The NFL and the National Anthem

okay yes I do agree with both of your guys comments @happyone  and @Amy3  I know that the government can not do any thing about it because of the first amendment that states. First Amendment - Religion and Expression. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. like I said the NFL players are using the freedom of speech  and also this nothing more then a none-violent protest.  but there is no law that said  you should stand during the national anthem..  but you can kneel during the nation anthem that is your freedom of expression. I'm still going to watch the NFL

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mikeusa said:

. I'm still going to watch the NFL

And that is your right--aren't you glad you live in the USA --too bad you and others side with the people who do not wish to honor the symbols of our country that

provides that freedom.

BTW I am sure that the leaders of the other non free world countries are applauding that spectacle.

1 hour ago, happyone said:

And that is your right--aren't you glad you live in the USA --too bad you and others side with the people who do not wish to honor the symbols of our country that

provides that freedom.

BTW I am sure that the leaders of the other non free world countries are applauding that spectacle.

I do honor the symbols of our country  so do not tell me that I don't and I also respect our bill of rights also  and respect others people opinion  I'm being for real with all of you 

Edited by mikeusa
add words
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Amy3 said:

The only reason why they started “taking the knee” is because they knew that it’s would serve as cover for their actions. Remember the original stance was sitting on the bench ingnoring the anthem entirely. The protest style is evolving for a reason. That is, it is evolving as a means to disrespect this nation while giving the appearance of respect. That’s called a lie, whether they sit, they kneel, they lock arms, they refuse to even show up on the field, what have you. Anything short of standing at attention in silence is not acceptable behavior during this ceremony. Since this event is happening while the players are at work (on the field) they are expected to be respectful to the event whether they agree with it or not. Think of it like this. Pretend you’re invited to a wedding and there is a dance where everyone joins in. During the dance they play a song that is awful and you don’t like it. What do you do at the end of the dance? Do you take a knee? That is, do you make an ugly race and bitch about the song choice? No, you don’t, you stand there and smile and you clap along with everyone else. Why? Cause it’s not your wedding, it’s not your place to complain or express your grievances. It’s the same thing on the football field. This is not their place to protest anything. Prior to this, the NFL restricted any sort of honoring or protesting because they knew it would create dire consequences. For some reason, Roger Goddell forgot those reasons and caved. Now, the consequences will make their appearance. The NFL fucked up big time!

Good post Amy! Talk about taking cover, the Saints plan to take a knee at the start of the national anthem, then they are going to stand up! I guess they think that will satisy everyone and offend no one, what a joke

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-how-nate-boyer-got-colin-kaepernick-to-go-from-sitting-to-kneeling/

a very interesting short read.

For the other part, the NFL, I thought the whole thing was over what Trump said and they showed up that weekend united against Trump's, son of a bitch comment.

Do you think Trump already knew the player was unemployed and just pulled some people strings for whatever reason?

I have not read all 6 pages but I have read the last couple and some of what MikeUSA posted.   It seems to me (and forgive me if this was already mentioned) that what is offensive to many people is the outright lack of respect that this action caused to be felt for those who served and continue to serve their country.    Also and probably more importantly,  to those parents, spouses, siblings, children and friends of those who died or are disabled and disfigured while serving.  To lose a loved one in this manner is very hard and wreaks havoc on families. 

I was always taught that to stand was to show respect and honor those who have fought for this country and serve to protect it and all of us.   We all of course, have the right to do many things that are not against the law.  People have the right not to stand.  But I maintain they have a responsibility to do so - for all that died and were injured for that right.  It shows respect for them and that (IMHO) is what this should be about. Those who served so we have those rights.

35 minutes ago, mikeusa said:

I do honor the symbols of our country  so do not tell me that I don't and I also respect our bill of rights also  and respect others people opinion  I'm being for real with all of you 

Read my statement again--I said "too bad you and others side with the people who do not wish to honor the symbols"

And I will add that the more people that do side with them, the more embolden they become.--It's the herd mentality.

