:57 AM, ww_watcher said:

Way back in the 70s I saw a pictorial, in Time Magazine, which showed the time lapse gestation of a human baby from ovum to fetus to birth and I was struck by the stages the baby went through. It was as if I were watching the time lapse show of evolution. It included the tadpole stage, then the loss of the tail, followed by ...well... you get the idea, all the way to birth. Not one stage of the path of the theorized human evolution was left out. Now, I already knew how it worked but had never seen it put into perspective like that. I was already skeptical creationism but after reading the article I just couldn't imagine any being so dense they could so easily dismiss that kind of evidence. Now that I'm older I still can't understand why anyone would.

I always question surveys. And there is a place for science in our lives, and it has brought us longevity, better health, a better diet, and better understanding of the universe and our lives.

When someone you love dies, however, science is useless with helping our emotions or spirits cope with the loss. We face issues which science can say is a fact, but it cannot help us understand that which is unknowable. Hence, we must rely on faith.

I certainly believe in Evolution, but my previous comment regarding Devolution was based on the fact that some people incorrectly apply and distort both Science and Religion to affirm their own deconstructive illusions. Powerful governments, historically, have been the biggest culprits in this regard, and they do this to expand their political and economic power.

Individuals, generally, can get along well once they know each other and understand they have the same humanistic needs.

On 6/8/2017 at 8:59 PM, ipiratemedia said:

I met God, in battle. I curse him at a young age when I lost the person that matter to me, my Mom. He found a way to let us know he was with us. I cannot explain it. We Marines, never fear death, until it comes calling. Believing in your heart, that God will save you. All we remembered, there was peace, which came over us. I do not enjoy sharing stories about death and remembering what took place. I know, I am a hated warrior, here on this forum, and accept the things in life, because I was giving a second chance. So, it does not bother me or even, if I don't receive likes.

You are not at all hated on this forum. I respect and appreciate your comments. Thank you for your service to our Nation.

God bless the U.S. Marines. I would not be here without them.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2017 at 2:24 AM, Foamy T. Squirrel said:

Some Europeans don't quite understand the point of their cousins coming over to America because they were sick of Europe and wanted independence from it. It wasn't just breaking from the King of England, it also included breaking away from the Dutch Reformed Church and every other European institution.

Then, apparently, the Europeans blew themselves up for the second time in the 20th Century, and suddenly nobody was around to police commerce except for the United States and the Soviet Union. Neither of these two nations had any experience with policing the high seas or keeping a lid on world problems. Give them a break. They're the little kids on the block.

But looking back, I'm sure some of you would have preferred to be under Soviet control rather than buying Cokes and KFC or spending so much time on computers that were designed by evil money-grubbing US corporations. I'd be better off tending to my own business rather than providing for your upkeep.

It's not arrogance; some of us just don't want to play your game.

This is very true. Foamy the Americans had to step in because simply no-one else would. The British Empire had collapsed and we were left devastated after the war ... that's a different subject ... and it was the US or the SU. Having visited Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union during the cold war, I can tell you what those people thought of communist rule and let me tell you their were very few happy faces behind the iron curtain. There was deep hatred of the regimes anywhere.

I can tell you that Corbyn and his friends still cling to the world view that the US are the bad guys (well with friends like Saudi and Israel I can understand why people might be confused) but I believe in freedom and, however poor it is, democracy and I know that comes from America and not the rest of the world. Certain countries in Europe do their bit: Britain and France probably more heavily involved in Africa than most people know and we have seen senmark, since the cartoon business, keen to help against extremism but many European states do almost nothing.

Back to the original point, some of the US's actions we have put down to being a young country - I mean young as being diplomatically young because obviously we have had centuries dealing with foreign powers on her doorsteps fighting wars for 2000 years - but I think that is becoming much less true. Britain have always had a tendency to follow the US, whereas most of the rest just keep quiet often waiting to see what others do. The exception is of course France which is bold nation, even if their performance in the 2 World Wars was less than impressive, who plough their own independent path and are never afraid to say what they think. But critics of the US should remember they largely do nothing so have not much right to complain when the US does something.

There are 3 main problems in the world: 

1. China - quite frankly we in Europe don't care about them as they are too far away. Their expansion into the Pacific and influence over a lot of third world countries is not something that worries us in the same way as it worries the States.

2. Jihadists - we have just been too tolerant at what are to my mind some disgraceful beliefs. To me Jihadists are like the KKK but whereas the KKK are a few thousand and are abhorred by most Christians, there are hundreds of thousand of Jihadists who have widespread support against the Muslim community and are backed by billions of dollars from the Gulf. When people say we are only threatened by 1 or 2 Islamist nutters, they really are burying the heads in the sand.

3. Russia - no longer communist but every bit as imperialist as they were under Stalin. Trump needs to recognise who the hell Putin is. We in Europe do not not trust the Russians and certainly don't think their re-expansion is stopping any time soon.

• Upvote 2