DID YOU KNOW???

Guest Squirrel

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Squirrel for your interesting explanation of dialect and pronunciation. I can understand how English varies around the world but what fascinates me is how English varies between very small regions of our very small island.

Even within the great county of Yorkshire, each of the Ridings (the regions that inspired the 'Lord of the Rings' - a did you know!) local accents differ so much that understanding each other often proves impossible! Modern travel doesn't seem to have alleviated local accents.

Very interesting.

Try combining Caribbean accents and Spanish accents into US English. You just look at them and say, Huh? Then you get that they speak perfect English and that you should understand them fine. Whatever.

The amount of dialects is astounding just here in the states. Go up into Canada and listen to a Newfie speak. Impossible to understand. Some of the deep south states where there is such a heavy accent adding they most have a mouthful of chewing terbacky, they understand each other fine.

Being partially deaf from years of loud machinery makes it a real challenge for me to communicate with a lot of people.

Guest Squirrel

Are you calling me a swamp creature from the Everglades?

And are you sure that you're not an English Professor that retired to do whatever it is that you do?

Nope. Referring to your less desirable neighbors. Myself, I'm surrounded by meth freaks.

And if I had been a professor, I'd be relaxing and living off a nifty pension.

I have been here for 56+ years and I'm still learning how to spell it.  There should be only one way to spell to, too and two. Because I pronounce it  one way.  people know what word I mean by the way I say it or use it in a sentence.   I drove a lot to teachers nuts because I was a not conformist of the 60's.

Between the 2 of us, we put a few in Belleview, I'm sure. I hated English class, and math, and political science, and history was totally boring.

I liked science, wood shop, metal shop, our auto restoration classes, etc... Anything to stay standing and working with my hands. Sitting in a boring class put me to sleep in seconds. Sometimes I woke up 3 classes later, looked around and didn't know any one. Talk about embarrassing?

Guest Squirrel

We went there for the possible interactions with the girls. Face it. It's a fact. I don't have any idea how intellectual development occurred during that time period without the lure of the females.

Of course, I didn't go to an all-male school, so I don't know about that end of it...