BREX(SH)IT

18 hours ago, ipiratemedia said:

A higher percentage of the British people say, Brexit has never been the will of the people – Yes, we are similar. To use the whip or not: Whether and when party group leaders use disciplinary measures to achieve voting unity. Corbyn's critics say a better opposition leader could defeat the Tories and prevent a ruinous departure from the EU. Some even argue that he is complicit in the disaster that awaits his country. IMO, they're wrong... 19.gif.2c08cf8d0d257117d8193ada81c4864f.gif

Don't start me on Corbyn, joey! LOL And of course there is a further problem in that the SNP pretend they are in a separate country and have shown no respect to their own referendum but that's an entirely different story and the DUP who have noticed that Northern Ireland voted to Remain. Today the leaders of the Scottish and Welsh parliament/assembly will also be consulted but of course, since nobody in Northern Ireland will sit with any one else and Sinn Fein won't even sit in the UK parliament, Northern Ireland don't even have an active assembly.

• Like 1

From the BBC to save me explaining:

Here is a brief rundown of the amendments that have been tabled to tonight's bill:

• 13 & 14 - tabled by Labour's Yvette Cooper: This is a simple re-drafting of parts of the bill
  • 20 - tabled by Tory MP George Eustice: Limits the extension to 30 June
  • 21 - tabled by Tory MP George Eustice: Takes out the requirement for the prime minister to put the EU’s chosen extension date to MPs
  • 22 - tabled by Brexit Secretary Stephen Barclay: Ensures that nothing in this bill rules out the government extending Article 50 in a different way
  • 1 - tabled by Tory MP Anne Main: Limits the government to a 22 May extension
  • 6 - tabled by Tory MP Sir Bill Cash: Ensures the extension is subject to approval by the devolved bodies
  • New Clause 4 - tabled by Tory MP Sir Bill Cash: Prevents amendments to standing orders during these extension motions - standing orders are the rules that govern the proceedings of Parliament
  • New Clause 5 - tabled by Tory MP Sir Bill Cash: Limits an extension to 22 May
  • New Clause 7 - tabled by Tory MP Sir Bill Cash: Ensures that an extension would not result in the UK taking part in elections to the European Parliament
  • New Clause 13 - tabled by Brexit Secretary Stephen Barclay: Amends the EU Withdrawal Act to make it easier to change the exit date in UK law

Just to explain who Bill Cash is. He's been about the most fervent anti-EU MP for a very long time. Most thought he would join UKIP. He never did but it is where he belonged. Not quite sure why the Brexit Secretary is the Brexit Secretary because he like most of the cabinet does not seem to mind leaving on a No Deal which the house of Commons has voted out and I think May has now ruled out although the EU may kick us out with No Deal anyway.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Foamy T. Squirrel said:

How many factors in a UK person's life should be controlled and dictated by group of nations that are hell-bent on their own gains?

I haven't heard an answer from English CC members on that yet...

The technical answer to that is that doesn't really happen. Of course it is in the interest of some to claim that it does.

Yvette Cooper's bill - it won by one vote - has put forward that the PM needs to ask for another extension BUT not only does the House of Lords have to ratify it but if and when they do there is no guarantee the EU will accept it. I don't know about this because it seemed next week was concentrating May and Corbyn's minds. 

13 hours ago, BBsq69 said:

Don't start me on Corbyn, joey! LOL And of course there is a further problem in that the SNP pretend they are in a separate country and have shown no respect to their own referendum but that's an entirely different story and the DUP who have noticed that Northern Ireland voted to Remain. Today the leaders of the Scottish and Welsh parliament/assembly will also be consulted but of course, since nobody in Northern Ireland will sit with any one else and Sinn Fein won't even sit in the UK parliament, Northern Ireland don't even have an active assembly.

I have to call you out on your remark SNP pretend etc,etc,.Some of us wish to be a separate country  but until we can achieve this(if at all) there is know pretence  whatsover here.Scotland as you well know is still part of the UK and to say we "pretend" is an insult to our intelligence.Some of us (the minority) wish to be independent but until that happens we are still integrated in the UK governmental system albeit with a devolved government.As for your opinion on our referendum I am assuming you are an expert on Scottish politics,opinions and attitudes.

• Upvote 1

On 4/4/2019 at 10:58 AM, Dave 27 said:

I have to call you out on your remark SNP pretend etc,etc,.Some of us wish to be a separate country  but until we can achieve this(if at all) there is know pretence  whatsover here.Scotland as you well know is still part of the UK and to say we "pretend" is an insult to our intelligence.Some of us (the minority) wish to be independent but until that happens we are still integrated in the UK governmental system albeit with a devolved government.As for your opinion on our referendum I am assuming you are an expert on Scottish politics,opinions and attitudes.

I shan't engage with you on the rest but the SNP held an independence referendum and voted to stay in the UK - I would have voted for independence myself had I been Scottish (and I lived in Scotland for 5 years and have several Scottish friends almost none of whom live in Scotland any longer) - but that having happened the vote was a national one (as in nation state recognised by the UN) which is what I meant. So of course Scotland a seperate country (I apologise for that) but in the context of EU referendum it was not and should abide by the result. I would have been delighted if this had been a federal decision (at 2-2 not conclusive) but it was not it was a UK decision and that was always clear. Come to the European Political forum and we can discuss it further there. I am sure you can find much to criticise me on but I will defend myself.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BBsq69 said:

I shan't engage with you on the rest but the SNP held an independence referendum and voted to stay in the UK - I would have voted for independence myself had I been Scottish (and I lived in Scotland for 5 years and have several Scottish friends almost none of whom live in Scotland any longer) - but that having happened the vote was a national one (as in nation state recognised by the UN) which is what I meant. So of course Scotland a seperate country (I apologise for that) but in the context of EU referendum it was not and should abide by the result. I would have been delighted if this had been a federal decision (at 2-2 not) conclusive but it was not it was a UK decision and that was always clear. Come to the European Political forum and we can discuss it further there. I am sure you can find much to criticise me on but I will defend myself.

Hi,Thanks for responding.I will get back to you soon.I had a whole load of stuff ready to send to you but stupidly logged out by mistake and lost the lot and now have no time at the moment to start again.I am pretty rubbish at techy stuff.I am not nearly as well versed as you in politics but I can comment here and their and will get back to you.I will just say that I will not be criticising you,I was taught to disagree respectfully with other people's opinions.Speak soon hopefully with something interesting to say.

• Upvote 1

Well who knows what is going on? The Conservative (Tory) - Labour talks are in deadlock. The House of Commons appears to be waiting for whatever happens with May. The House of Lords has voted that May must ask for an extension making it statute. May is asking for an extension anyway. She's hoping for June 30th - political point that this interferes with the social season of the Tories (Henley, Wimbledon, Lord's Test Match, Royal Ascot  ... and maybe even the Debutante's Ball) and that tends to upset the Tory grandees and there families - but - and this sentence it being to feel like Brexit - the Europeans are likely to have lost all faith that that is a realistic aim since she still is not compromising.

But what "really grinds their gears" is that the EU elections are coming up which means the people the UK will send are likely to hate Europe and the right wing of the Conservative party has said they should disrupt the European parliament - like 5 year old children - if elected or worse UKIP will be back who disrupt as a matter of course, all because of a failure of our PM, cabinet, government and parliament. Remember the EU have had no say in this. Ireland is a member of their club and of course they are going to support them rather than a nation that intends to leave as soon as it can find the right door. So they are already annoyed and I think just maybe they might push it another year tomorrow but then May has been unable to deliver.