The NFL and the National Anthem

4 hours ago, RAGNAR said:

Ok, without relying on leftist or conservative websites. Let me try this. Each case is different. They involve different cops in different cities and different suspects. We would have to evaluate the merits of each case to determine if a cop was innocent or guilty. Oh wait! We already do that, it’s called the justice system. So, each case is tried in the court system, where there are numerous requirements that have to be met in order to convict someone of a specific crime. So, what exactly are they protesting? That the justice system is faulty somehow? If so, then how so? Specifically, how so? Rather then dropping a knee how about explaining how the justice system is flawed and deal with it that way? You may say, well they are bringing the issue to light. But this has been going on for over a year, exactly what has this protest accomplished? What change has been made to the justice system? The answer is none! Because there is almost nothing to change. In every case the district attorney had to pick a charge that they think they can win and then run the cop through the system based on the evidence available just like any other court proceeding. I’m sorry, but this protest is not serving any purpose other then to drive a wedge between people who deeply view the nathional anthem as an honor to the men and women in uniform who protect our freedom. Now you may say, well the men in uniform are also protecting the protestors freedom to take a knee, but here’s the problem with that. This is not their place to do it. That is, they aren’t on the field representing themselves, they are at work and the moment they step on the field they are representing the company they work for and the city they live in. They are protesting on someone else’s dime, not their own. It’s not the right place, it offends the wrong people, it politicizes a sport, it is divisive, and ultimately it serves no purpose because it does not point to a specific issue that needs to be corrected in the justice system. It’s simply finger pointing and accusation without solid merit. Feel free to tell me exactly what part of the court proceeding needs to be fixed. Then we can argue about that. This protest is misplaced nonsense. The idea that cops, as a whole or in general, are targeting black people for death is nonsense. 

...and another thing. Cops are not equal to the citizens. They just aren’t! Here’s why. In exchange for putting themselves in harms way, cops are given something that the average citizen is not given, at least not to this extent, and that is this, “the benefit of the doubt”. If society did not afford cops this benefit, cops would hesitate or would simply refuse to walk into dangerous situations. This is actually the result these protests have gained for black Americans. Less safe neighborshoods because cops, fearing the loss of that benefit, simply refuse to patrol those areas well. They hesitate and lurk rather than take a chance and end up in court defending themselves. Yes, these protests are actually doing far more harm to actual black people than they are doing any good. The only good they are doing is giving overpaid athletes an opportunity to “look good” as if they were actually doing something about a problem that does not exist. Remember, every single case is it’s own case, you can not make generalizations against all cops simply because the results of those cases didn’t go your way. What the protesters seem to want is for the court system to find cops guilty automatically, regardless of the facts and evidence, simply to right a perceived wrong. While that may feel good, it would be wholly unfair to the cop in question in that specific case. 

So, to conclude, if you or these protesters have an issue with the court system, bring it up with them and the politicians who put them in power and write the rules, but for goodness sakes, leave the national anthem and neutrality of sports out of it. By in large most Americans view the national anthem as a way to honor the the men and women who protect us and to honor the feedom and opportunity afforded to us all as Americans. As well, most Americans view sports as a neutral place to escape the agony of politics that seems to have invaded all aspects of our lives. I won’t watch football until it returns to being non-political. Simple as that!

• Like 5

Following players kneeling during the National Anthem over the weekend, a number of subscribers requested compensation from the cable provider.

DirecTV is offering refunds for its NFL Sunday Ticket product to customers who are upset that players are protesting during the National Anthem. 

While DirecTV and the NFL were unavailable for comment, a customer service representative confirmed that refunds are being offered. The news was reported earlier Tuesday by the Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg.

The football package can cost up to $300 for the season, but there are a variety of discounts available. Usually, there's a grace period, then refunds are not offered, but a customer representative said refunds are being given after the normal grace period when subscribers complain they're offended by players who have been kneeling during the National Anthem.