1 hour ago, happyone said:

Read my statement again--I said "too bad you and others side with the people who do not wish to honor the symbols"

And I will add that the more people that do side with them, the more embolden they become.--It's the herd mentality.

okay I got it now my bad I miss understood.  I just read what colin kaepernike said I will post it here for you all to see.  Before a preseason game in 2016, Kaepernick sat down, as opposed to the tradition of standing, during the playing of "The Star-Spangled Banner". During a post-game interview, he explained his position stating, "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder", referencing a series of events that led to the Black Lives Matter movement and adding that he would continue to protest until he feels like "[the American flag] represents what it's supposed to represent".[52][53][54] In the 49ers' final 2016 preseason game on September 1, 2016, Kaepernick opted to kneel during the U.S. national anthem rather than sit as he did in their previous games. He explained his decision to switch was an attempt to show more respect to former and current U.S. military members while still protesting during the anthem after having a conversation with former NFL player and U.S. military veteran Nate Boyer.[55] After the September 2016 police shootings of Terence Crutcher and Keith Lamont Scott,[56] Kaepernick commented publicly on the shootings saying, "this is a perfect example of what this is about.     okay what are your guys thoughts 

• Like 1

"Of course you have the right to protest, this is land of the free and Deeemocraseee after all so go on right ahead and... whoa, whoa, whoa, the hell you think you're doing boy?  You can protest but just do it in a way that doesn't catch my attention."

Bullshit.

The NFL has learned in one week what it took Hillary Clinton almost two years to find out, and that is, more people agree with Donald Trump.

Sales of NFL tickets at the online ticket re-seller site TickPick have cratered, dropping off 17.9 percent which is a number far worse than the average Week 3 drop off, according to the Washington Examiner.

The NFL sales at TickPick dropped 17.9 percent this week, nearly double the 10.8 percent drop-off during Week 3 in 2016.

The lack of viewers for Thursday night’s NFL game between the Packers and the Bears proved that pushing politics on one of the populace’s favorite sport just drives them away.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, CBS reported that 2017’s debut of Thursday Night Football is down a whopping 14 percent compared to the 2016 opener.

The lack of viewers for Thursday night’s NFL game between the Packers and the Bears proved that pushing politics on one of the populace’s favorite sport just drives them away.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, CBS reported that 2017’s debut of Thursday Night Football is down a whopping 14 percent compared to the 2016 opener.

Compared with the Nielsen ratings of the National Football League’s 2016 season, this year's viewership of televised games for the first three weeks has dropped 11 percent – an indication that fans are fed up with players playing politics … instead of football.

Roger Goddell is a pussy for not enforcing the NFL"s own rule about respecting the great flag of this country and the playing of the National Anthem. Trump needs to fire Roger Goddell if the owners don't do it first.

Drain the NFL swamp !!!

The NBA sent a memo late Friday to teams reinforcing its rule that players and coaches stand for the national anthem, suggesting other ways in which they might address the recent protest movement sweeping across the NFL and other sports.

The memo, a copy of which was obtained by ESPN, was distributed by deputy commissioner Mark Tatum. It instructs teams that "the league office will determine how to deal with any possible instance in which a player, coach, or trainer does not stand for the anthem."

The memo states that individual teams "do not have the discretion to waive" the rule that players, coaches and staff stand for the anthem. The league has the discretion to discipline players who violate the rule. It is not clear if the league would exercise it in the event of any protest. 

Now that is how we as god loving Americans respect our great flag, and the national anthem. This is how we have always shown respect in the public arena of athletics. 

Ladies and gentlemen, would you please stand, remove your hats, and face the flag for the playing of the National Anthem. and afterward a local pastor always says a prayer for the players safety and fans.

Last night I went to our local High school football game, it was the 100th meeting of a long standing rivalry,, NO protest just a great game that we lost 28 to 27. After the game was over and players shook hands, The Referees, the coach's, and players, and cheerleaders all met in the middle of the field and those who chose not to pray with them stood behind in respect for their right to pray after the game.

I think these overpaid professional athletes could learn a little something from these high school kids !!! BTW our High School is 72% Hispanic with an Afro American head coach.

• Like 2

The NFL's own rules! Like I said, it's not a players place to protest anything. Roger Goodell should be fired or at the very least fined and reprimanded

"The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses."

• Like 2