Sep 25, 2017 at 1:03pm

Post by The Washroom Attendant on Sep 25, 2017 at 1:03pm

There is a YouTube channel out there, called "NFL Burn Notice" that is run by a guy who will post the video's of anyone who burns their NFL shit.
Go check it out on You Tube 100's of videos already. This is taking off like the ice bucket challenge.

Wonderful how this all American NFL player treats a fan for calling him out on his protest of the National Anthem, Brandon Marshall should be fined and made to sit out some games for this shit, but the gutless Roger Goddell (The so-called Commissioner of the NFL) won't do anything about it. Pete Roselle is turning over in his grave.

Alvin Ray "Pete" Rozelle (/rˈzɛl/; March 1, 1926 – December 6, 1996) was the commissioner of the National Football League for nearly thirty years, from January 1960 to November 1989, when he retired from office. He is credited with making the NFL into one of the most successful sports leagues in the world

C"MON MAN.... DA Coach speaks out MIKE DITKA

Mike Ditka Doesn't Think NFL Players Should Demonstrate "Against the Constitution": GLENDALE, AZ - JANUARY 25: Former American football player, coach, and television commentator Mike Ditka during the 2015 Pro Bowl at University of Phoenix Stadium on January 25, 2015 in Glendale, Arizona.

"But I don't believe you demonstrate against the American flag. I believe in the American flag. Or demonstrate against the Constitution. I believe in the Constitution. I'm old fashioned. There are other ways to get your point across. But I don't believe one should demonstrate against our country. Just play football.

"I think it's a problem. Anybody who disrespects this country and the flag. If they don't like the country they don't like our flag, get the hell out. My choice is, I like this country, I respect our flag, and I don't see all the atrocities going on in this country that people say are going on," Ditka said. "I see opportunities if people want to look for opportunity. Now, if they don't want to look for them then you can find problems with anything, but this is the land of opportunity because you can be anything you want to be if you work. If you don't work, that's a different problem."

Kneeling is a basic human position where one or both knees touch the ground. It is used as a resting position, during childbirth and as an expression of reverence and submission. Also often tied with the phrase "taking a knee" which is a sign of compassion as well as honoring the fallen or injured.    it look like the NFL players are showing respect to the fallen and the injured by kneeling but its being miss read  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kneeling

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mikeusa said:

Kneeling is a basic human position where one or both knees touch the ground. It is used as a resting position, during childbirth and as an expression of reverence and submission. Also often tied with the phrase "taking a knee" which is a sign of compassion as well as honoring the fallen or injured.    it look like the NFL players are showing respect to the fallen and the injured by kneeling but its being miss read

So is raising the fist with a black glove just like the black panthers did in the 60's for black power Mike isn't it ? "C'mon man" to coin a phrase from one of the greatest coaches ever in the NFL :biggrin: What about those who sit on their asses during the National Anthem, I guess that is respecting the fallen as well ?

14 minutes ago, Thestarider said:

So is raising the fist with a black glove just like the black panthers did in the 60's for black power Mike isn't it ? "C'mon man" to coin a phrase from of the greatest coaches ever in the NFL :biggrin:

The 1968 Olympics Black Power salute was a political demonstration conducted by African-American athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos during their medal ceremony at the 1968 Summer Olympics in the Olympic Stadium in Mexico City. After having won gold and bronze medals respectively in the 200 meter running event, they turned on the podium to face their flags, and to hear the American national anthem, "The Star-Spangled Banner". Each athlete raised a black-gloved fist, and kept them raised until the anthem had finished. In addition, Smith, Carlos, and Australian silver medalist Peter Norman all wore human rights badges on their jackets. In his autobiography, Silent Gesture, Smith stated that the gesture was not a "Black Power" salute, but a "human rights salute". The event is regarded as one of the most overtly political statements in the history of the modern Olympic Games   you mean this here ?

• Like 1